SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pulp Fiction -- What's in the case?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulp Fiction -- What's in the case? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
I'd never seen this, but boy, does it seem plausible to me now.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
we good?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
It was later found in the trunk of a car in Repo Man.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
His hypothasis is as old as the movie itself, I was hoping it would be some new idea.

Though it too would be pointless, the real answer is obvious... circus peanuts.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"What's in the case?"

Popeyes chicken sandwich

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's in the case?

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't need to watch the video. It doesn't matter what's in the case. This is a plot device known as a 'macguffin'. A macguffin is used to advance the story. It's a 'whatsit' that becomes the focus of pursuit. It matters not in the least what is the actual thing being pursued. It does not matter.

You guys are familiar with the film Ronin, yes? What was in the case in Ronin? We never find out and it does not matter. All that matters is the case becomes the thing around which the plot is centered.

For Pulp Fiction, the glow coming from the briefcase alludes to the case in Kiss Me Deadly. In that movie, we have a hint of what is in the case- radioactive material, which is why there is a glow emitting from the case when it's opened. Tarantino was referencing Kiss Me Deadly. All this horse shit about it being Marcellus Wallace's soul? Roll Eyes

It's simply a plot device. What's in the case does not matter.

This question drives me freaking crazy. When Ronin came out and members were asking the same question, I explained this plot device. I might as well have been talking to a brick wall. In the very same thread, members kept guessing what was in the case.

Now, is this what the guy says in his video? If not- no matter what he supposes- he is wrong.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
It's a Zero-Point Module.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Le Big Mac!

Posts: 717 | Location: Keystone State  | Registered: November 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I think the case in Ronin has the case from Pulp Fiction in it...

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
"What's in the case?"

Is it heavy, is it explosive, is it chained to some unlucky bloke's wrist? Are we gonna have to chop it off?

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
"What's in the case?"

Is it heavy, is it explosive, is it chained to some unlucky bloke's wrist? Are we gonna have to chop it off?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Now, is this what the guy says in his video? If not- no matter what he supposes- he is wrong.

Yeah. Actually he touched on yellow cake as a common theory, but the point of the video remained the soul angle. There were lots of bits that make it plausible. Definitely not an important matter to the movie, but it was fun to glue together a theory around it.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
It was later found in the trunk of a car in Repo Man.

Whatever was in the trunk in Repo man had a bit more English on it.....

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
25 watt lightbulb and some gold foil. Big Grin

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
It was the exact spot where Poindexter divided by 0. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
25 watt lightbulb and some gold foil. Big Grin
That's probably correct.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

or

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post