SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What's your favorite taco
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite taco Login/Join 
posted
The recent popularity of quesabirria tacos has resulted in taquerias and taco trunks upping their food game and getting creative. My default taco filling is pastor if its on the vertical spit, otherwise carnitas is the basic. However, if cochinita is on the menu, I'm trying it. Carne asada I avoid, too many places screw it up and dry up the meat.

Question:
What's your go-to, 'if it's on the menu, I order it' taco meat filling?

Choices:
Carne Asada
Pastor
Carnitas
Cochinita Pibil
Birria
Fish
Suadero
Barbacoa

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I screwed up on my voting, but Al Pastor is my favorite! I am spoiled because I have so many great Taqueria’s in my vicinity.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I put pastor but I would go with Lengua as mine with some cilantro, onions, salsa, and a squeeze of lime. A roasted pepper on the side if available.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Which one is ground beef?

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I put pastor but I would go with Lengua as mine with some cilantro, onions, salsa, and a squeeze of lime. A roasted pepper on the side if available.

Exactly this.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6254 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Which one is ground beef?

+1 to this, Which one is some good, done ground beef like Taco Mayo?

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Done right, I don't think there is a better taco than crispy fried tripas.

I'd probably take barbacoa or al pastor next, although I have a real soft spot for carnitas, too.

Baja-style fried fish or shrimp tacos with red cabbage and chipotle are great, too.

I grew up eating barbacoa and tripas on hunting trips in south Texas.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:

Exactly this.

Can't say I've had lengua tacos, but have liked lengua the couple times I've had it. Would definitely try on tacos.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If your choices I voted carnitas, but I’m pretty partial to trompo tacos.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Maybe the crispy shell rolled chicken tacos with guacamole from Carmen’s, my favorite San Diego taco shop. Comes with rice+beans by default, but I order beans+beans instead. So good!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Brisket taco. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I just love it when I can get the tacos where the shell came right out of the fryer, the meat put in, and the shell squeezed around it. Where to add toppings you have to pull it apart.

Ok, I'm going out for tacos today.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Best taco I ever had was in Puerto Vallarta in a dive restaurant next to a bus stop. Al pastor, roasted on a rotating vertical spit over hardwood coals, carved fresh, with onions, cilantro, and a thin slice of pineapple on a double layer of soft corn tortillas.

In restaurants, my favorite is brisket tacos. At home, I always make skirt steak tacos, a staple in my house.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
My youngest son was surfing the Baja years ago and stopped at a van beside the highway. Not a food truck; just a van. The vendor pointed to son's beer, made the batter with it, fried the fresh fish. Best fish taco ever. Of course, fish tacos are now ruined for him, as is surfing Jax Beach.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Cochinita (super slow roasted pork with great flavor)
2. Birria (slow roasted beef with dipping sauce) Mexican French Dip
3. Pastor (vertical roasted Mexican-Lebanese pork hybrid)

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Bunch of amateurs around here... Roll Eyes

Tripa and Buche are offal tasty.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Why no choices for Soft Taco Supreme or a Gordita? Big Grin

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I love a good fish taco with some fresh lemon or lime squeezed on. Provided it's done with a good fresh white fish that not named tilapia. Cod, grouper or haddock make a great taco. There are more expensive fish that would work such as sea bass, but that would defeat the idea of a taco being an inexpensive meal.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fresh, catch of the day, fish tacos are hard to beat.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My favorite taco is the one on my plate

Posts: 107261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post