SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Any anime fans on the site?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any anime fans on the site? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:

I liked 'Black Lagoon' and 'Cat Shit 1.'

I LOVED Cat Shit 1. I wish there were more episodes of it. I gather it is based off a manga.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites:

I would have to confess to watching Macross Plus, Escaflowne, Robotech and others and looking for a deal on the transforming figures.

I traded into a cel of Vampire Hunter D later...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
One of my favorites:

I would have to confess to watching Macross Plus, Escaflowne, Robotech and others and looking for a deal on the transforming figures.

I traded into a cel of Vampire Hunter D later...

Always a classic.

My all time favorite was Martian Successor Nadesico. Most have never seen it unfortunately!

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
for reasons that I have stopped defending, I USED to hate anime. When I was a pretentious PhD candidate and managed one of our tech labs the computer science undergrads would get a verbal lecture on why it was all crap.

then one night after a long evening of working on a project we were just all hanging out eating cheap pizza left over from a faculty mixer, and they were once again trying to get me to watch anime (holy hell these kids didn't know when to stop) and one of them stated I had judged anime having never watched it. I was queuing up a pithy comment when I realized I may have watched a series.

"It was in the 70's and every morning I would wake up early and sit in the middle of the living room floor with a bowl of cereal and watch this amazing story (crap animation though) about this crew driving a WWII era submarine, converted into a space ship looking craft and flaying across space to save the planet. It was in Japanese and had voice overs and . .. "

"OMG OMG OMG OMG you watched StarBlazers during its first american broadcast!!!!!" They wouldn't shut up about it.

"What was it like?" (It was years before a tv or comic serial caught my attention, GI Joe.)

"Want a copy of my DVD set" (nah, Ill just get one on on eBay, holy hell that's expensive!!)

"do you remember who the voice actors were?" "can you tell us what you thought of the first movie?" "did you see it before you saw the series"

So these kids had figured out how to crack me open, more importantly they learned that it was not animation to me but the story that was important. The next thing you know they had created a list of things for me to watch and for the most part they are correct.

I liked anime. weird.

Sometimes when I am watching a really good story play out, I feel like that kid sitting in the middle of the living room floor eating a bowl of cereal. Full of wonder.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It necessarily anime in general but I also grew up watching Star Blazers and Robotech. I have all 3 seasons of Star Blazers (there was a third, The Bolar Wars) and all 3 seasons of Robotech plus the one standalone dvd that’s loosely based on the Sentinels.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
for reasons that I have stopped defending, I USED to hate anime. When I was a pretentious PhD candidate and managed one of our tech labs the computer science undergrads would get a verbal lecture on why it was all crap.

then one night after a long evening of working on a project we were just all hanging out eating cheap pizza left over from a faculty mixer, and they were once again trying to get me to watch anime (holy hell these kids didn't know when to stop) and one of them stated I had judged anime having never watched it. I was queuing up a pithy comment when I realized I may have watched a series.

"It was in the 70's and every morning I would wake up early and sit in the middle of the living room floor with a bowl of cereal and watch this amazing story (crap animation though) about this crew driving a WWII era submarine, converted into a space ship looking craft and flaying across space to save the planet. It was in Japanese and had voice overs and . .. "

"OMG OMG OMG OMG you watched StarBlazers during its first american broadcast!!!!!" They wouldn't shut up about it.

"What was it like?" (It was years before a tv or comic serial caught my attention, GI Joe.)

"Want a copy of my DVD set" (nah, Ill just get one on on eBay, holy hell that's expensive!!)

"do you remember who the voice actors were?" "can you tell us what you thought of the first movie?" "did you see it before you saw the series"

So these kids had figured out how to crack me open, more importantly they learned that it was not animation to me but the story that was important. The next thing you know they had created a list of things for me to watch and for the most part they are correct.

I liked anime. weird.

