SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bridge on the River Kwai
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bridge on the River Kwai Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Never watched this movie all the way through. Just seen bits and pieces here and there. Watched half of it last night and will finish the rest tonight. Good flick, so far. Watching on amazon prime.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Madness! Madness!

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of the best, from an era of classic epic war films.

Lawrence of Arabia should be next, especially if you also have never seen that. Also directed by David Lean, and it's an even bigger epic. (You can rent it for $4 through Amazon Prime.)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The end of the book is different than the movie.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Unfortunately, an all too common practice in film-making. Frequently, a changed ending is the least of what Hollywood does to books they make into movies. Sometimes, the only thing a film has in common with a book upon which it is based is the title and the vaguest of details.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be happy in your work!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I LOL'd when the Japanese officer said "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I LOL'd when the Japanese officer said "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."
IIRC, Saito tells Nicholson that he attended college in the United States.

**edit**

Just checked it. Saito tells Nicholson he spent three years in London and studied at "the London Polytechnic."

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Finished watching it last night. It was a very good movie and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'll have to watch it again to see if I missed anything the first time.

In reality, I wonder how many POW's that escaped prison camps in WWII actually were asked to participate or lead missions back their captors.

Tony.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I always laughed at William Holden’s line in Stalag 17 about even if you did escape they’d send you to the pacific and you’d end up in a Japanese prison camp. Smile

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the great leadership lessons/dilemmas in movies.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Watched it again for the umpteenth time. I just imagine what it would have looked like from a fresh print on a great big ol' 1957 sized movie screen.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:

I've never read the book. How did it end?

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I remember watching this with my Father when I was a young boy. My Father really enjoyed watching this and so did I.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Lawrence of Arabia should be next, especially if you also have never seen that. Also directed by David Lean, and it's an even bigger epic. (You can rent it for $4 through Amazon Prime.)

And follow that up with Doctor Zhivago. An absolute masterpiece.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

In reality, I wonder how many POW's that escaped prison camps in WWII actually were asked to participate or lead missions back their captors.

Tony.

This sort of thing happened quite a bit in the Philippines.
Several escaped from the death march or fled before the initial capture and there was an active Philippine resistance to support them. The best known are Wendel Fertig, Robert Lapham, and Russell Volckmann.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...s_in_the_Philippines

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

My all-time favorite movie. My father took my brother and me to see it in its original theater run. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it since.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Lawrence was a great film I saw it a few years ago for free when I had Comcast. I watched it a couple of times and really liked it. I don't know exactly what location it was filmed at, but the scenery took me back to the Jordanian mountains surrounding Petra and my time in Bahrain, UAE and Kuwait.

Tony.