SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What are some of your favorite film scores?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are some of your favorite film scores? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Henry Mancini also did a cover of Springtime for Hitler. I think about using this for my ringtone.

https://youtu.be/_nY1Sz6PU18

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Oh my...where to start...

Saving Private Ryan
Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
Lord of the Rings
The Rock
Crimson Tide
The Incredibles (which is more of a tribute to the early Bond scores)
Angels and Demons
The Magnificent Seven
City Slickers

I could go on and on....

I have studied film scoring a bit as a conductor, and the composers who really know what they are doing use the 100% rule. Basically, the idea of a film score should be to reinforce what is happening on the screen so the emotional content is at 100%- no more, no less. Sometimes this involves silence (reference the scene in The Force Awakens when Kylo Ren kills Harrison Ford...that moment didn't need any music because the scene itself was powerful enough). Sometimes the music supplements the scene by creating the missing piece. Reference the scene below, and only concentrate on the music. It's cued to start at the 2:00 mark.

There is no music during his death scene, but as the surrounding sound starts to diminish when he has his last words, the music quietly sneaks in and begins to add to the emotion of the characters surrounding him. This is but one example of truly masterful writing on John Williams' part. He didn't overwrite the music here, but he was able to keep the emotional state of this scene by simply maintaining the characters' emotions.

As a side note, my paternal grandfather was a WWII veteran in the African theater, and I had to conduct a suite of music from "Saving Private Ryan" about one hour after I was informed of his passing. That was one of the most emotional experiences of my conducting career.

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Master & Commander : The far side of the world.
Patton
Raiders of the lost ark
The sound of music

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn you guys are cool.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
A few of my favorites are:

Shawshank Redemption
Grand Canyon
Patton

There's another movie that I haven't seen in years, "The Player". While I don't remember much of the soundtrack I remember the end theme being haunting and powerful.

I stumbled across it on youtube yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oroTLjjKW0

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 620 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15 | Location: Florida | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Chariots of Fire
Lawrence of Arabia
Magnificent Seven
Several Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns
2001, a Space Odyssey (especially the main theme, Also Sprach Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss)

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
For Westerns, after the Magnificent Seven, Silverado is a favorite.

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of John Carpenter, I think Escape From New York was his best matching of score to visual esthetic.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Original James Bond theme from GOLDFINGER.
Forest Gump.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Shaft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFvRvSxsW-I

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I saw Legends of the Fall on here, a fantastic score for a highly underrated movie.

I’m shocked that no one has listed The Godfather.

So powerful, I sometimes listen to it while I smoke cigars and can envision specific scenes as I hear the music play.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of my favorites have already been listed. Some have not.

Braveheart
Last of the Mohicans
Star Wars (The Original Trilogy)
Gettysburg
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
Last of the Mohicans has been mentioned.

So I'll add this, John Adams (it's a miniseries, not a movie, but like the theme/soundtrack).

https://youtu.be/GxSLIgNKYZY

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Looking back on movies that stirred my musical soul, I can immediately recall three that put that lump in my throat. Others have already mentioned "Adagio for Strings" (Platoon)...a clear winner. The first runner-up is John Barry's score to "Dances with Wolves"...just awesome orchestration. The second runner-up is the scene in "Somewhere in Time" that features the 18th Variation of Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini", Andante cantabile. As a pianist, I wish I had learned that long ago when I was capable of playing at that level.

All just wonderful music that makes me jealous of the musicians that get to participate in these recordings.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thief - Tangerine Dream

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rappa
posted Hide Post
Conan The Barbarian (1982)
Glory
Star Wars EP4,5,6
Gladiator
Excalibur

Posts: 268 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: December 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many good ones; most already mentioned. Upon first seeing the thread title, two came quickly to mind:

Lawrence of Arabia, and, on a very different note,
True Romance.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post