Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IndyCar 2020 Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
It's not too late, the season just started, airing on NBCSN, Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg. Looking very racy...

*** Thread title updated, 2020 comments start page 6 ***

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell who had the advantage until the last pit stops were done.
The lack of yellows kept it from being a lottery as some of the street races are.
Rosenquvist looked good and drove a smart race.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'd like to think IndyCar is the most competitive major auto sport series right now. Not F1 but plenty fast, many excellent tracks, different disciplines and a great mix of old and new talent. I'd urge fans to get to know the players, invest yourself in IndyCar, it'll pay off.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I was a big CART fan,
hated to see the split with Indycar,

and did not care for Indycar for a while,, just didn't seem right for whatever reason,

did get to see them a few times on the oval here at RIR, do the pit tour etc etc,
good times,

I still try to keep up, but limited time (I usually work Sunday's) and odd TV coverage has kept me away,

FWIW, I was a Lil Al fan

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A couple of rookies were very impressive.
Rosenqvist was probably expected and with a top team.
Herta was fast in the practices and made a small error in qualifying that penalized him out of the top 6 and allowed Dixon in. He had to start a ways back because of that and moving forward on a tight street circuit is hard and risky work. He's only 18 years old and this is his first shot in a top series. The team is also on a steep learning curve.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I forgot all about the race until it was over - will have to track it down and see if I can catch a replay

must re-program my DVR a well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Finally, an AMAZING St. Petersburg race. It's interesting how much more exciting a race can get when it's not ruined by ESPN. I'm really going to enjoy this year. As far as notes:

1) Ganassi looks really scary this year. Scott Dixon finished 2nd when he normally saves his season in the second half and all the hype about Rosenquist seems to be paying off. The last time the #10 was that much of a threat was when Dario was driving the crapwagon.

2) It's been several days and no mention from Honda about Bourdais's and Hunter-Reay's engine problems. Two right bank failures on brand new engines from two different teams?

3) Wickens is just a badass. Making it out to the race (even if in a wheelchair) after a crash as horrifying as the one at Pocono was amazing and the videos he's been posting of his recovery are awe-inspiring. Not sure if it was posted, but here's the last video:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfz0kuNR3_Y

Next comes COTA on the 24th. I get the feeling IndyCar is going to put on a much better show than F1 has.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were there over the weekend in St Petersburg. Loved seeing the GT4 races as well. Was a lot of fun.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Lots of action in the race.
Great win by Colton Herta, the youngest Indycar winner ever, and the new Steinbrenner team. They played the right strategy but he was on the pace all weekend and drove like a champ when it counted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Nice race, wheel to wheel, some elbows, history made, young guns that much less green. I wonder if track limits were forgotten to get the fastest possible laps knowing comparisons to F1 are inevitable. Well, yeah, F1 faster, duh, but they only dream of mixing it up like we saw yesterday.

Barber Motorsports Park up next, maybe my favorite venue of the year.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I think the track limit thing was because the Firestones weren't gripping like they do every where else. If they make a softer tire for next year, then they might enforce that a bit more. I'm still feeling bad for Will Power. He should have pitted earlier, but the driveshaft breaking just flat sucks.

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Barber is a great place and the museum is well worth arriving a day early to see.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Barber is a great place and the museum is well worth arriving a day early to see.

They seem to have more good races than not at BMP. Not just a fast track with nice elevation changes, the cars look especially fast there. Smile

Usually a good turnout and yeah, looks like a great place to spend some time.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Another great one from the Alabama Rollercoaster. I was pumped for the RLL front row and sad that Graham Rahal's Honda pulled a LeClaire and died mid-race. Scott Dixon still scares me. While he's historically done well and on the podium at this race, he shouldn't be doing it and this rate at this early of the season. He's suppose to wait until the end of the season where everyone screws up and he wins everything.

Sebastien Bourdais stole another one in 3rd. It's a shame he already drove his tires off and couldn't get a better run at Dixon. Congrats to Takuma Sato and onward to Long Beach, the best street circuit on Planet Earth.

Here's some videos those who didn't watch:

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I can't think of any driver in any series happier with a win than Sato, it's infectious. He's brave, dangerous and always a wild card.

Rahal-Letterman seem to think they've found something, it's hard to argue what with how convincing Sato's win was.

Great action throughout the field, IndyCar delivers.

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Sorry but I am NOT a Sato fan. He has caused to many wrecks over the years and played a big part in wrecking out Dario Franchitti which caused his injury retirement. IIRC other drivers have also complained about his carelessness over the years.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Sorry but I am NOT a Sato fan. He has caused to many wrecks over the years and played a big part in wrecking out Dario Franchitti which caused his injury retirement. IIRC other drivers have also complained about his carelessness over the years.

Sato's last lap showed he's only so in control -- careless, wreckless, over the edge? -- yeah, you can't take him for granted. He is always pushing.

In his defense, with Franchitti, Sato got loose in a high speed turn, DR drove up his rear and launched. Last lap, fighting for position, all the factors of tire and track degradation, not something I'd put all on Sato.

Better and more instructive vids out there, this shows it well though quickly --

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8kJUbElcl8

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Visor Cam for IndyCar at Long Beach:

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Did about 12 to 13 years straight attendance at Long Beach G.P. A fun race and lots to do. Injuries kept me away last few years but my Son is carrying on the tradition. I plan on going again to Long Beach next year.

GO Newgarden!!

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Indy road course, wow, that was fun from start to finish. What a good race. Smile