SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Norm MacDonald - Comic Genius
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norm MacDonald - Comic Genius Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Another thread got me thinking about Norm. I love this guy. He's a very brave comedian who forges ahead no matter how an audience reacts. This video points out that while MacDonald is known by most people (old enough to remember the 1990s) for his very brief jokes told during the SNL Weekend Update segments, the man actually tells very long and (seemingly) rambling jokes, dipped in world history and Russian literature. Uh, say what? Right. Just watch the video, and stick around for the punch line of the very long joke he's shown telling Conan O'Brien throughout the video. It will tell you a lot about the man's idea of comedy.

You can find several videos on youtube of MacDonald using Hitler for his comedy routine. This would be a fatal mistake for most comedians, but Norm has the courage and the delivery to pull it off. IIRC, he was fired from SNL because some humorless NBC exec did not find him funny. Some people wouldn't know funny if it bit them on the ass. I agree with the author of this video that MacDonald serves as a litmus test for a person's sense of humor.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Totally agree - a true genius.

Posts: 22859 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How 'bout that joke? Big Grin

I've always said that if you have to explain a joke to someone, there's no point in doing so, but MacDonald is an exception to this. If a joke bombs with an audience, he just stares at them, waits for people to catch up to the joke, then, in many instances, he'll explain why the joke is funny and he does this so well. It's all in the deivery.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
He is the greatest. I love hearing other comics talk about him, too.

His podcast on Youtube was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. So sad that it's not up anymore, but the episodes with Gilbert Gottfried put me in pain. There is a youtube channel called "ImNotNorm" which has tons of Norm videos. I can't count how many times I've just sat and watched Norm videos for an hour or two.

I tell his giant pumpkinhead joke all the time. Smile

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Don Ohlmeyer didn't think he was funny on SNL Update and was pissed at the OJ jokes so he fired Norm mid season. It's never been the same.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
.."ImNotNorm" which has tons of Norm videos. I can't count how many times I've just sat and watched Norm videos for an hour or two.

Yep. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Don Ohlmeyer didn't think he was funny on SNL Update and was pissed at the OJ jokes so he fired Norm mid season.
Talk about backing the wrong horse. Man oh man Roll Eyes

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Don Ohlmeyer didn't think he was funny on SNL Update and was pissed at the OJ jokes so he fired Norm mid season.

A bronco?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
A bronco?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

A bronco?

Yeah, well he's dead at 72. Wonder if OJ did it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just found this. How incredibly rude they were to the man, especially her Royal Majesty Baba Wawa. And although its hard to hear, at just past the two minute mark, you can hear Star I-am-a-lawyer Jones say "You're not allowed to make accusations (referring to the POTUS) without evidence, that's not the way it works." From the cackling hens on the freaking View!! Monumental hypocrisy!

posted Hide Post
Don't nobody fast forward...watch the whole thing

LOL

Big Grin

That was great.

Not the harpies, the video in the first post.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MacDonald and Dennis Miller, both very smart, some times too smart, comedians for network television.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always loved his comedy and his show. Was surprised when the show was cancelled and understood what happened later. He and Dennis Miller are very definitely some of the exceptions to come out of SNL.

Posts: 169 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Found the Norm show with Gilbert Gottfried. Looks like there are 4 parts. Some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gpp6u

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Norm on Dennis Miller Live...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I think this is my favorite Norm joke.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
How about this classic.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I like the guy. I was just watching this youtube of Norm MacDonald last week.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh my God, this is hilarious. The first episode of Norm MacDonald Live. Norm, Adam Eget and the late, great Dave Osborne. Super Dave did the best faux outrage and he does that bit throughout ths entire show. The whole segment is worth your time, but check out the 13:45 mark for Super Dave's story about Sly Stone and the midget on the Mike Douglas Show. OMG, I laughed so hard. Also, check out the "Fergie" and Redd Foxx stories he follows up with. "Can't a man relax?!" Damn, I miss this guy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,