SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Manchester by the Sea.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manchester by the Sea. Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
Has anyone seen this movie yet?

My wife and I went to the 11:10 showing.

I want my 2+ hours back.

Then I look it up on line and see how wonderful everyone thinks it is.

Is it me, or did this movie suck? I am open to the possibility of it being me.

In my best New England accent, What the fauk?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for Netflix.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I'm waiting for Netflix.

It is an Amazon original film, it would probably be safe to say it never makes it over to Netflix

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was an excellent film. The pace is slow. Some people can't slow down and pace with the film. One of the best of 2016.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Been looking forward to seeing it as I enjoy Casey Affleck...can't stand his brother though.

I don't go to the theater so I've been waiting for it to come on AppleTV. I think it's due out on the 17th.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Been looking forward to seeing it as I enjoy Casey Affleck...can't stand his brother though.

I don't go to the theater so I've been waiting for it to come on AppleTV. I think it's due out on the 17th.

That's probably Feb. 16 or 17. The 16th would be 90 days after theatrical release.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I'm waiting for Netflix.

It is an Amazon original film, it would probably be safe to say it never makes it over to Netflix

It's all the same to me.

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Wife saw the commercials and saw too many men crying (only takes one) and said "we won't be going to see that. "

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My wife and I saw it tonight. Rented it on Amazon for $5, which was $10 too much.
I could not really tell you what the movie was about or if there was a message.
The rave reviews on the acting proves to me that movie reviewers are forced to take psychotropic drugs in large quantities.
The ending was a blessing because there was to be no more and yet I was mystified that there was no conclusion.
Save your money.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I watched this last night with my wife and really liked it. The writing and acting were great, the message was just right (that sometimes bad things happen to good people and it takes time and caring to heal), and for once, guns were depicted as something other than evil tools.

Spoiler Alert!

The scene where Afleck's character and his son look at the deceased brother/father's gun collection was right on. You could tell that the few guns he had were valuable and although the two had argued, they both recognized that the firearms weren't something that were inherently evil, but offered a solution to their immediate quandary. How many of us look at our collections not just because we like to shoot, but as an monetary asset which could (in a difficult financial situation), be a lifeline?

I liked that aspect and the fact that these two good (but troubled) people could find common ground to help each other heal.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I found it depressing as hell.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eamonn Wright
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Has anyone seen this movie yet?

My wife and I went to the 11:10 showing.

I want my 2+ hours back.

Then I look it up on line and see how wonderful everyone thinks it is.

Is it me, or did this movie suck? I am open to the possibility of it being me.

In my best New England accent, What the fauk?

I've lived in N.E. just about my entire life, and I've never heard anyone pronounce fuck, as "fauk". That's just bad acting.

"The government is best which governs least."- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6562 | Location: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: December 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soooooo friggin boring it made my teeth hurt. And then it ended, I mean it was just one minute boring me to tears and then it just stopped. Cold. Credits. Over. Don't waste any money on this snoozer.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out when it comes to Amazon Prime in May. We actually thought about renting it but watched the trailer, and it did look boring. We generally like Casey Affleck and don't have problems with slow dramas as long as the story is good.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I watched this over the weekend after having it recommended by a movie buff. I just don't get what the fuss is about. At the end I just thought is that it? I just don't get it.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I saw it.

I really liked it.
Affleck turns it yet another great performance.

I have a thing for Michelle Williams. Not enough Michelle Williams in this film.

I don't mind slow-paced films. In fact I tend to prefer them over mindless action films.

The one thing that bothered me about the movie is that it's yet another overly-romanticised rendering of New England as a cold and harsh clime, which is reflected in the characters. I've spent enough time in NE to know that there are some truly good people there. Enough with the stereotyping already.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have mixed feelings about it.

I think the story itself is a good one, but the movie was just painful to sit through. It dragged on and on and on and on far too long, and I quickly grew very tired of the overdone Boston accents, mannerisms, and attitudes.

Had it been an hour long I probably would have walked away liking it. As it is, I hated it and I walked away angry. It's odd that a movie would put me in that state of mind, but it ended up being a miserable experience for me. Everyone in the film was angry which made me angry having to watch them being miserable.

If I had to take away one good thing from it, Casey Affleck is one hell of an actor who always turns in a great performance...despite being in a lousy movie.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post