SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Man in the High Castle.

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Man in the High Castle. Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
So far, extremely interesting.

Not even so much the show, but the basic premise.

So many musings... so hard to type on a tablet. Just saving this space for later.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 31285 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I just finished season two. Excellent.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 14060 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
I like what i've seen so far but wtf is going on? Is there time travel? You can meditate and time travel?

Posts: 613 | Location: Kailua, HI | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VERY different from the book but a good show with a lot of surprises.

But would the Japanese soldiers still be using bolt action rifles in 1962 (except for the Crown Princes guards) ?

SIGmond the Sea Monster
(apologies to Sid and Marty Krofft)

Posts: 2283 | Location: Washington (The state, not D.C.) | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I'll be the dissenter here. Concept is interesting for sure, but season 2 has lost me. They really failed to get anywhere with the story line in season 2, and have failed utterly at explaining what is going on. I left season 1 intrigued by their overall premise but wanting some development. Expecting that in season 2, I got more confusion.

Posts: 1717 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underworld2086:
I like what i've seen so far but wtf is going on? Is there time travel? You can meditate and time travel?

More like travel between realities/alternate universes. Like SIGmond said, it's handled very differently than in the book.

I like it a lot, though I think Smith's 'betrayal' of his Aryan principles is a bit out-of-character.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 14324 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If it chambers, fire it
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Just past halfway on season 1 and really like it. Very creepy premise.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4605 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
Fair premise for a show but it seems to have traveled down the path "Lost" did meandering to a viewpoint. Won't say more to not ruin anything. But, the acting and production is good and the show is head and shoulders above most. There are good turns in it that are not predictable so you have to give it to the show/writers for creativity. Good show. If there is a season three, and thethings we see in the last episode are used, it will be interesting to see the direction.

I'd like to discus a little more when there is no chance of spoilers.

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 3867 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGmondtheseamonster:

But would the Japanese soldiers still be using bolt action rifles in 1962 (except for the Crown Princes guards) ?

If you recall in the book, the Empire of Japan was portrayed as a bit inferior technologically and not as advanced as the German Reich, so yes I could see this.

Posts: 20846 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Season 2 was pretty slow and only mildly interesting to me until several shows in. I think it was episode 6, giver or take, where it started getting really good. It was like they suddenly flipped a switch. I just finished 10 (season finale) and it was fantastic.

Posts: 8343 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I'll be the dissenter here. Concept is interesting for sure, but season 2 has lost me. They really failed to get anywhere with the story line in season 2, and have failed utterly at explaining what is going on. I left season 1 intrigued by their overall premise but wanting some development. Expecting that in season 2, I got more confusion.

I'm definitely with you there. Season 1, I picked up on the premise and enjoyed it. I could follow the story threads. I was happy that Amazon alerted me that season 2 was now available.

I watched the first 3 episodes twice and I still can't understand where they are now. I have now idea what the story is.

I mean, it's nice that there's a story line on the something something German that's being played by an actor I like - where he kills the doctor instead of his less-than-perfect son but still, I'm not seeing any over-arching story.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 12079 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I can see Smith's character as being the one that helps take down the Reich, especially given what happened at the end of Season 2.

I'd like to see some sort of red dawn scenario but I'm not sure if that's how they'll go with it.

Posts: 4926 | Location: Metro West, MA | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:

I'm definitely with you there. Season 1, I picked up on the premise and enjoyed it. I could follow the story threads. I was happy that Amazon alerted me that season 2 was now available.

I watched the first 3 episodes twice and I still can't understand where they are now. I have now idea what the story is.

I mean, it's nice that there's a story line on the something something German that's being played by an actor I like - where he kills the doctor instead of his less-than-perfect son but still, I'm not seeing any over-arching story.

It gets better. Still a few meandering episodes to go, but things start to come into focus and pick up speed nicely. The season finale both exciting and rewarding to me.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

It gets better. Still a few meandering episodes to go, but things start to come into focus and pick up speed nicely. The season finale both exciting and rewarding to me.

Should I just go on without, at least, a sense of the season's story then? Stop trying to understand the episodes? Do things make sense in the end?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 12079 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Season 3 has been confirmed.

Posts: 4926 | Location: Metro West, MA | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

Should I just go on without, at least, a sense of the season's story then? Stop trying to understand the episodes? Do things make sense in the end?

For me they made enough sense by the finale. You can see why at least a couple of the storylines that might have not seemed that great were necessary.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I must Just be too dumb to understand. I watched the whole thing. I won't be watching season 3.

Posts: 1717 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post