SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Once upon a time in Hollywood
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once upon a time in Hollywood Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Got ticket for tonight's show with my 20 YO son and his best friend.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
is this his last film?
didn't he promise not to make any more movies ?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This week he said he will make another after this and then stop. We will see.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
10 was suppose to be the magic number. Hopefully #10 will be this:

Posts: 4130 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night. Entertaining, if unevenly. Parts were brilliantly acted, others sort of meandered. Decaprio can act, so can Brad Pitt.

The "throw-away" scene with Bruce Lee was hilarious. I really need to see it again to pay close attention to everything going on. As for the atmosphere (very late 1960s), very good.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
The "throw-away" scene with Bruce Lee was hilarious. I really need to see it again to pay close attention to everything going on. As for the atmosphere (very late 1960s), very good.

Agreed with Bruce Lee.

I also am going to see again, feel like I missed too much the first time around.

An aside....I was more entertained by the enlightened audience, many of whom were noticeably uncomfortable with the racial language in the film...which caused me to laugh louder at those scenes.

LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
For me, QT is very hit or miss. Some I love, and some I can't watch. There isn't much in between.

I'll watch this one, because the good ones are very good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Don't like QT, and I'm sure as hell not going to watch a movie with that psycho Manson in it.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
The "throw-away" scene with Bruce Lee was hilarious. I really need to see it again to pay close attention to everything going on.

I have no plans to see the film, Tarantino no longer interests me. But the Bruce Lee angle is interesting. Most folks do not realize that Lee was a part of the Hollywood scene in the late 60s, trying to get acting jobs and teaching martial arts to all kinds of stars, including McQueen and Tate. He was friends and hung out with that whole crowd, including his buddy Jay Sebring, one of the people murdered in Tate's house. In a recent Lee biography, it is claimed that Polanski briefly suspected Bruce Lee of the murders; a pair of glasses were left at the scene and Lee was missing a pair. Plus Polanski thought Lee was capable as a one-man wrecking crew.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Don't like QT, and I'm sure as hell not going to watch a movie with that psycho Manson in it.

You know that Manson is dead, right? That is an actor playing Manson? Even if he hadn't died, the state of California wouldn't have allowed him to act in a movie?

You can't even watch a depiction of Manson?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'll see this some day but not in a theater. I won't feel deprived or diminished between now and then.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I think QT went downhill after Jackie Brown.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:

You know that Manson is dead, right? That is an actor playing Manson? Even if he hadn't died, the state of California wouldn't have allowed him to act in a movie?

You can't even watch a depiction of Manson?

Yeah, I know Manson is dead, and may he BURN IN HELL FOREVER. I watched “Helter Skelter” and once with anything depicting that psycho was enough for me. YMMV.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
The "throw-away" scene with Bruce Lee was hilarious. I really need to see it again to pay close attention to everything going on.

I have no plans to see the film, Tarantino no longer interests me. But the Bruce Lee angle is interesting. Most folks do not realize that Lee was a part of the Hollywood scene in the late 60s, trying to get acting jobs and teaching martial arts to all kinds of stars, including McQueen and Tate. He was friends and hung out with that whole crowd, including his buddy Jay Sebring, one of the people murdered in Tate's house. In a recent Lee biography, it is claimed that Polanski briefly suspected Bruce Lee of the murders; a pair of glasses were left at the scene and Lee was missing a pair. Plus Polanski thought Lee was capable as a one-man wrecking crew.

I did not know the level of involvement Bruce Lee had in Hollywood. This angle is documented very well. You might want to just see the movie.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I did not know the level of involvement Bruce Lee had in Hollywood. This angle is documented very well. You might want to just see the movie.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tarrantino only knew this time through watching film and reading books. He has an excellent grasp of the time period but through film. That summer of 1969 was Woodstock, the moon landing, Manson murders and a time of great turmoil in this country. Bruce Lee was just a blip at the time outside of Hollywood.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
Just saw the movie-will give it two big thumbs up, esp. the ending-usually don't enjoy gratuitous violence but really enjoyed watching those people getting their comeuppance-brilliant move, Tarantino(am not usually a fan of his films). And Damian Lewis playing Steve McQueen-spot on! The Brad Pitt character-old school virtues,combat veteran, tough guy persona-worth the price of admission right there.

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
If you guys don’t like Tarantino why are you even in this thread?
I don’t like the the man’s politics but he is a great film maker and I have every intention of seeing this movie. Hell - I don’t like Caprio’s politics nor Pitt’s but they make entertaining movies

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:

I don’t like the the man’s politics but he is a great film maker

Not always. Some of his stuff is insulting and full of itself. His good stuff is good. He's not so much political as an insufferable dick. I don't jump right into everything he cranks out just because, you know, Tarantino.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
When it comes to films I view the subject matter and leave the politics all the way the fuck out of it.

This was not a good movie. I’d call it a B film.
I had 2 remaining passes to the local cineplex (not just one remaining that I’ll use for The Irishman) and when those are used I will no longer go. Plan was to use one to see this. Tarantino is one of the best directors around. The Hateful Eight and Inglorious Bastards were both excellent. This film was no where near the level of those. Scenes were way too long. Pacing extremely slow. It’s like he made it to just make it...to satisfy some inner urge. A homage it is not. It was acted well so I can’t fault Nardo or Brad Pitt. Lots of solid cameos. And Andie McDowell’s daughter is a damn stunner. Loved the quads in the skimp outfit. But as I said, scenes way too long, slow pacing, and a silly plot. Pitt provided the comedy of the film, with Bruce Lee and his dog in the final scene. The rest of it was so meh, boring, slow. Some of the shots of Pitt driving or Margot Robbie were just silly. Super long and really no point.

I think Quentin is just getting old at this point and talking about one more film and he’s done. He should have already retired if this is the quality he is going to put out. People stayed at my viewing just to see it out. Nobody was excited and it was pretty dull in there. If you have interest I’d recommend waiting for the disc. After seeing it I don’t I know where the critics or viewer ratings are coming from, I sure didn’t see it. Big stars with decent acting but it was clear the director screwed the pooch.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
- QT movies usually are set around alternate realities, and getting-even with history type themes, this one is no different. There was nothing unique about this story other than a clever 'What if..' plot. This is a classic QT movie what he does well: story spinning into dialogue, camera angles/views, music, period accuracy and what he doesn't do so well: long running scenes, fixations on the inane & idiosyncratic, slow moving plots. Quinton, just say CUT!

- Micheal Madsen, Kurt Russel and Zoe Bell, check. Another QT movie to be in.

- Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen...wow. Eek

- Margot Robbie is hot, regardless of era or, role, good lord she is fine.

- Bruce Lee was very much a part of the Hollywood zeitgeist, becoming friends and training various celebrities: McQueen, Coburn, Garner, Norris and Polanski. Besides being one of the few Asian actors (check the exotic box), he was uniquely self-assured and a proponent of 'a new fighting method' for Hollywood to get into; attractive qualities in a world of the superficial and hip. He was fast friends with the actors and those on set, it was the executives and producers Lee had issues with when it came to casting and stereotyping.

- Costume, wardrobe and set designers must've had a ball with this movie and all the distinct period scenes.

- Must've seen more cigarettes than the entire first season of True Detective.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
10 was suppose to be the magic number. Hopefully #10 will be this:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v3Nv2R9Acec" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Wow, that video was released over 1.5 years ago well before QT was announced as the director of the next Star Trek movie, and they nailed it!

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post