SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Stanley Kubrick's Birthday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stanley Kubrick's Birthday Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Actually it's tomorrow (7/26). Here's a list of the films he directed:

1999 Eyes Wide Shut
1987 Full Metal Jacket
1980 The Shining
1975 Barry Lyndon
1971 A Clockwork Orange
1968 2001: A Space Odyssey
1964 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
1962 Lolita
1960 Spartacus
1957 Paths of Glory
1956 The Killing
1955 Killer's Kiss
1953 The Seafarers (Documentary short)
1953 Fear and Desire
1951 Day of the Fight (Documentary short)
1951 Flying Padre (Documentary short)
Link

That's a pretty remarkable body of work: It would be hard to pick a favorite. I especially like his choice of music.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I forgot he died that long ago - 1999.

He made an impressive number of very good movies.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
GOAT to me, by a country mile. Am a huge fan. I know Para is a big fan of Barry Lyndon, as am I. The distribution rights have to be very tight because they never air it on cable/satellite. The low light he filmed in, the special cameras he made to shoot it, I still marvel at the man’s eye. The infrequency at which he made films shows you how many years he invested into each. I only wish he would have made it to direct AI instead of Spielberg although Steven did a decent job taking over Stanley’s project and finishing it. My favorite tidbit about Stanley is how much power he wielded, well I should say respect. He absolutely did not get fucked with by the studio or producers. When the English youth started forming gangs and committing violent acts after A Clockwork Orange Stanley single handedly made a phone call and had the film pulled from theaters in England. Never heard of another director having that kind of power or authority. He truly had artistic control over anything he did. Kubrick’s next project after AI was supposed to be a film about Napoleon, a long time obsession of his. I wish he had lived to make it. He had worked on it since the early 1960’s on and off throughout his career. He is sorely missed. The greatest director of all time, controlling writing, editing, etc, and never received an Oscar for direction shows how fucked the Academy is.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Big fan here, FMJ is on my "All Time Greats" list, the other ain't bad either. Cool

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post