Find
Notify
Tools

Witcher 3 Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I am late to the party, but I started playing Witcher 3.

The game play mechanics aren't a slick as some others - the latest Zelda game, or Bethesda's games. (Not bad, mind you, but not quite as good.) But the story is very well done, and I think superior to most of the other similar games. Some of the NPCs are exceptionally good.

Does anyone have any tips or things not to miss?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Fantastic game. One of my favorites.

Read your Bestiary. There are certain combinations of spells/potions/oils that are more effective against certain beasts. Using the right trick can turn a tough fight into an easy one.

You'll want to specialize in one style with your level up bonuses: sword/spells/alchemy. You can dabble a little bit on the occasional extra, but focus primarily on whichever one you like best. If you try to spread yourself out and be middling at everything, you'll be weaker and it will make the game tougher.

If you want to complete all the Gwent-related quests, you really have to be a Gwent whore. Buy every Gwent card you come across. Play cards every chance you get. Talk to every NPC, to see if you can play Gwent with them. Play against each NPC until you stop winning cards from that person, and just start winning random components or items, which signifies that there are no more cards that you can win from them. Then move on to the next player. You'll not only need that practice for the harder, later Gwent opponents, but playing and winning cards is the only way to get some of the higher-powered cards necessary to win against the tougher opponents.

Pick one primary love interest to romance. You can try to romance both, but it won't end well... (Much like real life.)

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oh, and explore everything, but don't be afraid to run away from hard fights. The monsters will be color-coded according to their challenge level. Any monster with a red skull next to the name will be basically impossible for someone of your level to defeat, so leave it alone and come back for it later.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Just another +1

Loved that game

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
One of the best games I've played in years. The last DLC pack that came out for it is also excellent and large enough that it could have stood on its own as a separate release. Once you get the rhythm of combat down, the controls are actually pretty nice.

I've been toying with another playthrough...

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Once you get the rhythm of combat down, the controls are actually pretty nice.

Yeah. You could "brute force/button mash" your way through the game if you really want to, but you'll miss out on one of the best 3rd person melee combat systems ever.

It's much better to learn how to properly time buttons to block/dodge/parry/counter. You'll get hit less and it will look and feel a whole lot cooler.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Yeah. You could "brute force/button mash" your way through the game if you really want to, but you'll miss out on one of the best 3rd person melee combat systems ever.

It's much better to learn how to properly time buttons to block/dodge/parry/counter. You'll get hit less and it will look and feel a whole lot cooler.

I am getting better at this. I realized you do actually need to block and dodge in this game. Especially since I favor light armor for better speed. I have learned that I can't just go toe to toe with an opponent close to my level. But I am still not very good at it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Great game, one of my favorites. The DLC was very good as well.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Not the best action game play, the whole trilogy, but easily one of the best franchises I've ever played.

Was fun watching the games progress from 1 to 2 to 3. By the time they made 3 there was so much funding that they could put forth a product to rival bethesda.

My tip is to play the heck out of it, then put it down for a year and play it all over again.

There is so much stuff going on that it will be like playing a new game all over again.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite game, have played through it 3 times and both DLCs are whole games in their own right.

The key is to play it slow, explore, do all the side missions and just enjoy the scenery. The story telling is one of the best.

The real question is Triss or Yen...hahaha

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Triss hands down.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post