SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I've observed a recurring theme in soundtracks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've observed a recurring theme in soundtracks Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
Without an exception that I can think of, every time a Rolling Stones song is in a soundtrack I've thought the show or movie was really great.

It isn't that the Stone's music makes the show for me, but it's certainly icing on the cake, and I can't think of any other bands that consistently show up in stuff I like. Kinda weird. Confused

Anyone else noticed things like this?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Yup. I was just thinking of this one earlier.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5479 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Without an exception that I can think of, every time a Rolling Stones song is in a soundtrack I've thought the show or movie was really great.

It isn't that the Stone's music makes the show for me, but it's certainly icing on the cake, and I can't think of any other bands that consistently show up in stuff I like. Kinda weird. Confused

probably because Scorcese is addicted to their songs and he makes great movies.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I'm not so sure...

"19th Nervous Breakdown" in Nine Months (1995) with Hugh Grant.

"Shattered" in the TV film adaptation S.W.A.T. (2003)

"Beast of Burden" in Fred Claus (2007) with Vince Vaughn.

"Wild Horses" in the Farrelly Brothers' Stuck On You (2003)

and of course "Jumpin' Jack Flash" in Whoopi Goldberg's Jumpin' Jack Flash (1986).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LastCubScout,

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

Correlation is definitely not causation, but any film that can afford to shell out for Sir Mick and his backup band is not going to be skimping on the rest of the moviemaking frills - cast, directorial talent, screenwriting, special effects, props, etc. Wink

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gimme Shelter in Goodfellas.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

Used throughout the movie.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Yup. I was just thinking of this one earlier.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0z6fcd--354" width="420"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Strangely whenever I think about the Stones in a soundtrack this is the first show I think of

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Just started binging on Netflix's Ozark. Really liking it so far.
Beginning of episode 4...aaannndd it's happening again. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apprentice,

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
What's the first instance of this that you can remember? For me, it's 'Sympathy for the devil' in a made for TV movie with Peter Strauss called 'The Jericho Mile' (1979). I had to look up the name, but I did remember the rest.

I think I could honestly say if it weren't for the 'Stones song, I would have forgotten that show years ago.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
What's the first instance of this that you can remember? For me, it's 'Sympathy for the devil' in a made for TV movie with Peter Strauss called 'The Jericho Mile' (1979). I had to look up the name, but I did remember the rest.

I think I could honestly say if it weren't for the 'Stones song, I would have forgotten that show years ago.

Believe it or not, I think it was the same song in an episode of "Hunter". If I remember correctly the bad guy was a contract killer, and I thought it was one of the best episodes of that show.

So this goes back a ways for me as well.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's because they just have a shitload of songs? And they like the royalties! Wink

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Something relatively recent, although it is not the stones performing.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Street Fighting Man at the end of V for Vendetta seriously strikes a chord with me.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
GnR's cover of Sympathy at the end of Interview with a Vampire is pretty good.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
It's the Animals" "we gotta get out of this place" that seems t strike the strongest chord with the Viet Nam vets I know. I certainly am not taking anything away from the Stones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVpihgwE18

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post