SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    UFO - British SciFi Series (1970)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UFO - British SciFi Series (1970) Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
Does anyone remember UFO, a Brit SciFi show from 1970? Just (re) watched episode 1. Lots of bad special effects, cheesy writing, smoking, drinking, ladies with purple hair and very short mini-skirts.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Yes I remember watching it in the late 70s, I liked it. Would not mind watching some reruns if available.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The sub-launched fighter and the moon-based units were very cool. I understand the original toys fetch a pretty penny nowadays.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
watched most on Netflix (disc, not streaming) a few years ago,

the Netflix hub was missing a disc when so I did not get them all,

not sure if it is on a streaming service,

watched it whenever I could when I was a kid, seems it was on a station every now and again,

as my luck is,, it was on Sci Fi channel for a good while, when we (wife and I) lived in an area without the sci fi channel on our cable options,,

so when we would go to the beach or wherever for vacation, I would try to catch a few episodes, if the rental had cable,

when sci fi was became available,, they dropped the show,

eta

here's an interesting article on the Straker's car

http://gerryanderson.co.uk/finding-strakers-car/

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes.

Gabrielle Drake... Purple-haired goodness...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Have the DVD box set somewhere. Great series to watch as a kid in the early 70's. The Moon Base girls would give you wood.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wreckless:
Have the DVD box set somewhere. Great series to watch as a kid in the early 70's. The Moon Base girls would give you wood.

the chicks on the subs with the fishnet tops were not slacking either

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I remember a lotta boobs on that show, even for the seventies.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have it on disk and on my server. Pretty decent show, although I thought the one shot fighters were pretty lame.

Biggest issue with the series is.... it just stopped. Oh, and Gabrielle Drake's character just disappeared part way through with no explanation.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I thought the episodes were on Youtube. I found them somewhere.

Great show, though cheesy at times. I always liked the moon-based interceptors and the spaceship-launchung SST.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember watching it years ago and so I bought the boxed set off of Amazon. I have watched most of them but got side tracked.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I watched the entire series last year. Started again on Netflix or Hulu. I can't remember which. I remember this series as a child. Yes, its a cheesy. But, its so much fun. As far as the women on this show this is the one I always remembered.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a few episodes on youtube. I'd love to see a more modern version.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

Modern is fine, just so long as they keep the fishnet tops and miniskirts split to the waist.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
For me as a kid, British shows may as well have come from the moon. They just had a wholly different feel. Like how they said 'UFO'. Yu-fo instead of yoo-eff-oh.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

please no,,

hollywierd would make Straker a transgender,, Razz

look how bad the screwed up the Thunderbirds

Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
The entire series is on Youtube, one of the channels has it.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

please no,,

hollywierd would make Straker a transgender,, Razz

look how bad the screwed up the Thunderbirds

I skipped that one. But, point to Lyman. Hollywierd can screw anything up.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

and still a very good looking woman today,

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't remember that one...

How about 'Space - 1999' ??

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post