SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tell me about Nintendo Switch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Nintendo Switch Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
my son wants one of these. I think they are not worth the money. Anyone have one? Thoughts?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The only good thing about it seems to be the Zelda game. I haven't heard anything positive about it other than that.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nintendo has always been more geared toward kids. Yes, adults can have fun, but pre-teens seem to be the target.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
He's 10 and likes Mario and Pokemn. I just never cared for Nintendo and this thing is $360 and then they nickle and dime you for everything else

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
If he has a Wii or WiiU, his old games are worthless for the Switch, as the Switch went back to cartridges for games. Meaning upgrades to the switch arent backward compatible with other games, and re-buying all your old games is a necessity. Except they arent making many old games for the switch. But all new games are only being made for switch so if you have a wiiu and want to play any new games, you have to upgrade.

Theyhad some early issues with pixels dying, left controller sticks dying, and the seem reallly overpriced for what they are. But the nintendo rep i talked to at worka week ago said the switch is already more popular than the WiiU was, and like Orgus said. The new zelda is apparently pretty cool?

Edit-to-add. The Splatoon version is $379. But the normal (grey console) version is $299 at walmart. It can get more expensive online as Nintendo is notorious for having no supply for their demand.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
My kids are 9(boy), 8(girl), 6.5(boy), and 3(boy).

We play it all the time.

Zelda - it’s AMAZING. It’s an incredible story that we play together. Sure they watch me play, for the most part, but they chose the adventure and choose what we work on or where we go, and until you actually play Breath Of The Wild, you really have no concept as to how enormous the game really is. Each kid even got to pick and help tame their own horse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Hilarious and so so so fun. Granted my 3yo doesn’t play, but everyone else does. Not as good as old school Mario Kart but the kids love it and the options are many.

Mario Odyssey - Coming out soon I guess? My 9yo LOVED Mario Galaxy so I’m sure we’ll try it together.

He’s pretty excited for any Pokémon games that come out in the future, but I’ll probably make him help pay for them.

Great system. We’ve played enough to more than justify the system (imo) with Zelda alone.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
Vaalic, send me an email if you are interested. I have one I would be interested in selling. It would come with Zelda and Bomberman.

smphillips87@gmail.com

Posts: 3364 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My son has one. He doesn't play it much. It's a cool idea but it's just not implemented well. It's not fun to use. It's awkward to hold. The best game is probably Lego City.

I'm not a huge fan of it.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Bringing this thread back to life.

So I bought one during this past summer and have yet to find a game that justifies the expenditure. It's the same problem I have with most Nintendo platforms; focus-centric on little kids, or what remains of the little kid in us adults. Zelda was initially interesting and somewhat enjoyable but soon became rather monotonous. I tried Mario Cart at a gaming shop...no. I bought Mario Odyssey recently just 'cause I only had Zelda, when Costco brought it into their b&m inventory. It's sorta fun in a nostalgic with a twist kind of way...at least so far.

But I keep longing for the adult-oriented titles to show up. The one at the moment I keep looking at is Skyrim, something that I've played previously. The few reviewers who have played it on other gaming platforms and then have done the same on the Switch seem to rave about the gaming experience on the Nintendo. I've already bought the game three times before (Xbox 360 standard and then Legendary, and for Xbox One when I bought one of the S version consoles); is it REALLY worth it to try it on the Switch?

Problem is, there's not much else that interests me for this portable device. My favorite publishers Rockstar (L.A. Noire) and Bethesda (Skyrim and Doom) doesn't do much else for this platform except rehash old titles. It would be neat if one of the battle/war franchises made it to the Switch, but so far nada. I read someplace that Japanese titles more geared to older teens/young adult are supposed to appear, but games that appeal to the acne crowd...I'm not feeling it.

The Switch so far has been a neat device that's missing one BIG element: great games for us of the older persuasion. I've got a gift card for Best Buy as a Christmas present; perhaps I'll waste some of it on yet another version of Skyrim if no one else manages to bring any other older-market games out. The Switch has been available for over a year and yet the game landscape is STILL so barren.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Hilarious and so so so fun. Granted my 3yo doesn’t play, but everyone else does. Not as good as old school Mario Kart but the kids love it and the options are many.

Mario Odyssey - Coming out soon I guess? My 9yo LOVED Mario Galaxy so I’m sure we’ll try it together.

Got one for my 17 yr old for Christmas. Both these games are fun. He bought a boxing game called Arms. It's been fun so far.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am seriously thinking of purchasing a Switch. I know that there are not that many games yet as this is only the first year it has been out. However with Nintendo by the 3rd year or so there will be hundreds of titles out. Maybe I will buy one tomorrow NEW YEARS !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:
I am seriously thinking of purchasing a Switch. I know that there are not that many games yet as this is only the first year it has been out. However with Nintendo by the 3rd year or so there will be hundreds of titles out. Maybe I will buy one tomorrow NEW YEARS !!! God Bless Smile

So why not wait until that third year, when the Switch will probably be a third the cost of what it is now and you have that greater selection of games from which to choose? You buy it now, have nothing to play, you'll probably regret buying it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:

So why not wait until that third year, when the Switch will probably be a third the cost of what it is now and you have that greater selection of games from which to choose? You buy it now, have nothing to play, you'll probably regret buying it.

I'm in the same boat. But I'd probably log some serious hours on Mario and Zelda. I'd probably get something easy I can play in short intervals, too. I can't stand phone games.

I also haven't bought a console since Xbox 360. So maybe I'm more at Nintendo speed when it comes to console gaming.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I was working at the Sony Metreon the night the PSP was first being sold. Looking back I'm glad I resisted the temptation to get one, because third party support just never materialized like projections stated. Same thing with the Wii U...it's like nobody wants to make anything interesting to serious gamers. So I'm just leery of getting a Switch.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I was working at the Sony Metreon the night the PSP was first being sold. Looking back I'm glad I resisted the temptation to get one, because third party support just never materialized like projections stated. Same thing with the Wii U...it's like nobody wants to make anything interesting to serious gamers. So I'm just leery of getting a Switch.

It's because when you want to play a serious game, you turn off the console and turn on your PC. Wink

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

Zelda - it’s AMAZING. It’s an incredible story that we play together. Sure they watch me play, for the most part, but they chose the adventure and choose what we work on or where we go, and until you actually play Breath Of The Wild, you really have no concept as to how enormous the game really is. Each kid even got to pick and help tame their own horse.

Guilty of this myself. Playing Zelda while it is raining or dark outside. Seems to happen a lot lately.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post