SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    “Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” is now RACIST!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” is now RACIST! Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted
It’s only been shown continuously since 1973, and those who are always offended by something are just now complaining about it? Gimme a break!

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows...cist-franklin-scene/

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of nit-picking retards.

How about this: the show is NOT racist, because they treat Franklin Eek JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE. So he gets a lawn chair. Big whoop. Maybe he LIKES the soft chair vs a hard one. Maybe he sat on that side of hte table because he likes the room, or he's seated there because the animators really didn't give a flying crap WHAT race he was?

Ever think of that, you stupid race-baiting snowflakes?

Of course not.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they made him sit at a different table and called him "Boy," now THAT would be racist.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I think given the era that cartoon was made, that it is incredibly not racist. I do wonder what the motivation was to place him alone. Not in a judgmental way, but in a curious way. I suspect that it would have been messier to have the closer characters fragmented. Or I wonder if he was trying to draw attention to Franklin being there at all, at the same table.

Like: "Look! He is here, invited to be with is at the same table, and it is good."

Posts: 11354 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It's an odd choice, maybe an afterthought?
Still, it's hard not to see this in today's world and think it's not a good look.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
#IsitwithFranklin

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I dunno 'bout all that. It IS my least favorite of the Charlie Brown specials though.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised they don't protest Woodstock being a cannibal for eating turkey.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
towards the end of his life he described himself as a secular humanist. that was the begining hos him being described as a communist IIRC. The truth of that i don't know. I saw a new article from npr i think a few years back that talked about it. I can not find it.

in looking i did find the imputus behind franklin's character. as in most of these things 2 minutes of searching would have cleared up any of this racism bullshit.

http://www.marketwired.com/pre...-peanuts-1904518.htm
quote:
INTRODUCTION OF FRANKLIN

Peanuts © 1993 Peanuts Worldwide LLC.

Peanuts © 1968 Peanuts Worldwide LLC

The summer of 1968 marked the introduction of Franklin into the Peanuts comic strip. At the time, black characters in newspaper comics mainly appeared in supporting and often subservient roles, as typified by Tarzan and The Phantom. Morrie Turner's nationally syndicated Wee Pals featured a racially diverse cast of social equals, but only realized wider success in the weeks and months following Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s untimely passing. While most letters to Schulz and his syndicate expressed support and appreciation for this new character, several newspapers chose not to run the series. Despite these early protests, Franklin became a regular personality in Peanuts comics and animated specials.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Good grief!

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Could it also be said that Franklin is the only one at the table with manners as the others have no silverware in which to eat with? (Snoopy gets a pass on the silverware) Woodstock isn't even there, so he was preheated to 375.

Did anyone invite Schroder to the table? Those Germans again? Was he supposed to sit to the right of Franklin? Table for seven with six seated. Snoopy wasn't selling insurance? Who cares??? It is a cartoon...

Franklin was first added into the show by Schultz when a teacher wrote to him and asked for a black child to be included into his cartoon.
Harriet Glickman assured Schultz that something as small as him writing a child of color into his work as the friend of a white child could make a radical impact.
Although Schultz worried that people would consider the new addition as tokenism, Glickman had a solution for this as well.
She asked her friends to write to Schultz and persuade him that the accusation of being patronizing is a small price to pay for the difference he could make.
Years after Franklin was first added into his comic strip, Schultz said that his editor was against the idea, however he told him, 'Well, Larry, let's put it this way: Either you print it just the way I draw it or I quit. How's that?' So that's the way that ended.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, for one, shall be burning down local businesses and looting them until such time as this great injustice is set aright!

Roll Eyes

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Looks like the most comfortable chair to me!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Surprised they didn’t complain that Peppermint Patty was sitting in a metal folding chair.

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Franklin also has two bowls of popcorn right there, and two puddings. And a spoon. Not bad.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I watched the show the other night and noticed that Franklin got the 'bad' chair and thought "why did the black kid have to sit in it?"

And now that I look at the picture above I also realize they put him over on the side away from everybody else......

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
And now that I look at the picture above I also realize they put him over on the side away from everybody else......

They were treating Franklin well, giving him all the elbow room he could want! Razz

Or maybe they put him on that side alone so everyone else could see him and pay attention to what he was saying, without having to look over/around someone else?

It's all about perspective.... Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Surprised they didn’t complain that Peppermint Patty was sitting in a metal folding chair.

Especially since she plays for the other team.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I count four sides to that table, and three of those four sides are seating single individuals. 2/3rds of those seated by themselves appear to be white

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
those who are always offended by something

Good grief is right.

I, for one, count myself as a very lucky man since I never seem to have had to talk to or deal with people quite this stupid.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post