IndyCar 2020

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3570093454

September 11, 2020, 08:12 AM
Ripley
IndyCar 2020
The most entertaining racing series gets a little more interesting --

Jimmie Johnson teams with Chip Ganassi on 2-year IndyCar program

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
September 11, 2020, 08:48 AM
DanH
So far just Road/Street Courses, but is looking for some extra sponsorship for a whole season run now that the aeroscreen is being used.
September 11, 2020, 01:43 PM
220-9er
I predict he will find it a little more difficult than he thinks.

September 11, 2020, 01:56 PM
Ripley
Yeah, I have to think that loss of the sharpest edge of aging reflexes will be more evident here than in NASCAR. Still, hoping for the best from him, could be as much fun for him as the fans. Who knows, if he can be competitive, maybe some other big names will say adios the the shit show NASCAR has become. Bring names and money, woo hoo!

October 04, 2020, 07:26 AM
DanH
Quite a bit of news recently. First off, the 2021 IndyCar schedule is out:

2021 NTT IndyCar Series schedule

March 7, St. Petersburg streets, NBC
April 11, Barber Motorsports Park, NBCSN
April 18, Long Beach streets, NBC
May 1, Texas Motor Speedway, NBCSN
May 2, Texas Motor Speedway, NBCSN
May 15, Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course, NBC
May 22-23, Indy 500 qualifying
May 30, 105th running of the Indianapolis 500, NBC
June 12, Belle Isle streets, Detroit, NBC
June 13, Belle Isle streets, Detroit, NBC
June 20, Road America, NBCSN
July 4, Mid-Ohio SportsCar Course, NBC
July 11, Toronto streets, NBCSN
August 8, Nashville streets, NBCSN
August 14, Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course, NBCSN
August 21, World Wide Technology Raceway, NBCSN
September 12, Portland International Raceway, NBC
September 19, WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, NBC

COTA was bumped off the schedule by NASCAR, but there's also rumors they're having money problems. Iowa is having money issues and might close down. Richmond was hoping for a title sponsor, but COVID took care of that. That sadly means only 4 oval races this year.

Next bit of news, the new engine spec has been moved to 2023:

https://racer.com/2020/10/03/i...nfirms-engine-plans/

Both Chevy and Honda have signed up long term for the 2.4L TTV6 Hybrid engines that will crank out 900hp+ on the road courses. No mention of a third manufacturer yet, but it's not out of the picture.

And lastly, we got two of the best road races in a long time at the Indy Road Course this weekend. We also have a title fight going into the finale at St. Petersburg for the 15th straight year in a row and a fight for the last car in the Leader's Circle entries for 22nd between AJ Foyt, Ed Carpenter, and Marco Andretti. Someone is not going to get $1 million from IndyCar next year for running full time.

Anyways, here's some highlights:

October 04, 2020, 12:18 PM
Ripley
Thanks, DanH. I knew there was a weekend double header, Friday and Saturday. What's with a Friday afternoon race?! Roll Eyes

Anyway, I saw a real time discussion as that race was going on, I hadn't been able to find it before hand to DVR it. It turns out it was airing on USA network of all places, huh? So I just caught the last half of race one, I guess I missed a lot of action.

Still, a couple very good races, IndyCar continues to entertain. One to go, hoping for some drama. Smile

October 04, 2020, 01:50 PM
DanH
That's COVID. There's no lights at Indy and Sunday is currently the Talladega NASCAR race (who will also be doing Cup races at the Indy Road Course, COTA, and Road America next year!).

If you have a cable subscription, you can watch the race on the NBC Sports website or pony up for the IndyCar Pass to get everything whenever you want. I'm not sure how long the replays stay up for the cable subscribers, but it's at least 2 weeks.
October 26, 2020, 08:20 AM
urbanwarrior238
Now that the season is over, will the Exec's get rid of Townsend Bell and replace him with Hinchcliffe!? Bell just blabbers and on several occasions I have heard him really invent stuff that truly wasn't there. Hinch would be a great new commentator.

Great job with a lot of the new up and coming drivers. My man Newgarden did a great job and Congrats to Dixon on #6.

Did anyone notice on this last race that Sato was apparently responsible for 2-more crashes? There didn't seem to be much talk about it or penalties sanctioned. Man he has got to go.

Until next year.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member