SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Any anime fans on the site?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any anime fans on the site? Login/Join 
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
What, no Samurai Champloo? Big Grin....and Trigun?

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Samurai Champloo

That actually turned out to be a much better series than I thought it was going to be when I started it. It left me with a lot of questions and a desire to see more, just like Bebop, which I think may have been the point and the marker of a great story.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9152 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke(lot of cameo voices). Star Blazers series was one of my favorites- loved when they fired up the Wave Motion Gun.

More recently, my kids got me watching Attack on Titan. First season was good, then it seemed to get boring- less about the giant man eating titans and more about the human characters.

I also watched Soul Eater all the way through with them. Not bad.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been watching pretty all of it and just about every series mentioned since I was in highschool so for over 20 years.

Now that I'm in mid 30's and getting older I still watch about 5-6 shows per season with 4 seasons year round.

Been really cutting back on purchasing physical media unless I really liked it to death, just don't have the time anymore to rewatch shows now that I'm working 50 hour plus work weeks.

Been really into buying and reading light novels that a lot of the current shows are based off of.

Recently about 2 weeks ago saw in theaters The Saga of Tanya the Evil Movie it was a 1 night only showing across 500 theaters most were close to or sold out. It just came out in Japan back in late Feb and was brought over so quickly and was a hugesuccess. Been keeping up with the Light Novels so that I can continue the story until they make another season.

One series I'm really into recently that ended a few months back but just received the latest Novel is Goblin Slayer. Now this is not a franchise for the faintess of heart.

Their is a show for everyone but it's sad that many series just don't hold up today, or once they ended the buzz wore off and it's forgotten forever.

Posts: 966 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mo4040:
StarBlazers was definitely the Yamato, not a submarine.

Good series.

The other one you are referring to was called Space Carrier Blue Noah. It was redistributed as Thundersub.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Did you guys see a live action version of Akira is in the works? I’m not sure how I feel about Akira being redone. It’s one of my all time favorite films and kicked off my obsession with motorcycles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I can’t wait for the live-action Akira! Ghost in the Shell was so awesome I can’t imagine why they haven’t flooded the market with more live-action anime!!

Sarcasm aside, if they can replicate the magic of Alita: Battle Angel, great. Otherwise, people need to get drug out in the street and slapped silly.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Today’s audience can’t handle the subtleties of shows like Akira, Alita, Venus Wars, GitS, etc.

IMO these stories demand reflection, introspection, and the atmospheric presentation requires savoring.

I get that they’re out for money, but maybe things don’t necessarily need a live-action counterpart.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9152 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Wow, you mentioned Venus Wars! That's the anime that got me hooked on the genre.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Today’s audience can’t handle the subtleties of shows like Akira, Alita, Venus Wars, GitS, etc.

IMO these stories demand reflection, introspection, and the atmospheric presentation requires savoring.

So true. Comparing the storyline of Sailor Moon to the stuff on TV is like comparing the LSO to the Kardashians.

Posts: 9140 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Enjoyed Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke(lot of cameo voices). Star Blazers series was one of my favorites- loved when they fired up the Wave Motion Gun.

I have a copy of the Space Battle Ship Yamamoto live action movie. It was really faithful to the show in how the WMG fired.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
I have a copy of the Space Battle Ship Yamamoto live action movie. It was really faithful to the show in how the WMG fired.

Haven't seen that one yet.

I have seen the Star Wars Holiday Special. It is not as good as Captain Harlock. Hell it is worse than the commercials that accompanied Captain Harlock. The Kool-Aid man would have added more flair, then they could have used a Hawaiian Punch!

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I used to watch more, but I still do. Some will recognize my long-time avatar of Gunslinger Girl Henrietta and her P239. I even ordered a P239 through the IOP because of that, although her pistol was 9MM and mine is 40/357.

Probably my enduring favorites are Serial Experiments: Lain and Haibane-Renmei. Really, pretty much any slice-of-life series or something not too fantastic is what I like.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
PORKO ROSSO and My Neighbor Totoro are my favorites hell they are all good.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2257 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Started watching Attack on Titan over the weekend based on the recommends here. Interesting show, got about 6 episodes in so far.
Only season 1 available on Netflix.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ergoproxy:
What, no Samurai Champloo? Big Grin....and Trigun?

I had personalized TRIGUN plates on my car for two years. I let it lapse when I switched cars and someone else got them.

My daughter got me this for Father’s Day.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Started watching Attack on Titan over the weekend based on the recommends here. Interesting show, got about 6 episodes in so far.

That's strange. They used to have both seasons available.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

That's strange. They used to have both seasons available.

I saw only about 25 episodes for S1 on Netflix.
Looking on Wikipedia, there appears to be 3 seasons.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Live action Cowboy Bebop hitting Netflix mid-November.
Early teaser trailers were not confidence inspiring, but this (first 'official' trailer looks better).
Appears they're re-doing some of the original series, rather than new storylines. Hopeful it turns out well.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like the ones I grew up with like Space Battleship Yamato and Cowboy Beebop, and like the Ghibli/Miyazaki films, and a few others like Samurai Champloo, but don't follow the genre closely.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post