SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Going to see Grand Funk Railroad tomorrow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to see Grand Funk Railroad tomorrow Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
I haven't been to a concert in......decades. A few weeks ago I won tickets to see Grand Funk Railroad in a raffle. Anyone seen them recently? How was the show?

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not know they were together.
Is Mark Farner supposed to be with them?

At one time about 10 years ago, I heard he was just walking into bars in Columbus Ohio and playing some guitar, singing and PREACHING GOSPEL?

Not sure about the truth to that.

I saw them before they became Grand Funk RR. They were called Terry Knight(CKLW disc jockey) And the Pack. They were awesome then, playing in a small local club, that got big talent in from time to time.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I don't think Mark Farner is with them (according to what I just read on their website). I think he did reunite with them for a time but not recently.

-----------------------

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lahilljack
posted Hide Post
No, Farner is not with GFR. Don and Mel continued the band with same name-saw them in 2001 and it was a very good show. Had a lead singer that sounded like early Farner. Have seen Mark Farner & his NrG band (think that was the name) twice and he was outstanding. Last time was probably about 2004-5.

Mike

Posts: 692 | Location: Adams County, Ohio | Registered: June 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I hope you don't have to travel far and that it's close to home. Wink

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw them in February 1970. They were louder than any band I have ever seen. The folks who sat up front left shortly after the show started. I was in the nosebleed seats in the back and the seats vibrated. Good show.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Well? Were they some kind of wonderful?

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Well? Were they some kind of wonderful?

Ha!

I thought it was a good show. My wife and I enjoyed it. I thought it would go a bit longer than it did, but we're all getting older. We had a great night out.

-----------------------

posted Hide Post
Glad you went even though no Farner.

We went to see CCR Revisited a while back, the earlier version.

I did not think it would be good without John, but it was really good.
They had a lead singer that sounded like the original.
They also had the left handed EX CARS guitar player who is an awesome guitarist. Elliot Easton, I think was his name.

I also saw Kansas, without Kerry Livgren and they were fantastic also. This was years ago also.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post