SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Steve McQueen The Man and Le Mans/Winning the Racing Life of Paul Newman

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steve McQueen The Man and Le Mans/Winning the Racing Life of Paul Newman Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Watched 2 excellent documentaries last night on Amazon Streaming. While both were about racing and an actor/driver they were both extremely different.

I first saw Le Mans when I was probably around 8 years old and thought it was the coolest movie ever and that bright blue and orange Porsche 917's were cool but not as cool as a red Ferrari. I've seen it numerous times since but always kind of background filler. I never had any idea of the real life drama that went into the making of the film. I always knew that Steve McQueen was a badass, but he could be a real bastard as well. After watching the documentary of the film, I feel like I need to watch Le Mans again to fully appreciate it.

Winning, The Racing Life of Paul Newman was incredibly well done. I knew that Newman was a racer, but I had no idea how good he actually was. At length interviews with Robert Wagner, Robert Redford, Bob Sharp and my motorsports hero, Mario Andretti help to tell the story.

If you're into racing or cars at all, check out both of these films. Some great racing footage as well as incredible stories.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 9538 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I'm not into racing, even though my entire family is, but I really enjoyed Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman, and not just because I like Adam Carolla, either. It's just a good documentary, I was interested the whole time. I highly recommend it if you're a fan of Paul Newman, you're into auto racing, or just got an hour and a half to kill and like learning stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 14838 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
I will look for the one on Paul Newman.
Met him in '80 or '83 when he was racing his 280Z at Road America. Back then the pits were open and he let me check out his car. Very nice, but also a true racer and focused on racing.

Posts: 729 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:

Winning, The Racing Life of Paul Newman was incredibly well done.

Yes, see it if you can.

Posts: 4021 | Location: Columbia, Illinois | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
By chance I watched these both in the last few weeks. Amazing how Paul Newman gave no quarter on the track. Well worth the time if you are in to cars or racing.

Posts: 397 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Have seen them both (again) recently. I really enjoy them - most any racing stuff. McQueen is featured in the 1971 documentary "On Any Sunday" a motorcycle sport classic film, he's was a pretty good rider too.

America First!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Have seen them both (again) recently. I really enjoy them - most any racing stuff. McQueen is featured in the 1971 documentary "On Any Sunday" a motorcycle sport classic film, he's was a pretty good rider too.

Good enough to do all of his stunt riding--with the notable exception of the jump across the barbed wire fence--in The Great Escape. This includes the riding that his character did, as well as two German soldiers: the one who hit the wire that Hilts strung up to get a motorcycle, and one of the Germans chasing him during the escape attempt.

Posts: 1450 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe McQueen died of mesothelioma and that the source may have been fibers from asbestos , which apparently was used in some of the face masks the dirt track riders used back in the day .

Posts: 611 | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
Good enough to do all of his stunt riding--with the notable exception of the jump across the barbed wire fence--in The Great Escape.

Than would be Bud Ekins that did the jump over the fence for McQueen.

America First!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
Good enough to do all of his stunt riding--with the notable exception of the jump across the barbed wire fence--in The Great Escape.

Than would be Bud Ekins that did the jump over the fence for McQueen.

That would be correct. Word has it that McQueen tried it but wiped out.

Posts: 1450 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My favorite Steve McQueen driving story involves Bruce Lee. Jump to 4:47 in the video (have posted this before, but I really love this story). Talking is karate great Pat Johnson (the guy who tries to shake down Roper in Enter the Dragon). Hey, we all have our "sensitive" side...

Posts: 9873 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I believe McQueen died of mesothelioma and that the source may have been fibers from asbestos , which apparently was used in some of the face masks the dirt track riders used back in the day .

The face masks he and other racers use until this day are nomex and similar fabrics. Before nomex driving suits and masks were cotton dipped in some sort of starch stuff that was not very effective at preventing burns.
McQueen was a heavy smoker and that's a lot more likely to have caused his lung cancer.

Posts: 2852 | Location: North GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:

The face masks he and other racers use until this day are nomex and similar fabrics. Before nomex driving suits and masks were cotton dipped in some sort of starch stuff that was not very effective at preventing burns.
McQueen was a heavy smoker and that's a lot more likely to have caused his lung cancer.

If you research his cause of death, you will see that his lung cancer was diagnosed as mesothelioma, which is caused by asbestos exposure not smoking . How he was exposed to asbestos is open to debate including the face mask or the helmet having contained asbestos . Perhaps more likely is the fact that he once had a job involving asbestos removal .

Posts: 611 | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I believe he did asbestos removal or worked on asbestos covered pipes in the Navy.

Posts: 9419 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Actually there is a strong increase in mesothelioma risk associated with smoking + asbestos exposure. IIRC it increases to 22 times normal, much higher than with asbestos alone but I don't recall the figure off the top of my head. That's from my pulmonary professor in 1980.

Posts: 12220 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
I believe he did asbestos removal or worked on asbestos covered pipes in the Navy.

McQueen was in the Marines.
"...McQueen believed that asbestos used in movie sound stage insulation and race-drivers' protective suits and helmets could have been involved, but he thought it more likely that his illness was a direct result of massive exposure while removing asbestos lagging from pipes aboard a troop ship while in the Marines.[74][75] ........ wiki so ?

Jim

Posts: 610 | Location: Southeastern Iowa | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^lol
Even tho the Marines ride around on Navy ships, I didn't mean to sleight the Marines. Just didn't remember correctly.

Posts: 9419 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post