Sometimes when I am watching a really good story play out, I feel like that kid sitting in the middle of the living room floor eating a bowl of cereal. Full of wonder.

watched Starblazers (not a sub IIRC, but the Battleship Yamato resurrected, )

also watched Voltron(cats, not vehicles)

both were played in the afternoon, just about the time I would get home from work,

Netflix has the new Voltron series going,,

not as good as the old

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I like anime. Miyazaki's cool, but I prefer his more intimate stories as opposed to his epic battles of good vs. evil. I'm a big fan of his last film, The Wind Rises. I like aviation-themed stories, and I loved that it pissed many people off because it was a fantastical biopic about the creator of the Mitsubishi Zero fighter plane.

I also like car-themed anime, like Initial D, Ex-Driver, Wangan Midnight, and Riding Bean/Gunsmith Cats. Redline was a futuristic race movie that was my favorite movie of that year.

And I also loved Macross and Star Blazers. The new redone Star Blazers series currently showing looks off-da-hook crazy! I wish I had easier access to it! This is what I want to see in movies and TV shows instead of that superhero stuff.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Also a Miyazaki fan, particularly as a lifelong aviation enthusiast. Though I have to say I found "The Wind Rises" typically Japanese in skipping over the entire war in which the Zero was eventually used. Just a cut and whoops, here we are in a totally destroyed country. Well, nothing to do with me. Oh look, beautiful airplanes.

Probably rather obscure in the US, the staple of my childhood was "Captain Future", based upon the SF pulp stories by Edmond Hamilton. It was huge in Europe, particularly in Germany, where it was shown in rather mutilated form with violent scenes cut and out of sequence, but with an all-new electronic soundtrack that assumed cult status. There was even an indigenuous comic book series. German director Christian Alvart ("Pandorum", "Dogs of Berlin") has long worked on a live action movie, and I hope he gets it done (and doesn't mess it up). A concept art clip was leaked in 2015.

Well, and then there was "Heidi".

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:

My all time favorite was Martian Successor Nadesico.

Idiots! The first word I think of with Nadesico is Idiots. I think she said it about five times a show.

Another good one is Blue Seed 9.

They did make a Voltron movie where they fought side by side. Lions and vehicles anyway, I don't think the gladiators made an appearance.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
StarBlazers was definitely the Yamato, not a submarine.

Good series.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Blue Submarine No. 6 feature subs.

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Pretty much a "must watch" for the space and aviation fans. I've heard that they changed the music on the BlueRay release, though, which would be a shame.
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Escaflowne is up there, too

Was that a Yoko Kano scored bit? The OVA was better than the movie, IMO. Great series, but seems a tiny bit dated now because it was released in 4x3 like Bebop. I'll take anything where Yoko Kano did the score though, like Bebop and Macross Plus, etc.

quote:
Starblazers

If you liked Starblazers/Yamato, you should check out Yamato 2199. It hits all the beats of the original with updated animation, CG, and a tiny bit of fan service.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Went through a little phase in High School and College.
Akira
Ninja Scroll
Afterwar Gundam X
Gunslinger Girls

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Inspired by this thread, I picked up Starblazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199. It's pretty good! I also approve of their totally sexist uniform regulations.

Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
I don't watch a lot but what I like I really like, and I like Black Lagoon.

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I've seen more series than movies:

R.O.D. The TV
Gungrave
Hellsing
Cowboy Bebop

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I tend to prefer manga and anime that is more "real world" based, and less fantasy/superhero/horror/slapstick high school shenanigans based.

I am reminded that I forgot to mention one of my favorite animes based on Kaoru Shintani's early-'80s manga series Area 88 about mercenary fighter pilots in North Africa. There was a straight-to-video anime series in the mid-'80s and a reworked reboot TV series in 2004. As a fan of military aviation, I enjoyed them both.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
LOL How does Shin fly with one eye covered with hair??

Watching Ep. 1 on YouTube......neat so far! Logistics at that place must be a nightmare. F-14s,-4s, -8s, Saab J35s, Mirage F1s, A-4s...and that's in the first 7 minutes.

I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I used to be a lot more into it, Akira and Crying Freeman and the like.

My daughter loves the new stuff like My Hero Academia and older stuff like Sailor Moon. I bought her Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke trying to broaden her horizons.

I’ve tried to watch Attack on Titan but those things creep me out. Big Grin

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post