SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    DayZ (ARMA 2 mod, not the standalone)
Page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DayZ (ARMA 2 mod, not the standalone) Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You may need to verify steam and DayZ launcher files. although, if the timestamp of your post is correct, the server was restarting.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
It's telling me "Session Lost" when I try to log in right now.

I had that problem. Had to verify my files in steam. Somehow a windows update had nuked a file. Downloaded the file and it fixed my issue.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I think if there enough folks on, we'll do a last man event. Sledges, axes, maybe chainsaws.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I built a base!! If your ever on swing by Zub and check out my home.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8846 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
It's almost the weekend. Forecast here is rain, rain, and then more rain. That means time for some DayZ carnage.

Hope some of you guys get in there this weekend. Imma gonna stock up on RPGs and Satchel Charges.

Somebody check on Nala and see if we can get her special kind of murderous rampage to run amok.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Loading loot from dead AI into a funbulance... DayZ!

Arc.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Rule 1 of DayZ- Check your Map
Rule 2 of DayZ- Check your Map

So I'm at my base minding my own business. Spent quite a while locked up inside sorting gear and deciding what to take to the trader. Checked my map and all was clear. No missions near me. Then I remembered something else I wanted to do so I spent a few minutes sorting stuff and locking up my safes. Evidently I missed the message on a new mission spawning.

I opened my garage door, jumped into the BTR and backed out of my base. When I backed halfway through the door I realized my mistake. An AI ran up to my BTR and either satchel charged me or was the victim of friendly fire when my BTR was hit by a rocket. Due to a weird exception with the programming I got kicked. When I logged back in I was under my still running but severely damaged BTR. I CHECKED MY MAP. A bandit mission had spawned on top of my base. The average mission has a spawn circle radius of 300 meters. My base was about 45 meters from center. Ugh.

I managed to crawl into my base. My BTR was blocking the doorway so no AI was getting in. I made sure I stashed most of my good stuff before my inevitable death and made my way to the roof of my base. I was able to kill exactly one bad guy before his friends repaid me in like manner.
I spawned back into game and started working my way home.

MYROTTIETY joined the game and asked my how I was doing. I gave him the sitrep and he started trying to snipe from his base. Unfortunately heavy fog made this impossible. I found a cop car and sped to the trader at KLEN. I took some money out of the bank, and headed to the Hero trader for an armed death ball. I flew the death ball to Rottiety, and he jumped in as gunner. We hovered over the mission blasting away at AI. We learned a good lesson. At an altitude of 600, the AI can't see us, at 500 they can. Rottiety gave them them hell and then we dropped to 500. Deathballs are the clown car of DayZ. Impossible to fit two human beings inside them, but we still do. So it's a clown car, if that clown car was based on the Ford Pinto. If anyone looks at one wrong, it explodes with the fury of a thousand suns. An AI made contact with a spitball and we died gloriously.

we spawned back in and had just enough time to retrieve our bodies before restart. After restart the mission was gone and after replacing a wheel on the BTR it was as good as new.

Check the map.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check the map.

Or just as you finish a bandit mission. Clean up and bury bodies have a hero mission spawn right on top of you.

Also the L115 is money for any missions with a clear sight. I cleared a bandit mission by myself the other day with one. You even clip a AI's pinky or little toe they go down like they were RPGd.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I followed the rules. Truly I did. NOTHING on the map. So I wondered down to Mowgli and started sniping zombies to get used to the Vintorez and build a little humanity.

All of a sudden I'm hit. Serpentine...Serpentine...

I make it about 30 yards and duck behind a tree. Two dudes are lighting that tree up, one with an AK-74, the other with a Remington 870. I didn't hear a vehicle approach so I didn't think it would be AI. Checked the Hud and saw no other players in the server. This was two AI just wandering the map. I lean out and gut shoot both of them.

I bandage and wait a few minutes in case they had friends. Finally I creep up, and check these guys out. No names. One was a pilot the other just some random guy. I loot them and bury the bodies.

Just goes to show, in DayZ you can follow the rules, but they're just there to give you a false sense of security.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Ok,

So to chronicle the adventures of Sigforum in Dayz... I'll tell a slightly boring story since I don't have nearly the gift of storytelling that ASG has.

So I log on tonight, about halfway to server reset, and Thunder and Rotty are attacking the super massive AI base up north.

They are taking turn getting killed (or more accurately, Rotty is being a bullet sponge as Thunder is taking them down).

So Rotty gets killed, goes and buys a helo, and picks me up.

We get back up and Thunder is laying waste to them with his .338 sniper rifle. I am laying suppressing fire with my MG36 and we are doing well. But after killing nearly 20 of the bad guys, those two are out of bullets (surprise, surprise) and we bug out.

The plan is to fly to the trader, rearm, each with .338 rifles, get a shit ton more mags (5 rounds per mag doesnt go very far when you can't get closer that 600m. These AI are super AI and engage you with accurate fire at 600m).

So as we log, somehow Thunder's chopper gets glitched into the trees. He stubbornly tries to fly it out, and you can imagine the results of attempting to take off a chopper from the middle of a goddamn forest. Rotty and I fly up 700m above him to watch the fireworks.

Somehow, Thunder ejects after his rotors hit the trees and his chopper turns into a falling fireball...

So we get all loaded up, each of us with a .338 sniper rifle, me with an AK 74 suppressed as well, we are loaded for bear, and have 3 hours to pick off all these AI pricks.

