SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix's "The Titan." Don't Bother
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix's "The Titan." Don't Bother Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I'm not going to go into great plot detail. If you read Frederick Pohl's 1976 novel, "Man Plus," you've got pretty much the gist of this.

Except Pohl's novel won the Nebula award and was nominated for the Hugo and Campbell awards. This ripoff movie couldn't form the pedestal for those awards.

It's pretty much nonsense: the Earth is going to die and mankind's only hope is Titan, one of Saturn's moons. So, rather than try to terraform Titan (incidentally, for the science minded, the premise is that Titan is at the stage of development that Earth is supposed to have been "just before the magic moment that life began." Let's ignore for the moment that hypothesis has been pretty much been junked), let's modify man to fit the environment. And in so doing, remove any humanity from the subject. Good idea, huh?

Yeah, so good guy turned... something, goes rogue and wild chase ensues.

I'm not even going to reveal the ending. You can just thank me for watching it so you don't have to.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I watched it.
Ugh.
You could actually see it in Sam Worthington’s face....
“I was a Terminator....I was in Avatar, dammit! How did THIS happen?”

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Wait, it went direct to video? lol

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Too late. Ugh.

I got stuck at the beginning - the underlying premise was just so weak. And nothing made up for it from there.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the warning. It is was on my 'to watch' list.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Saw it last week. Terrible.

Posts: 2008 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I saw the preview and my first thought was Man Plus! I guess it did not end "Man Plus Us"?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Concur. I watched the whole thing because I was bored out of my mind, but yeah, the plot had holes in it you could fly a 747 through.

One that really stuck in my craw: Earth is dying, LA is uninhabitable, but they've got this island paradise to conduct their research on, with apparently unlimited resources?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We watched it last night. I kept waiting for it to get good, but it never did. As others said, don't bother.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Agree with the assessment of all above.
Kept waiting for the good stuff and it never happened.
Also ...> uugh Frown

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I tried to watch it a few days ago and lasted for about ten minutes before giving up.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But Netflix posted 5 stars. What a waste of time.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You want a great movie?

The Outsider was fantastic.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for saving 90 minutes of my life, almost watched it

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Yeah I finished it in about 3 different sittings. Holy crap if had a feeling a couple of times of maybe getting decent but it never delivered. The premise of the earth is failing/overpopulation etc. is getting a little long in the tooth anyway. Dazzle me with another premise please.

I will say, there was some decent acting....and then some awful acting and direction. Just a mess.

I also have a pretty low bar for free sci fi and this didn’t make the cut.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Wish I would have seen this sooner. I have incredibly low standards for entertainment and I could not make it through this piece of crap. 90 min of my life I will never get back.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
You want a great movie?

The Outsider was fantastic.

Not a sci-fi as discussed here but yes that was a very good movie, I agree.

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post