SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Once upon a time in Hollywood
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Once upon a time in Hollywood Login/Join 
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night and was expecting more. I thought it was a little disappointing. Had a few funny scenes though. We all love Pussy, yes we do. Lol

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Saw it this weekend; thought it was okay. 6.5 out of 10, I suppose. As a movie about about getting old, of fearing that your best days are behind you, and finding a way to manage that shift, it was generally fine...as a movie about how the Manson murders were among the final nails in the coffin for the hippie/free-love counterculture of the late '60s, it was pretty slight (especially given the alternative history, which was kind of interesting, I suppose, but also undermined any historical substance the film may have touched upon). I thought the relationship between the characters Pitt and Dicaprio played was interesting, as was the parallel tracks the two (ultimately converging) stories had...but short of that it largely seemed like a self-indulgent, overly-long, film that meandered rather than enlightened and entertained.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Saw it yesterday. I totally agree with Prefontaine's assessment. Scenes that were just too f'ing long. I'll add that Rick's (DiCaprio) complete dismissal of his BFF for 8 years, Cliff (Pitt), at the movie's end made me lose any respect I had built for Rick, but that was the point of the scene: a Hollywood actor's narcissistic personality. He was off to a new, fresh set of friends who could do something for him.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
don't cry in front of the mexicans.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
spoilder alert:

-

-

-

now i want to reread [ bugliosi's helter skelter. ]

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night.

I think Tarantino has started enjoying the smell of Tarantino's farts too much and is doing things that Tarantino thinks Tarantino would do to try and out do Tarantino.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really liked parts of the movie, and damnit, Decaprio CAN act (Pitt too). Very uneven, but (spoilers), when he walked up to the pool with a flamethrower, that was epic.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I can't believe they are letting this guy near Star Trek

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I generally avoid Tarantino movies and really didn't know this was one, when we rented it. I think my wife picked it because of Brad Pitt. So after about an hour, during which time we alternated asking the other, when does this thing pick up?, we finally turned off the DVD player. Not even the possibility that Pitt might take his shirt off again was enough to keep my wife watching.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I liked it but I like tarentino dialog and the actors he generally uses. I dug the “happy ending”

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
It's getting harder to find excuses to watch the next QT movie after each new release.
KB and PF were outstanding but to me the rest is downhill. Steadily.
Enjoyed some, them some parts, then some scenes. Each time it gets more difficult to say it was worth my time. This was not.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Q. Tarentino has never been on my "must watch" list for his films.

Q. Tarentino is only a cast member in this one. I found the film impossible to watch and bailed early. The stink exists whether he directs or shows up in the cast. Frown

Sukiyaki Western Django

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was not a good film. Tarantino usually (to me) produces stellar work even though I don’t like him personally. But this was a dud.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm done with Tarantino

I haven't had a burning desire to see any of his films in quite a while. The last one I saw was Inglorious Basterds.
I'm pretty sure that was my last, also. I'm not a gore fan, more just a shooting fan. ("Starship Troopers" is still the highest rated--1750 muzzle flashes.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
It was not a good film. Tarantino usually (to me) produces stellar work even though I don’t like him personally. But this was a dud.

Yes, but the scene with the pit bull was pretty entertaining.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have stayed away from this thread until I saw the movie. Finally did pay per view last night and liked it so much I watched it again today.

Thought there would be more positive reviews here but then again I am a bit of a simpleton at times.
Cool

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just streamed it last night

it was worth $4 to watch it in my living room

solid -- but not excellent really

enjoyed some of the cameos

--------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Entertaining flick with some historical insights (albeit not entirely accurate).

Was Dicaprio's character based on an actual hollywood actor from that era?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I agree completely.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
Watched this while flying to Poland on a 12" plane mounted screen. I thought it was very good. My expectations were low going into it. The dog and brad pitt were pretty good.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post