SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What Killed Bruce Lee?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Killed Bruce Lee? Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Think it was an allergic reaction to a prescription pain medication, as the official story says? This doctor has a different theory.

Of particular interest for someone who takes cortisone on a regular basis.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nero
posted Hide Post
The candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast.

nero

Posts: 4639 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
"I burn my candle at both ends,
it will not last the night.
Bot Oh! my foes,
and AHH! my friends,it makes a lovely light" Hillaire Belloc

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
That was interesting.
I was a huge fan back then.
Sad loss.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lack of oxygen to the brain.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
There's a new book out by Matthew Polly that speculates Bruce Lee died of heat stroke. He seemed to have all the symptoms of someone suffering from heat stroke. Back in the 70's there wasn't the awareness we have now about heat related injuries. I remember when I was training in the 1990's there was the thinking that lack of water during workouts made you tougher. They didn't give you any water breaks and if you passed out, you were considered a lightweight.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I'm familiar with the heat stroke theory, also. Both are fairly strong theories, stronger than a severe allergic reaction to Equigesic IMO.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I used to think it was BS too, but last year, after having taken aspirin and other NSAIDs (like ibuprofin) for years and years like candy for random aches and pains, I took two aspirin at work for a headache, and suddenly my eyes, mouth, and throat blew up from an allergic reaction. Within 30 minutes my eyelids were swollen to golf ball size and my mouth/throat was itchy and swelling too. Luckily I was 100 feet from the company on-site medical building where I ran in and they immediately took one look and gave me a big shot of benedryl. Took 8 hours before the swelling fully went away from the allergic reaction.

Just like Bruce Lee, I am Chinese Asian and at the time, quite healthy as I was working out like a madman. While I didn't die obviously, I also wasn't sleeping from a tranquilizer drug mixed in with the aspirin and got immediate treatment so who knows what might have happened otherwise. Doctor told me I had developed a severe allergy to NSAID's so no more for me ever again and can only take Tylenol now Frown .

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Interesting video, had a little bit of that low budget sleeze, but interesting theory.

Interesting note; at the 09:30 mark, Bruce Thomas, author of one of the many Bruce Lee books, speaks a bit. He is the same Bruce Thomas who was the bass player of The Attractions behind Elvis Costello.

In recent years, more have come out about Lee, especially his pot smoking. Apparently, the guy was a major head, according to his friends Bob Wall, Gene Lebell, etc. He also had an appetite for hash brownies, all to bring his pedal-to-the-floor personality to a more even level. And Lee also had a CCW or sorts; he was scared of getting killed.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought he had great potential as an actor.

As an aside, if you watch "Showdown in Little Tokyo" at the end Dolph Lundgrun fires his AR about 300 times without ever reloading.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
I used to think it was BS too, but last year, after having taken aspirin and other NSAIDs (like ibuprofin) for years and years like candy for random aches and pains, I took two aspirin at work for a headache, and suddenly my eyes, mouth, and throat blew up from an allergic reaction. Within 30 minutes my eyelids were swollen to golf ball size and my mouth/throat was itchy and swelling too. Luckily I was 100 feet from the company on-site medical building where I ran in and they immediately took one look and gave me a big shot of benedryl. Took 8 hours before the swelling fully went away from the allergic reaction.

Just like Bruce Lee, I am Chinese Asian and at the time, quite healthy as I was working out like a madman. While I didn't die obviously, I also wasn't sleeping from a tranquilizer drug mixed in with the aspirin and got immediate treatment so who knows what might have happened otherwise. Doctor told me I had developed a severe allergy to NSAID's so no more for me ever again and can only take Tylenol now Frown .

FWIW. As a kid Bruce was my first hero. Saw some films, read up and figured out he was the real deal. Plenty of credible folks in the martial arts community vouching. I started martial arts at an early age so learning everything about the man was common. He was filming at that time, working extremely long hours while working out like a mad man. You train that hard you need sleep, period, and he was getting very little. I never believed the conspiracies. I believe he was pushing himself over the edge and had an allergic reaction.

To this day I have a picture of him in my home office. He taught me about Chinese culture and opened my eyes at a very early age about the beauty of other cultures and ethnicities. Before my days are over I will fly up to Seattle and lay flowers and give my respect to him and his son. They are buried next to each other.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
i though she was related to married to George papadopoulos Lols. all my life i have heard different stories and theories of Lee's death and i have finally settle for: WE'LL NEVER KNOW.

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I always thought he died from a cumulative series of injuries sustained during battles with a Bengal Tiger, Chuck Norris and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
when i was younger (and dumb) i heard you was trying to show off his muscles and he did it some much that blood vessels popped out and he died.

Posts: 92 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I don't know what killed Bruce Lee, but I do know what killed Brandon Lee, Bruce's son. Bad, bad movie gun safety.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned/Thief
posted Hide Post
Yes i totally forget about abandon Lee, tons of horrible movies and daddy wanna be.