SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bullitt is on TCM and the chase scene is upcoming.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullitt is on TCM and the chase scene is upcoming. Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
Still a classic, with one of the GREATEST chase scenes EVER!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I rate it as the best. McQueen did the car nice and heck Ford has released several Bullit models. Rumor is there may be another Bullit Mustang coming up for the 50th anniversary of the movie.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
it is 9:09.

Here we go!!!!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
And just like that, the greatest car chase scene EVER is over at 9:19.

Mustang versus Charger. Game over!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
How many hubcaps came off the Mustang?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
How many hubcaps came off the Mustang?

None, but the Charger lost at least 4 hubcaps!

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Ah, right. But five come off the Charger during the chase and supposedly three come off when it crashes into the gas station.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Once they got out of town that charger would have owned that mustang.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
Once they got out of town that charger would have owned that mustang.

I have often wondered about that.

I suspect the Mustang is a lot lighter and I think it had a 390???

The Charger has to be heavier, but I think it had the 440?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

posted Hide Post
The chase scene, at least the hill sections, is the neighborhood I grew up on.

Every once in awhile, early in the morning, you'd hear a car come crashing down on the pavement, tires screeching, metal bending. You just knew, some idiot from out of town, fired up with something and Bullitt on the brain, just wrecked his car, and probably 4-5 other cars as well. You'd walk out after breakfast and find broken glass, maybe a bumper or, a pissed-off neighbor staring at their banged-up car.

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
Without doubt the best chase sequence ever filmed. McQueen was a badass.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
McQueen was behind the wheel for about 10% of what you see on screen. He drove in scenes that required closeups — but not in the ones that could kill him. Link

As for Mustang vs. Charger:

"The Dodge, which was practically stock, just left the Mustang like you wouldn’t believe.” Ron Riner has similar recollections. “The Charger ran rings around the Mustang." Link

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
The Charger has to be heavier, but I think it had the 440?

426 Hemi. The wheel covers were the giveaway, being different on the Hemi-equipped cars. And yes, it would have walked away from the Mustang. Real horsepower estimates for the Hemi were north of 500, while the Ford 390 was more like 375 or less (my estimate), and the Charger's aerodynamics were more suited to high speed than the Mustang's.

A friend had a 1968 Charger with the 440 Magnum Police Interceptor motor, and it topped out over 150mph with probably no more than 400hp (factory rated at 375 with the 4-bbl).

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9154 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post