SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    DayZ (ARMA 2 mod, not the standalone)
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 47
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DayZ (ARMA 2 mod, not the standalone) Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted
Any of you nerds playing this? I've had it for a long while but last I tried left a bad taste in my mouth, clunky and extra, extra, extra hardcore (as one might expect from anything within a block and a half of the ARMA name). Like you start out with nothing in some Slavic shithole teeming with zombies kind of hardcore, you gotta scavenge for hatchets and guns.

Anyhow, one of my friends is balls out for it and convinced my cousin and myself to come on back, this time in a different version of the mod called DayZ Epoch. It's much, much, much more forgiving and has more to do without relying on other players, there are vendors where you can buy and sell items, weapons, even vehicles. This particular server starts you out with a Makarov, a few basic supplies and some money. Not enough to let you go and take anyone else on, unless they just spawned like you, but item drops are more numerous and usually more useful equipment. Things like hunting knives and AK74s instead of empty whiskey bottles and crushed pop cans.

We played for like seven hours, it's not a game you can just pop into and get a few minutes in before you gotta pop out again to do adult stuff, still we got in like seven hours of just hardcore nerd-on-nerd, post-apocalyptic action.

We found an ambulance, named it the Funbulance, and rode around in this convoy. Some guy saw use parked at a gas station scaving but decided he didn't want to mess with us, we took after him anyhow, I fired up the roof, and we chased him down this dark, winding road, the blue of my emergency light stabbing out in the inky darkness between the pines. We lost him but made our point, which was there's more of us and we have a fucking ambulance.

Eventually some dickfaced cockmaster showed up and shot us all in the face, except our drunk buddy Miller who was sitting in the passenger seat of one of the SUVs. He was off peeing or getting another beer or trying to get some lovin' from his ladyfriend when the murder went down. But this guy stole the SUV with Miller in it, apparently he thought Miller was a glitched corpse and left him alone. Meanwhile we're just having him wait until the thief leaves the truck somewhere so he can steal it back, which he did, upsetting the thief greatly.

I think my only real complaint is that the game didn't come out ten or fifteen years ago or I was born ten or fifteen years too early, so I could have that teenage command of time. Homework? Fuck that, I got zombies to run over in my Funbulance. Job? What for, mommy makes my dindins, I need to raid this hospital for more children's chewable morphine!

Bottom line, if you've got ARMA 2, Op Arrowhead, and aren't afraid of wasting a whole night smelling like balls as you run from raiders, look into DayZ.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Nobody? C'mon, there's gotta be a few of you, I bet Jester has farted around with it some.

quote:

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I played it for awhile when it first came out and the best I could get was a Lever Action Rifle... I would always get mauled by a group that had mil-grade weaponry.... got bored of being slaughtered all of the time so I gave up on it.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
I played it for awhile when it first came out and the best I could get was a Lever Action Rifle... I would always get mauled by a group that had mil-grade weaponry.... got bored of being slaughtered all of the time so I gave up on it.

-Tom

That was one of my problems too. It works a lot better if you have a group, it's definitely not something you can solo unless you wanna go ultra-mega-mega hard mode.

My final straw, originally, was it took like an hour and a half for me, my cousin and drunk Miller to all get together since the game spawned us a million miles away from each other. So the cousin and I meet up in this little town and we're waiting for Miller, he's found himself a bike, finally he rolls into town on this bike ringing the fucking bell so he's got this horde a mile long just sprinting after him. Needless to say it was just like prom night, we got fucked and I ragequit.

Epoch is better, but it's still ever so helpful to have friends playing, especially sociopath friends who will do all the terrible things to other people that other people try to do to you.

quote:

In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have to say, you could write a blog about the adventures of drunk miller and I'd read it Wink

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
I have to say, you could write a blog about the adventures of drunk miller and I'd read it Wink
Yeah, just let him slip upon the opponents. Wall of kamikaze.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
You have my attention asg there is a standalone version either out now or coming soon.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
You have my attention asg there is a standalone version either out now or coming soon.

Yeah, I don't know nothing about the standalone, it's available on Steam, but it's in Alpha so it sucks everything. Like a child, a baby really. It's putting everything in it's mouth and sucking.

