SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Music from The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Music from The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
"Music from The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel", an Amazon Prime highly acclaimed comedy series, is 42 songs from the 1950's, a really nice mix. Amazon Prime for free (well, kinda). Couldn't get a link to paste, sorry.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
The show is excellent! Great dialog; great sets; great directing; great wardrobe; and, of course, great music. I have the "Mrs. Maisel Soundtrack" channel on heavy rotation on my Spotify.

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3095 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know.

Very enjoyable show, Rachel Brosnahan is very easy on the eyes, her manager Susie Myerson played by Alex Borstein (Lois Griffin from Family Guy) is a crack-up. Tony Shalhoub I don't think I've ever seen a role in which he doesn't own it, really like him as an actor.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I will have to check out the soundtrack. I actually stopped the show to write down a quote (from the first or second episode):
"You want friends who will take a bullet for you, not point to the attic and say 'They are up their"

there are some very interesting period quotes like this peppered throughout the show. The writers definitely understand the context of the time it is set in.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I loved the first season, but I'm having trouble getting into the second season.

In my WASP-ish ignorance, it seems like there's a lot of "neurotic Jew" stereotyping going on. Tony Shaloub's character is a little over the top, but Mrs. Maisel's husband's parents just seem to be caricatures to me. The scene with them in the bank was too much for me and I clicked over onto something else and haven't been back yet.

I'm willing to be educated if I'm looking at this wrong.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Crap. It's not on Amazon music.

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I loved the first season, but I'm having trouble getting into the second season.

In my WASP-ish ignorance, it seems like there's a lot of "neurotic Jew" stereotyping going on. Tony Shaloub's character is a little over the top, but Mrs. Maisel's husband's parents just seem to be caricatures to me. The scene with them in the bank was too much for me and I clicked over onto something else and haven't been back yet.

I'm willing to be educated if I'm looking at this wrong.

You pretty much summed up S2, but I still enjoyed it, I guess because it so much of a departure from most of what's thrown out there these days and although somewhat cartoonish at times, I find the story line compelling.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
I agree that S2 was not quite as strong as S1, but I still thought it was good. I actually enjoyed the Borscht Belt segment. It was, of course, over the top, but the entire series is over the top, which is part of what makes it enjoyable.

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3095 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Crap. It's not on Amazon music.

Here's the playlist on Amazon Music that I referenced in the OP: playlist

Season 1 and 2 are available for play and download on Amazon Music. I had issues with my Amazon Music player app finding Mrs. Maisel on my tablet yesterday but none today.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatGonzo:
I agree that S2 was not quite as strong as S1, but I still thought it was good. I actually enjoyed the Borscht Belt segment. It was, of course, over the top, but the entire series is over the top , which is part of what makes it enjoyable.

Ya think? Let me put it this way: If this series was set in 1958 Harlem AND played to uber stereotypes, the twitter storm would bring Amazon down. If it was set in the white south of my youth I would be up as upset as the GEICO caveman. But I find this show hilarious.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
S1 started reasonably well.

It got increasingly idiotic such that by the end of S3, I’m hoping there is no S4. They took a nice story line and interesting characters and shot them all to hell. What a waste of talent.

The music is good. I especially liked Blossom Dearie bits. She’s so identifiable.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I especially liked Blossom Dearie bits. She’s so identifiable.

Thank you for mentioning her. I looked her up and am listening on Ytube as we speak. I know I heard her before, I didn't know who it was. A great voice.

As a kid, you really latch on to your first exposures. You grew up watching old movies and tv shows. This kind of music, I very rarely heard it but liked it. I always kind of figured that, as an adult, I would would eventually arrive and be 'granted access' to all this stuff. But alas, by the time I got there the world had moved on.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got done with S3...not as neurotic as S2 but, a departure from the charms of S1.

Injecting politics: Midge's Kennedy fawning and Schlafly-bashing, Abe's post-Beatnik/pre-yippie infatuation, then Jason Alexander(Abe's beach bum buddy) got to introduce McCarathism; it all cast a pall over the season for me. I get it, such things were amongst the ziegiest of the time however, it seemed to demonstrate the show runners were doing their part to re-write historical opinions and viewpoints. Alex Borstein's Susie Myerson character really killed it in S3, she should pull-in a few awards. Jane Lynch's character is so over-the-top, it was becoming too hard to believe...any idea if she exaggerated a certain real life person?

S4, if there is one... marching into the 60's so, every societal issue will be woven into the storyline. Kennedy's assassination will probably start the show..

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post