SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Any anime fans on the site?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any anime fans on the site? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I am not, but one of my boys are; tonight we are going to see something called Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. It is the film's 35th Anniversary and AMC is showing it in one of their theatres.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Awesome! I know where I'm going tonight!
Assuming I can find an AMC that's showing it in my area!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
You're not going to like where those tentacles go. Eek

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
You're not going to like where those tentacles go. Eek

LOL

That's the 'little' that I've heard about anime and its relationship to tentacles!

My kid is only 16 years old, I see tentacles and we're going to get some popcorn!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Not an anime fan per-say, but some of my favorite shows as a kid were Robotech and Voltron.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm not overly familiar with the genre but I really dug the Japanese anime movies from the 80's. Some had a fever dream soaked in lsd feel to them but for whatever reason it worked and were highly entertaining.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Nausicaa is one of those films I haven't seen because I thought it was weird. But it's supposed to be well-regarded. Hope you like it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Not an anime fan per-say, but some of my favorite shows as a kid were Robotech and Voltron.

Obviously from your avatar. Wink

Nausicaa is good. The thing about anime is you have to go in with sort of an open mind and don’t judge early. The stories can be confusing at first, but they eventually sort out. If you like it, check out Miyazaki’s later Studio Ghibli work.

I can’t watch Robotech anymore... it doesn’t hold. Cowboy Beebop is my current top.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
I can’t watch Robotech anymore... it doesn’t hold. Cowboy Beebop is my current top.

Tenchi Muyo! will always be my favorite series, but Escaflowne is up there, too.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Nausicaa is one of those films I haven't seen because I thought it was weird. But it's supposed to be well-regarded. Hope you like it.

It was weird. But...my 16 year old anime fan said:

= I liked it because it had a cool story.

- I liked that they moved around a lot (settings)

- I liked the classic voice work

- I liked the softer drawing of the 80's

- He recognized Studio ghibhi and told me it was responsible for putting out some of the best anime films.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
My kids both grew up on Hayao Miyazaki films, they are great and for my daughter many have a strong independent girl featured. Porco Rosso, Nausica, Spirited Away, Howls moving castle, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and Totoro. Good positive stories but from a Shinto/Eastern viewpoint and mythology which can seem odd.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
It's too bad Laputa isn't being shown.

Be sure to attend the showing with subtitles. The dubs in English are far inferior to the original Japanese voice cast.

A word of caution. Don't bring young kids to Princess Mononoke. Lots of blood and violence, atypical of Miyazake's body of works.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've only watched a couple (Death Note and Attack on Titan) but they were quite enjoyable. I don't know enough to make and comparisons or suggestions.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
[QUOTE]Cowboy Beebop is my current top.

Another Cowboy Bebop fan, here.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like anime, but I'm not as hardcore into it as some. I haven't seen Nausicaa, and the only Miyazaki anime I've seen was Howl's Moving Castle, which I did enjoy.

If I had to pick, my favorite would probably be Darker Than Black, with Death Note probably being second. I'd also add Psycho Pass as one I really liked.

Haven't seen Cowboy Bebop yet, but it's on my list of anime I want to watch.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I do, but mainly only the cyberpunk/mecha stuff.

Psycho Pass
Black Lagoon
Gunslinger Girls
Knights of Sydonia
Ghost in the Shell
Cowboy Bebop
Aldnoah Zero
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Expelled from Paradise
Gantz:0
Death Note

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
I like some of the stuff, mostly mecha or giant robots.

Gundam
Grendizer
Mazinger Z
Go-Lion
Macross

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Black Lagoon

I liked 'Black Lagoon' and 'Cat Shit 1.'

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

Black Lagoon
Ghost in the Shell

I've seen a few episodes of Black Lagoon, and keep meaning to watch the rest.

I liked the first Ghost in the Shell, and I think I saw the sequel, but I don't remember liking it as much as the first one.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another Cowboy Bebop fan here. Will have to see if it's available streaming & give it another watch.

I remember watching Gundam Wing in elementary school & enjoying it.

Initial D was fun too.

Evangelion & Escaflowne

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post