I guess some chuds rolled into our camp and raided the place. I was off getting dindins for my parents when it went down. They took all our guns and blew up this truck with a .50 on it, but they left our SUVs, GAZ and the Funbulance alone. So now we're gonna go get the stuff needed to build a permanent base that random sluts can't just knock over.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

Miller has this amazing ability to fuck things up and then unfuck them. He also talks waaaaaay too much. He was in the Marines and did intelligence, allegedly was an interrogator but we don't ask and he doesn't talk much about it which lends credibility, since usually fakes just wanna talk about how many Rambos they could fight at once. Anyhow, because of that he just dumps information at us. We'll be playing Battlefield and he'll take three minutes to tell us everything about this tank coming out of the enemy base. When he's done we ask where it's at and find out that someone else took care of it a few minutes ago.

It's even worse when he's drunk. We spent like five minutes arguing about one of our SUVs because he couldn't understand it was one of ours, we have three vehicles in this convoy, Nala just pulled her's out and drove it around the block to get in line rather than do a 3,000 point turn in the middle of this little town's streets. It's a good thing Miller had no ammo for his Makarov otherwise he probably would have shot someone.

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I don't know nothing about the standalone, it's available on Steam, but it's in Alpha so it sucks everything. Like a child, a baby really. It's putting everything in it's mouth and sucking.

I guess some chuds rolled into our camp and raided the place. I was off getting dindins for my parents when it went down. They took all our guns and blew up this truck with a .50 on it, but they left our SUVs, GAZ and the Funbulance alone. So now we're gonna go get the stuff needed to build a permanent base that random sluts can't just knock over.

That's pretty much what the reviews I read said. I'm pretty excited about that one.

BUT, looks like ARMA 2 is 9.99 on Steam right now. Does this mod cost anything? Which mod is this? I'd like to play it and that seems like a cheap thrill.

One thing i read about the stand alone is that you are never really "offline." That is tough for me as with all these crappy "grown up" responsibilities, I can't get online for days at a time.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's pretty much what the reviews I read said. I'm pretty excited about that one.

BUT, looks like ARMA 2 is 9.99 on Steam right now. Does this mod cost anything? Which mod is this? I'd like to play it and that seems like a cheap thrill.

One thing i read about the stand alone is that you are never really "offline." That is tough for me as with all these crappy "grown up" responsibilities, I can't get online for days at a time.

Remember, you need ARMA 2 and Op Arrowhead. After that go download DayZ Commander, it's this sort of browser for the game that keeps it updated, DayZ Commander costs nothing and neither do the mods.

I don't know how the standalone will do it, but in the mod you yourself can log out of the game and anything you have on your person goes with you, but anything you leave in the game world is pretty much fair game. My friend Nala found some guy's camp and filled his tent with empty soup cans. Why? Because she's a sociopath and fuck that guy. Fuck that stranger. Fuck him for having the audacity to put a tent somewhere and play the game. The inventory system is kind of clunky so it's a real dick move. There are ways to keep your in game stuff safe from bandits and the like, but it's still a bit more advanced than what we've gotten.

Like I was saying, I wish this game came out when I was in junior high/high school, back before responsibility. Even working at the arcade this would have been a great time, but now, here we are being all adults and shit. It's not faaaaaaiiiiiiiirrrrrr!

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:

Remember, you need ARMA 2 and Op Arrowhead. After that go download DayZ Commander, it's this sort of browser for the game that keeps it updated, DayZ Commander costs nothing and neither do the mods.

I don't know how the standalone will do it, but in the mod you yourself can log out of the game and anything you have on your person goes with you, but anything you leave in the game world is pretty much fair game. My friend Nala found some guy's camp and filled his tent with empty soup cans. Why? Because she's a sociopath and fuck that guy. Fuck that stranger. Fuck him for having the audacity to put a tent somewhere and play the game. The inventory system is kind of clunky so it's a real dick move. There are ways to keep your in game stuff safe from bandits and the like, but it's still a bit more advanced than what we've gotten.

Like I was saying, I wish this game came out when I was in junior high/high school, back before responsibility. Even working at the arcade this would have been a great time, but now, here we are being all adults and shit. It's not faaaaaaiiiiiiiirrrrrr!

I agree. If this had been out when i was in high school and could still have major gaming sessions....

So i need both ARMA 2 and the expansion... I'll look into the price. Sounds pretty fun. I'll have to give it a shot.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. If this had been out when i was in high school and could still have major gaming sessions....

So i need both ARMA 2 and the expansion... I'll look into the price. Sounds pretty fun. I'll have to give it a shot.

You might want to trick, err, I mean convince some friends to get it too. Unless you want to just run around as a complete and total asshole, not caring if you die or not so long as you can be a murdering psychopath. It might actually be healthy, release all your pent up frustrations into Chernarus. You'll be the most well-adjusted cop the department has ever seen.