WE fly up there, hoof it 1000m into position (earlier, the AI shot them down in a chopper from a long ways off, so we take no chances, we are going to approach on foot, from an elevated position in teh woods.)

So we set up in a half moon formation, recon the enemy position, and each draw a bead on a bad guy. We count out, 3.... 2.... 1... FIRE!!! 3 bad guys go down. The AI bad guys panic and run around, but don't see us. Thunder takes out a couple, Rotty took out a few as well.

Shoot and move boys, shoot and move!

I got 3 of them before I start taking rounds on my position. Holy hell, these pricks are putting accurate fire on my position in a tree line at about 600m.

Next thing I know, Rotty takes a round to the face. I instantly draw a bead on his murderer, and take him down. I circle around, loot his corpse and get his 150,000.00 sniper rifle, and his suppressed SCAR and all his ammo (he actually brought enough ammo this time).

I circle around, taking shots and dropping more AI. I've killed 7 so far, and each of them at least 2, if not more.

Rotty decides he is done for the night, because sadly, real life interferes with the goddamn zombie apocalypse as it tends to do.

So then it is just me and Thunder... I take up a new position, behind a tree, got a good view of 3 guys, just standing in the open, waiting to take my .338 rounds in the face from 650m.

I slow my heart rate, breath in, breathe halfway out, hold it, and slowly squeeze the trigger....

BOOM! another bandit AI goes down, with a giant hole where his chest used to be...

Then i IMMEDIATELY start taking fire, get wounded and go unconscious. One of the AI had charged me through the woods and killed me, with a M16 round from 17m away. How in the hell he snuck up that close I don't know.

Somehow, they never saw thunder who was only 40m to my right.

But now, it is nearly 4 am, and Thunder has a real life too and isn't willing to compromise it like I am.

So now he has to find my body and take all of our sweet guns, the ones I had, plus the ones i saved from Rotty's smoking corpse.

So he flies back, after making multiple trips to carry all the expensive weapons 1000m back to our ex filtration choppers.

He picks me up, we fly, limping and licking our wounds.

Each time we took out nearly 20 bandits and there were still a ton of them fucking us right back. Not to mention a circling bandit AI chopper that if i understand correctly, will land and dismount more bandits once you enter the compound.

In my estimation, we will need at least double our 3 man force to take this, and that may even take a designated "runner" in a helo ready to fly and pick up re spawned players and bring them right back into the fight.

Or call Hannibal, BA Baracus, Faceman and Murdoch flying us there. If we had them (and some bad ass theme music) we might be able to pull it off.

Which reminds me, Arc, can we get a black panel van in the game? I want my A-Team van.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
designated "runner" in a helo ready to fly and pick up re spawned players and bring them right back into the fight.

I think is key. This would be a huge time saver. Probably 2x people and 1x runner could get the job done in the 3 hours. We should definitely set it up like this next time. Runner be a hero so he can have extra ammo in chopper from Hero trader.

Logistics was main reason I logged. I just didn't have the heart to get on the bike and start pedaling. While you guys were 20,000k to the north.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
It's ok Charlie, I've got an angle.

Further recon and analysis shows that 3 could take this base down. More would be better but 3 could do it with careful planning and patience.

Plan( subject to change)

1) Any attack needs to start immediately upon server restart to afford enough time to be cautious and account for our many inevitable deaths.

2) Prior to restart, several preps need to be made.
a) Lockable helicopters placed strategically to allow for resupply as necessary(crater and field northeast of base for example). This to include at least one gunship, if not two, fully armed with additional minigun ammo.
b) mozzies or lockable littlebirds or deathballs placed along the coast all keyed the same(we can do that now) to allow for quick return upon respawn( best done on a slow server night).

3) Immediately upon restart grenade tripwires are placed on forested hill at about 400-500 meters from base. This to destroy any AI that tries to flank or assault, and serve as an early warning.

4) On Go, anti-aircraft and .50's are taken out from 600 meters. There are only two anti-aircraft emplacements.

5) Once anti-aircraft is taken out, at least one gunship with miniguns makes assault on base, while sniper on hill makes additional attacks with .338 and RPGs.

6) We don't stop shooting until that place is leveled.

7) Time for a Guinness.

The trick to surviving a little bird crash is to eject at precisely the right moment and hit the ground running. So far I've managed to channel my inner action hero and do this twice. It's genius when it works. Fiery and respawny when it doesn't. So when is the precise moment to eject? I don't have a clue, I just rely on the golden horseshoe that I obviously have shoved up my ass.

Remember..."Careful planning and respect for the ability of the enemy is key to all successful campaigns."- G.A. Custer

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Kevin needs to issue parking tickets.

Arc.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Kevin needs to issue parking tickets.

HA!

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
If I get a chance. I may make a run with some 338 rifles & some RPGs. Stash a safe up there on the hill. Stock it full of goodies and some med gear.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Arc,

I know you said Durn was still sorting out the loot for the AI base. Do we know what's actually there. Either way I'm sure I'll spend more to clear it than I make in loot. But that's okay.

Just curious what was actually there.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
It's still a random selection from the loot table, it needs to be bumped up.

Arc.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
So, apparently you kids are still farting around on that server.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Just a little bumparoo because these stories are important.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I miss my castle Zub. Frown

I’ve been playing with finding a new server.