SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hidden Figures Movie

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hidden Figures Movie Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Has anyone seen Hidden Figures yet?

Was that a Soviet Vostok rocket shown in the trailer? It did not look like anything we had at that time in the early 1960's.

Posts: 21466 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
Pretty good movie. Brought back memories of the space race. Costner also played a good part. Pointed out how dangerous space travel is.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3033 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roberth
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10103 | Location: Westminster, Colorado | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
That's an odd "review" as the reviewer seems more concerned about the lead character's skin color ("All of which is quite a heavy burden to lay on the life story of Hidden Figures’ protagonist, the extremely light-skinned Katherine Johnson. Indeed, when she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, it was hard to tell if she was actually black"... Um, yeah dude) than the movie itself.

IIRC the ladies in question worked on the Mercury Project and had done later work on the Gemini and Apollo project.

The author appears surprised that parts of the movie are fictionalized, well as 10th MTN (LI) vet I hope he's never watched "Blackhawk down."

-Tom
(My best friend's Dad worked at JPL on the Viking lander and a bunch of other stuff... He didn't get a movie either... Boo hoo)

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10479 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've avoided it for this reason.

I've seen several of the actresses on late night interviews and was left with the impression that the film is simply revisionist history meant to leave the viewer with the belief that without these three mathematicians, who just happen to be women and who just happen to be black, we'd have never gotten into space.

No thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
...well as 10th MTN (LI) vet I hope he's never watched "Blackhawk down."

Big Grin

I got out of the 10th MTN a year or two before Somalia and when I heard that line in the movie I had to chuckle.

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy." Winston Churchill

Posts: 12416 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of roberth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
That's an odd "review" as the reviewer seems more concerned about the lead character's skin color ("All of which is quite a heavy burden to lay on the life story of Hidden Figures’ protagonist, the extremely light-skinned Katherine Johnson. Indeed, when she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, it was hard to tell if she was actually black"... Um, yeah dude) than the movie itself.

IIRC the ladies in question worked on the Mercury Project and had done later work on the Gemini and Apollo project.

The author appears surprised that parts of the movie are fictionalized, well as 10th MTN (LI) vet I hope he's never watched "Blackhawk down."

-Tom
(My best friend's Dad worked at JPL on the Viking lander and a bunch of other stuff... He didn't get a movie either... Boo hoo)

I read the review again and I agree with you about the focus on skin color, unnecessary to say the least.

Posts: 10103 | Location: Westminster, Colorado | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post