SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Kingfish pawns a Gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kingfish pawns a Gun Login/Join 
posted
Nice to see that these are still available. Quite funny.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Great, just spent the last two and a half hours watching Amos and Andy. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Tnx for the memories. ROFLMAO. ............ drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I love Amos & Andy. When I was a kid, we had a lot of the shows on VHS tapes. Now I have a ton of the old radio shows on my iPhone and I really enjoy them.

This is one of my favorite of the TV episodes. Kingfish and Andy get into a tangle with the IRS.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-V98qGdpsE

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Loved watching AA when I was a kid. A great series.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I watched 5 or 6 in total. Amos was barely in them, a couple not at all. Was that the norm or just what whomever uploaded?

It’s odd that people now complain about it as racist because of the way a few them spoke. Yet the other 95% of the black cast didn’t. Black lawyers, judges, doctors, policemen... I’d say that was pretty “progressive” for 1951.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I watched 5 or 6 in total. Amos was barely in them, a couple not at all. Was that the norm or just what whomever uploaded?

It’s odd that people now complain about it as racist because of the way a few them spoke. Yet the other 95% of the black cast didn’t. Black lawyers, judges, doctors, policemen... I’d say that was pretty “progressive” for 1951.

The first A&A radio show was in 1928. It was created and voiced by two white guys, Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll. They did all the voices until the mid 30s when female actors were added.

Amos Jones and Andy Brown originally left a farm in Georgia and headed to Chicago looking for a better life. They started the Fresh Air Taxi Company. I'm not sure how they wound up in NYC, but they did. As the show developed, more characters were introduced. Amos and Andy joined the Mystic Knights of the Sea Lodge and that's where George "Kingfish" Stephens comes in. Kingfish was always looking for a get quick rich scheme. The misadventures of Kingfish and Andy kind of took over eventually. But Amos was always around--he's the hardworking, happily married, good influence on Andy.

When the show was turned into a TV series, black actors were hired. Tim Moore played Kingfish and Spencer Williams played Andy. They were great together. I guess Kingfish and Andy were so over the top that Amos didn't get much screen time.

Both the radio and TV show had black characters of all walks of life--lawyers, police, clergy, business owners, insurance agents, judges, etc. For the radio show, the humor and goofs were similar to Fibber McGee or the Great Gildersleeve, IMO.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post