SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Alone - History Channel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alone - History Channel Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Any of you guys watch this show? One of my all time favorites. Just finished season 6 and the winner is one of my favorite winners yet.

He was recently on with Joe Rogan and they spent a couple hours talking about his experiences after 77 days in the Canadian wilderness.

This dude has lived in Siberia and living solo outdoors is more of a lifestyle than a hobby for him.

In the show he killed a moose with a recurve and a pesky wolverine who kept steeling his stored fat.

As “reality shows” go, this is pretty close. Contestants drag their own cameras around and are checked in once a week by medical staff.

if you are interested, Season 6 is available on NetFlix.

Here is the link to Rogan’s interview:
https://podcruncher.co/play/4wkk

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
It's one of the few "reality" programs my wife and I watch and enjoy. This latest season was spectacular. I won't give any spoilers, but the ability of the finalists to survive both physically and mentally was really impressive. The risks are certainly real and it wouldn't be surprising to see someone get seriously injured or worse, if they didn't how thin the line from "reasonable" chances to do something like getting fresh protein to unreasonably dangerous.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
We just finished season 1 and we loved it! Haven't bonded with any character in season 2 though.

I knew Alan was going to win season 1 after getting into a few episodes.

I am a little suspicious of some scripting, like someone quitting after day 1.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've watched a couple seasons online but don't recall which. They certainly changed it a bit, the first one everyone is constantly afraid of getting killed, sleeping in holes and starving. The next season everyone's doing pretty well, more gear, more food and building little Gilligan's Island lifestyles.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Checked out a few episodes of Season 1. So far, it is interesting but it is going to have to move beyond the "there's an animal, come get me"

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Not only would my brother win that show he'd thrive and try to talk them into leaving him there permanently.
I've been trying to get him into that contest since I first heard about it.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
good show... amazing that dude killed a moose and still lost tons of weight and was in pretty rough shape because of how lean the meat is. Couldn't get enough fat (and a bunch got stolen by critters.) there was another dude who was in really good shape physically and from a prep standpoint who just decided that he missed his family and decided it wasn't worth it. would have loved to see how that guy fared over another 4-6 weeks.

anybody know where the other seasons are available?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
That is the only show I have watched every episode of every season, and I really enjoy it, and no matter how many times I think I could do that, I realize uhhhhm who am I kidding.

Archerman

Posts: 2485 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It'd funny watching people catch fish or game and clean them like normal and only eat the meat. When you're in a situation like that with no other nutrition going in, you need to eat everything. Even then you can still end up like the moose guy, plenty of protein and still staving to death.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
good show... amazing that dude killed a moose and still lost tons of weight and was in pretty rough shape because of how lean the meat is. Couldn't get enough fat (and a bunch got stolen by critters.) there was another dude who was in really good shape physically and from a prep standpoint who just decided that he missed his family and decided it wasn't worth it. would have loved to see how that guy fared over another 4-6 weeks.

anybody know where the other seasons are available?

One of the things I like about Alone is being able to see the importance that mental attitude plays in addition to bushcraft. Even those with the most knowledge of how to survive in the wild, vary in terms of their ability to cope with the loneliness of their situation. It was interesting to see how much this still mattered in the most recent season, where there was no uncertainty about the maximum length of time the challenge would continue. I really loved the way some of the contestants would create diversions for dealing with their loneliness, but ultimately you could tell who's core personality best fit the challenge presented.

You can get previous seasons of Alone here: https://www.history.com/shows/alone/season-1

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
So I’m glad I began with season 6, because season 1 is brutal. I get that contestants didn’t know anything about the show yet and that the ‘best of the best’ likely had not applied, but for fucks sake. Before day 8:

- At least 2 or 3 tapped out because they saw bear by their camp
- Another few were already ‘crying’ to the camera that they were ‘so lonely and missed their family.
- 1 dude lost his fire flint and quit the same day....while he had a burning fire
- 1 dude netted a salmon and then cleaned, cooked, and ate it in his tent...then was shocked when a cougar started poking around
- etc etc etc

Look, I get that this is supposed to be hard, but I’ve been solo camping for years and don’t even think of missing anyone while I’m out.

My girlfriend offered some perspective that I though was interesting. Most of they guys are 30 years old or younger; they’ve grown up with Facebook, cel phones, and social media. Ripping the bandaid off and taking that away from them is probably pretty shocking....maybe, but tapping out on day ONE because you saw a bear by your tent?

Did I add the the contestants are all equipped with flares and bear mace?

I have to think even the producers were like....”have tapped out after 5 days”?

Hoping that with each season the contestants get a little stronger.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
So I’m glad I began with season 6, because season 1 is brutal. I get that contestants didn’t know anything about the show yet and that the ‘best of the best’ likely had not applied, but for fucks sake. Before day 8:

- At least 2 or 3 tapped out because they saw bear by their camp
- Another few were already ‘crying’ to the camera that they were ‘so lonely and missed their family.
- 1 dude lost his fire flint and quit the same day....while he had a burning fire
- 1 dude netted a salmon and then cleaned, cooked, and ate it in his tent...then was shocked when a cougar started poking around
- etc etc etc

Look, I get that this is supposed to be hard, but I’ve been solo camping for years and don’t even think of missing anyone while I’m out.

My girlfriend offered some perspective that I though was interesting. Most of they guys are 30 years old or younger; they’ve grown up with Facebook, cel phones, and social media. Ripping the bandaid off and taking that away from them is probably pretty shocking....maybe, but tapping out on day ONE because you saw a bear by your tent?

Did I add the the contestants are all equipped with flares and bear mace?

I have to think even the producers were like....”have tapped out after 5 days”?

Hoping that with each season the contestants get a little stronger.

You should watch the first to leave in Season 2.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I have seen a few episodes of every season, mostly reruns due to it doesn't come on til 2200 and I am asleep. The shows I have seen I have enjoyed. Some of the shelters are well built.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
3/4 thru season two. I like to believe I’d be Allen from season 1.

I think I’m more likely Larry from season 2. #swear...Swear...swear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I liked the show. Thanks for the reminder that new seasons are up.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We watch

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Just finished season 7. The winner lasted 100 days in the Arctic and won $1Million.

I’m guessing he might be the first competitor to actually gain weight on that show; dude was a freaking beast who pretty much makes all of the other season winners look like complete amateurs.

Not really a spoiler, you figure out after about 2 episodes that if he does not get hurt, he will win.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just finishing up the last one. I’d recommend taking breaks between seasons. Good show but very repetitive if your watch it all back to back.