SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Andy Griffith Show
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Andy Griffith Show Login/Join 
posted
Any fans of the show here? Brought this up because last night they played my favorite episode, the one where the escaped female prisoners take Barney and Floyd captive in the cabin. What's your favorite episode or remembrance of the show?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I watch one or two episodes every night. A few of my favorites:

- Opie kills the bird
- Andy and Helen trapped in the mine
- Barney gets a motor cycle

I watch that show and am awestruck when they reference the living townsfolk who fought in WW1.

It just was not that long ago.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
Do you know why everybody in Mayberry was so happy? Because everyone was single but Otis and he stayed drunk! Smile

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Andy Griffith is one of the reasons I do not watch contemporary TV, I watch an episode almost every day. Even my college age son, Mr. Modern Day Entertainment, admits that it is a well done show. The B&W episodes with Barney are the only ones I'll watch, the last three seasons I tend to avoid.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to live in a town like Mayberry . Peaceful ...

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Gomer is my favorite character, but only with Barney as the foil.

Best is the "Haunted House", followed "Citizens Arrest."

I could go on...

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Nothing beats the few episodes with Ernest T. Bass Big Grin

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
CITIZEN'S ARREST.....CITIZEN'S ARREST!!!

And the episode where Barney goes undercover to catch a shoplifter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite line: Andy to Gomer: "And take that gun out of your mouth!"

The Christmas episode is probably my favorite.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Even though I know life was never really quite like that, I do like the show, and enjoy the idea that life was more like that.

Andy Griffith was genuinely entertaining. A more modern version of a Mark Twain and Will Rodgers. He is a lot of the appeal of the show.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
The one where Barney brought up an old case and everyone was getting punched in the nose.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like Ernest T

I think the show is on Netflix.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one's mentioned the Darlings.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Love the show, but only the B&W episodes. Once Barney left, and they went to color, the whole feel of the show changed for the worse.

My wife and I have a daily routine where I say "Morning Dear", and she says "Morning Honey" like the Boones in "Andy the Marriage Counselor."

My favorite episode is "The Loaded Goat" in which farmer Cy Hudgens brings his goat to town, and "Jimmy" eats a bunch of dynamite.

My favorite character is Floyd (pre-stroke). Howard McNear was supposedly the actor who was most like his character.

Favorite guest appearance would be a tie between Susan Oliver in "Prisoner of Love" and Barbara Eden in "The Manacurist." There was something about those early 60's looks and styles that resonates with me to this day.

Of course, no TAGS post would be complete without mentioning "Mr Schwump", that non-speaking background character who appeared in a few episodes but had no credit mentions.

So, yes, you can say I like the show. We used to watch it at work at lunch time, and the running bet was how quickly after the episode started that I could tell everyone the plot.

Oh, yeah, one last thing: Helen was a bitch.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I watch that show and am awestruck when they reference the living townsfolk who fought in WW1

As the show was on in the early 60's, those fighting in WWI would only be in their 60's at that point.

As far as Ernest T., he was better known as a director and for his voice overs.

Howard Morris was a classically trained Shakespearean actor but started his television career as a sketch comedy artist in Sid Caesar’s Your Show of Shows. He’s best known for his wild “mountain-man” character Ernest T. Bass, going off on never-ending temper-tantrum tangents trying to impress his “Sweet Romeena.” The lesson learned: never trust a man the size of a Fig Newton carrying a sack full of bricks.

Life after Mayberry found Morris playing a variety of voices in many Hanna-Barbera series including The Jetsons and The Flintstones. He was the original voice of Atom Ant, and provided the original vocalizations for the Hamburglar in the 1971 McDonald’s ad campaign. In the 1980s, he was the voice of Wade Duck, a regular character on the cartoon series Garfield and Friends. Mel Brooks cast him a few of his films including the 1977 comedy High Anxiety. Morris died of a heart ailment in 2005 at the age of 85.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm06...io?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
it's a fabulous show... pretty amazing what can be done with such a simple premise. favorite episodes would include anything with the Darlings, but specifically Mountain Wedding with Ernest T. Hard to believe such a distinct character was only in 5 episodes.

I also love the episode where Gomer sings Santo Lucia for Barney.

I think Barney may be my favorite TV character of all time.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Aunt Bee, the Juror
It's one of two episodes with Jack Nicholson in it.

Check it out at the 10:00 mark

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Link to online episodes of Andy Griffith

Cornmuerchial free!

They are all on Amazon Prime too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post