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:

You might want to trick, err, I mean convince some friends to get it too. Unless you want to just run around as a complete and total asshole, not caring if you die or not so long as you can be a murdering psychopath. It might actually be healthy, release all your pent up frustrations into Chernarus. You'll be the most well-adjusted cop the department has ever seen.

Ha. Sadly, I have very few friends who game anymore. The real world unfortunately caught up with all of us. Maybe a few SF's may start playing and we could play together.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ha. Sadly, I have very few friends who game anymore. The real world unfortunately caught up with all of us. Maybe a few SF's may start playing and we could play together.

Aye, it's sad, people leaving their virtual lives for real lives. Don't they know real life literally has poop on it?

In any case, here's the IP for the server I and my band of wasteland scavengers play: 173.234.122.234:2332 Get the games, get DayZ Commander, update it paying attention to the DayZ Epoch mod halfway down the list (there's a lot of mods apparently), when that's all done, click in the Favorites and put that IP into the field to add it. Then prepare to have your hair go prematurely white from frustration. I'm Guvnuh, my cousin is Impregnasaur, Shay is our sociopath girl and Eric is the illustrious and drunken Miller's name in game. See us on and maybe we can meet up and hopefully not kill each other.

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out. I have friday - sunday off and may try to get on then.

I've been following the upcoming stand along version for a bit now, with anticipation.

I've done some reading on the mod, and it sounds like fun. Is there any death penalty except losing your stuff and starting over? Any timed respawn or anything?

One of the most frustrating things about online gaming are the griefers. I'm not talking about solid gameplay, but the douche bags that get off on making games miserable for everyone else to get their rocks off. I like games that make it a significant enough penalty that few people want to take the risk.

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Yesterday when we got our shit jacked it was by a griefer. His answer when I called him an asshole was "it's DayZ." I get it, he's playing a raider, I'm fine with that, but don't start with that "U MAD BRO!?" style shit. Just own up to the fact that you're an asshole and didn't need to kill us, kudos on a successful raid on a numerically superior force, you kind of fucked up when you didn't think to put a couple rounds in Miller's head as he sat right next to you.

When you die there is a countdown but it's seconds. Each server might have it's own settings though, so be aware that jumping into one server might be totally different from another. The server we're on, like I said, starts you out with a Makarov, another might not start you with anything, or maybe a Lee-Enfield or an AK74 or a goddamned RPG7, who knows.

I'm playing right now and we've spent the past 45 minutes trading with NPC traders so we can acquire the parts to build a base. Some guy came up and pickpocketed Nala and he was gonna try and sell this G36 she had, until I came around the corner, now there's two of us. Sure in the trader cities it's a safe zone so you can't kill each other, but he's gotta leave sometime since you can't logout while in the safe zones. He thought it best to give the gun back.

WHen I first got in it was right after the server reset and we had to hide from these guys roaming up and down the coast looking for fresh spawns, they had them some big Chevy SUV with a remote .50 on top, all we had were hatchets and suppressed Makarovs. They were clearly griefer dicks, but it was exciting knowing that we had to hide out from these chuds or they would straight murder us for what little gear we had.

quote:

The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post

Found me a cop uniform, bought us a Militia patrol car which we promptly resold since it was a gutless piece of shit, as you'd expect any commie civilian vehicle. Had it just long enough to dress up like a Chernarus cop and pose in front of it. With my blue and white Braveheart facepaint. I should have aviators as well, but for some reason it doesn't always load them, there's a glitch.

I forgot to mention, there is penalties for how good or how bad you are. There are several trade areas and apparently some of them are aligned with good "humanity" and evil "humanity." Like karmic points. If you're bad you can't trade in certain cities, you have to go to the bandit trader, with high prices. You can gain or lose these humanity points in various ways. If you just straight start murdering fools you get negative points. If you desecrate their bodies you get negative points. I think if you kill bandits you get positive points and if you bury bodies of other survivors you get positive points. Burying bodies is also sort of a backhanded dick move, because if they respawn and come to find their corpses they will not find them, nor any of their gear (which you now have).

quote:

Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
So, the DayZ for $29.99 on Steam is NOT the one you guys are playing?

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
So, the DayZ for $29.99 on Steam is NOT the one you guys are playing?

No. We are playing the ARMA2/Op Arrowhead mod.

EDIT: ARMA2/Op Arrowhead are now a combined $5 on Steam, that's 80% off. You can't beat that kind of price for open world zombie action, not with no stick I ever seen anyhow.

quote:

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
How long does that sale last? I won't be able to get home to download it til 0200