SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Double Indemnity
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Indemnity Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
Was re-watching Double Indemnity recorded from TCM this morning and saw the last scene with Fred MacMurray and Edward G Robinson..

MacMurray is bleeding out on the floor and pulls a blood stained cigarette out and Robinson strikes the match with his finger tip just like MacMurray has done through out the movie and lights it for him. One of those shots that is perfect Film Noir:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
This movie has always bothered me by the way FM says Baby to everything Barbara Stanwyck. It just sounds so funny coming from him. Just doesn’t sound natural coming from him.
I’ve been wondering a lot about the matches they used in the movies. Were they movie made, special props? Or is that how easy it was to light matches back in the day?
You see someone light a match from behind someone’s ear. Or they strike the match against a fence post. Was it special effects, or just good matches?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read where strike-anywhere matches were changed years ago, and the new ones won't strike anywhere like the old ones do in the movies. I too, wondered about this, it is a great special effect. I love the movie,too, have it on DVD. "I didn't get the money, I didn't get the woman......."

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah they were sold as kitchen matches. In addition to practicing cool ways to flip open your Zippo and light a smoke you also practiced striking kitchen matches with your fingernail using one hand only. Some guys enjoyed lighting their matches off their teeth or zipper on their pants.

Another technique was strking one match in a book of matches with one hand while driving. On more than one occasion the whole book went up in flames.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the use of "baby" by ol' Fred was just the slang of the times. Like Bogey saying, "Angel, Doll, Mugs, Saps,Dopes, etc.

Regards to the matches, I liked to throw them on the sidewalks..everyday was like the 4th of July.

Also, I would drop them down the barrel of my bb gun & shoot them at the outside wall or brick work. Like I had a flamethrower. Only took a few returnable pop bottles to arm myself with a box of the red-heads strike anywhere.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about matches prior to the "strike anywhere" matches that were even easier to light.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a Billy Wilder bit. Discussed here.

Wilder uses this bit in at least three of his films- Double Indemnity, Ace in the Hole, and Stalag 17.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107579 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Wilder used that match bit to good effect more than once. I thought the best was with William Holden and Neville Brand. And “Strike Anywhere” matches were very real. I remember my grandpa would light them with one hand using his thumb.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:

Also, I would drop them down the barrel of my bb gun & shoot them at the outside wall or brick work. Like I had a flamethrower. Only took a few returnable pop bottles to arm myself with a box of the red-heads strike anywhere.

I used to do that in the morning waiting on the bus to school to arrive... totally forgot about that....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post