SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    book series i once read...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

book series i once read... Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
Am hoping that one of you can help me.
Years ago I read a fantasy book series and I’m trying to remember the title.
All I can remember about it is that ANY skill if developed enough could become magical.
For example, someone as simple as a baker would be able to produce bread of such incredible wonder that kings would travel just to try it out.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, i cant think of anything. Is there anything more to go on than bread, magical or other wise?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it is the "Practice Effect" by David Brin ?

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squint:
Perhaps it is the "Practice Effect" by David Brin ?

That'd be my guess, too.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'm going to make it unanimous. Practice Effect. Things also devolved if they were not kept in use.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
That doesn't ring a bell with me. Frown

With regards to more to go on.. I can't remember much.
I don't believe there actually was an epic baker in the book - I just used that as an example.

The only characters that I do remember was a swordsman and a whore.
They had both progressed in their professions to hit the magic.

I "think" that when the magic was used for battle... a circle had to be drawn on the ground to contain any magic that might escape and hurt bystanders (ie. if there was a formal duel)

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Could it be the Sunset Warrior series by Eric Van Lustbader (who also wrote The Ninja series)?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Negative to sunset warrior.

I kind of also half remember part of the plot included a long dead emperor that was supposed to return one day with a sleeping army