SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance”; question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance”; question Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted
I’ve seen this famous movie many times and I’ve always watched the Lee Marvin (“Liberty Valance”) death-scene closely, but I can’t determine if: it was the same street scene shot from two separate angles at the same time; or if they re-created the scene twice, once to film it from the street, and once from alley angle. It looks like it might be the former, but I can’t be sure. Can anyone answer this?

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
I’ve seen this famous movie many times and I’ve always watched the Lee Marvin (“Liberty Valance”) death-scene closely, but I can’t determine if: it was the same street scene shot from two separate angles at the same time; or if they re-created the scene twice, once to film it from the street, and once from alley angle. It looks like it might be the former, but I can’t be sure. Can anyone answer this?

I also have contemplated that same question. The next time I watch it I will pay closer attention to the timing of the shots and actor movements in each scene for comparison.

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Filmed twice, different lighting, different reaction from Liberty when he is shot.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Agreed, filmed twice. Looking closely, the biggest give-away is the location of Valance’s hat in each scene.

In the head-on street scene, his hat lands in the street, upside down. In the side-alley scene, his hat lands right-side up on the wooden boardwalk.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The real question is why the good guy is named 'Ransom' and the bad guy is named 'Liberty'.

Ever think about that?

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In several of his movies, Lee Marvin had a tendency to turn his sixgun sideways, while pointing it. I wonder if that's where today's gangstas got that ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Certainly not.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the multiple-camera technique more of a Kurosawa thing, and Ford tried to avoid it? Even though filming with more than one camera on the same action (often with the second camera in the long shot, but hidden behind scenery or props) made the the visual impression much more realistic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The real question is why the good guy is named 'Ransom' and the bad guy is named 'Liberty'.

Ever think about that?

Yes. It has crossed my mind before, but I never thought deeply about it, or came up with an answer. Have you?

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post