SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What are some of your favorite film scores?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are some of your favorite film scores? Login/Join 
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
The Last of the Mohicans
Gettysburg

Posts: 3656 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
For me it's less about the individual films and more about the composers of the scores: Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith, Elmer Bernstein, Hans Zimmer, James Horner, John Powell, Michel Legrand and many others. I'll even listen to John Williams...sometimes. I'll listen to the soundtracks even without ever having watched the associated movies. I do tend to favor scores from the 1960s and 70s over other eras. Nothing like a little Mancini to wake up to.

But if there's one film "soundtrack" that I listen to more than any other, it's Platoon by default, primarily because I've come to adore the melancholy classical work Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber which served as the main theme for the film. Here it was the film that introduced me to the music and I'm forever grateful. I also like listening to Mozart and classical music in general a lot these days so I suppose Amadeus is high up there as well. And of course a host of Looney Tunes soundtracks. Thank you Bugs Bunny. Smile

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lawrence of Arabia (Maurice Jarre) took my breath away at 12, and it still does.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I love the melody of the Overture from Prince of Thieves and I also love the theme of Band of Brothers. Both Michael Kamen, I believe. Morgan Creek used the PoT overture for their title music at the beginning of other films, as well.

Listen to PoT and BoB and you'll hear similarities.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hand's down favorite is "Conan the Barbarian", composed by Basil Poledouris.

Other honorable mentions:

"Thief" by Tangerine Dream
"Top Gun"
"Excalibur"
"Heavy Metal" (I know, this one's cheating a bit)

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
You all have named some of the best. I'd like to be a bit more contemporary...

Tron Legacy composed by Daft Punk. Whether you respect electronic music or not, this holds up against the best.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll probably be in the minority here, but as far as scores go, my favorite is probably Danny Elfman's score from Batman, the 1989 Tim Burton movie. I believe it's the only CD I got specifically for the score (I also got the soundtrack CD with Prince's songs).

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
But if there's one film "soundtrack" that I listen to more than any other, it's Platoon by default, primarily because I've come to adore the melancholy classical work Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber which served as the main theme for the film.

Ooooh, I forgot about that one. A roommate in college had it on cassette. I always liked it.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Conan the Barbarian
Repo Man
True Grit, Coen brothers
Seven Samurai
O' Brother, Where Art Thou
Dentist on the Job

And if musicals are included

Stormy Weather
Cabin in the Sky

I am surprised that Star Wars is not mentioned. I have heard the music so much that I have become indifferent but the score is excellent. Also Godfather, and Dr Zhivago.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Lalo Schifrin - wrote the soundtrack for Bullitt, Dirty Harry, Mission Impossible (many more)

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Adagio for Strings

Good one! Another Adagio I like is from the movie Sunshine.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm a music lover, not a movie lover. So, I have some "visual soundtracks" I particularly like.

Baraka (score by Michael Stearns)

Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance (score by Philip Glass)

1492 - Conquest of Paradise
and
Antarctica (soundtracks by Vangelis)

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Commitments
the Blues Brothers

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Magnificent Seven"; the original with Elmer Bernstein's magnificient score!
"Big Country" with Jerome Moross's wonderful score.
"Hatari!"by Mancini!

Posts: 306 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how to embed this video, but I’ve always loved the score to The Right Stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tCblQ_fnPpc

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Country - The Auction

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7F6kvEwaZc

Turn it up. (You'll miss a lot of your sound system doesn't have some bottom.)

The entire soundtrack album is quite good. One of my favourites.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
On the humor side - Pink Panther

Jaws

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
As a kid in the early 1960's we had a Saturday matinee that played a lot of the Errol Flynn Swashbucklers; Captain Blood, The Sea Hawks, Adventures of Robin Hood, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-RPzAbW7No

Then of course my Dad and my Uncles, all WW2 Veterans, would watch "Victory at Sea" every Sunday.

The music in that series really made the series.

Someone already posted "The Pink Panther" series, another favorite.

What about James Bond? The James Bond theme is a Classic. As well as the scores from the various early Bond movies.

Jaws, Star Wars, Magnificent Seven, Patton, Grand Prix, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, also come to mind.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post