SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    This Beat is Killing Country Music
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Beat is Killing Country Music Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As mentioned Aaron Watson may be the closest thing to actual country that is out there anymore. Here is a great example of a song with a story.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/W0RthSr3l0Y

Another one I’ll include because you get to hear the back story on it. Not the best audio in this version (you can find better versions) but you get an insight into what this man is all about. Breaks my heart every time I hear this song.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Ro4tuaBW6fQ

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
As mentioned Aaron Watson may be the closest thing to actual country that is out there anymore.

You can't say that without including Chris Stapleton.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Here’s an observation. If you play some form of Alt Country (Texas/Red Dirt) on say...Pandora, it takes roughly four “thumbs down” to get them to quit playing Chris Stapleton every fifth song.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
This guy really nails it.

I was never a huge country fan, but had a lot of Randy Travis, George Strait, and later Kenny Chesney discs.

Then a few years ago every time I’d dial in a country music station, it sounded like an awful pop/rap mash up sung with a Southern accent.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
They label a lot of this shit 'countrypolitan'. As mentioned, it's basically pop music sung with a Southern accent. Heck, if you listen to vintage Byrds, they sound more country than these frauds.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
They label a lot of this shit 'countrypolitan'. As mentioned, it's basically pop music sung with a Southern accent. Heck, if you listen to vintage Byrds, they sound more country than these frauds.

I hear it called Bro Country,

not a fan at all of Country music, was subjected to plenty of it as a kid, and it did not really take,

now, looking back, I realize a lot of it was actually not bad at all, (except Cash, who was awesome)
I'm talking roy clark, buck owens, glen campbell era,

then in the mid 80's when I go married, we bought a few albums, I did like Dwight Yokham (or however you spell his name, but thought he was a better actor),

about that time I was introduced to acoustic jazz, (Dave Grisman) and realized I really like Bluegrass as well,,,,

this modern stuff, probably starting with the Shania Twains etc, is basically easy listening pop, and then when Darius Rucker started with Country, it was just Hootie with a twang, (more pop easy listening,,)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
How kind of many of you to label the drivel as music.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
modern music you hear on the radio is about money and money only.
That is nothing new. The music industry, like any other business, is driven by the desire to make money, and has always been that way.

Here is an example from more than half a century ago, showing the music industry has been driven by the desire to make money for a very long time:
http://www.modestoradiomuseum.org/payola.html

The difference is now how people access music, and other forms of entertainment, has changed drastically. Digital media, the internet, etc, have changed how the industry works, but the money motive is not new at all.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Tractor rap makes me angry.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
The guy in the video is spot on, but for all of pop music, not just country.

Nailed it.

I read an article recently about this. It's all about the dollars, as we all know, and thanks to Big Data and the [modern] relative ease of analyzing it, it can be boiled down to a formula.

Here's a link to one of the articles, and three paragraphs from it:

quote:

The study: In a recent study, researchers from the Medical University of Vienna in Austria studied 15 genres and 374 subgenres. They rated the genre's complexity over time — measured by researchers in purely quantitative aspects, such as timbre and acoustical variations — and compared that to the genre's sales. They found that in nearly every case, as genres increase in popularity, they also become more generic.

"This can be interpreted," the researchers write, "as music becoming increasingly formulaic in terms of instrumentation under increasing sales numbers due to a tendency to popularize music styles with low variety and musicians with similar skills."

So music all starts simplifying and sounding similar. Not only that, but complexity actually starts turning people off of musical styles. Alternative rock, experimental and hip-hop music are all more complex now than when they began, and each has seen their sales plummet. Startlingly few genres have retained high levels of musical complexity over their histories, according to the researchers. And ones that have — folk, folk rock and experimental music — aren't exactly big earners. Unless, of course, they fit into the Mumford & Sons/Lumineers pop-folk mold.

Here's another article, with an 11-minute video on "How Pop Music Has Become A Science."

And for kicks, another video called "The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful," describing the "Millenial Whoop." Dr. Luke and Max Martin, anyone? It's 20 minutes, but it's interesting.

Granted, none of those were aimed at the OP's topic -- country music -- but the psychology of it is similar.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll submit this as commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6LC_zYnaxk

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
I'll submit this as commentary.

Ohh-kaay. I got through almost a minute of that

posted Hide Post
Though not a big country music fan, every once in awhile I have to play some Waylon just to remind myself of country music when it was its own genre.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
Though not a big country music fan, every once in awhile I have to play some Waylon just to remind myself of country music when it was its own genre.

The legendary Ralph Mooney on pedal steel. One thing that I hope you take from this thread is that there IS Country out there. It’s got great stories, and outstanding musicianship with fiddles, Telecasters and pedal steels. Sample a few of the posts in this thread or the artists mentioned. “Outlaw” Country in the same vein as Waylon? It’s there, Cody Jinks has been mentioned a couple of times. Try Cody Canada and the Departed for Outlaw with a rock edge—he’s a way underrated guitar player. Good luck, man. Hope you look around a little. As Grady Smith said in that first video, “Country music is cool.”

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like country music from most time periods. I view it as constantly evolving and always will be. Given enough time and perspective you can find trends in most periods of what was commercially successful at that time. Even George Strait experimented along the way. In the alternative, you find some successful artists with a classic sound even when more pop sounding songs are dominating.

Music Row is exactly what it always has been. A money making machine. If it sells, it gets developed, promoted and sold. In the mean time they have guys out trying to find the next big thing or different sound.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Waylon, Willie, (and the boys?), Cash, Bocephus, Charlie Daniels, Billy Joe Shaver, etc, is almost all the country I need. I don't mind Tractor Rap, but it's not Country (or Western).

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
TMats, I'm going to see Cody Canada again in February. He puts on a great show. Also going to see Whiskey Myers again in July, more southern rock than country but still a good show.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
TMats, I'm going to see Cody Canada again in February. He puts on a great show. Also going to see Whiskey Myers again in July, more southern rock than country but still a good show.

Hope it works out for us to see both of those shows this year. My wife just said yesterday that she would travel to see Cody again. I like what Whiskey Myers is doing too.

I’ve been trying to exert my minimal influence on the Entertainment Committee for Cheyenne Frontier Days to do a Texas/Red Dirt Frontier Nights event. So far—no joy, but I’m not giving up.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:

Nice. Now I'm off to watch the Dukes of Hazard. Cool

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post