SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Jimmy Stewart Movies-- Evolving Discussion From A Karma
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jimmy Stewart Movies-- Evolving Discussion From A Karma Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I enjoyed Flight of the Phoenix. Especially since Stewart was a real deal pilot. His work with Hichcock was excellent too.

Yes! I forgot Rear Window. What a great flick!

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6037 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
quote:
I enjoyed Flight of the Phoenix. Especially since Stewart was a real deal pilot. His work with Hichcock was excellent too.

Yes! I forgot Rear Window. What a great flick!

Only ruined by Grace kelly

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

The movie was about the character played by Jimmy taking his family on a beach vacation. They were renting a house for the Summer.

Mr. Hobbs takes a vacation

Thanks. Thats the closest I could come to finding which movie it was on IMDB, although from the description I couldn't be sure.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
In addition to all his Hitchcock films, especially Rear Window, I've always been partial to Winchester '73 and Flight of the Phoenix...BUT my favorites are It's a Wonderful Life and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. It always strikes me just how realistic the political tactics are in Mr. Smith, and just how relevant they are to present day politics.

Reading through some of the movies mentioned I'm starting to realize just how many Jimmy Stewart movies I haven't seen though and need to add to the list.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Big JS fan. Dislike his parts in Of Human Hearts, and After the Thin Man.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I felt that Grace Kelly was better the less she spoke.Good looking girl, though, especially in that polka dot dress in rear window.

posted Hide Post
Jimmy fan here as well.
My favorite may well be "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".
That was a bonus because of Lee Marvin and John Wayne.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stewart appeared in The Shootist as a favor to John Wayne, despite having a severe hearing loss that made things difficult on the set.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That was a really nice Cameo.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stewart appeared in The Shootist as a favor to John Wayne, despite having a severe hearing loss that made things difficult on the set.

Agreed. Stewart's appearance in an already great movie made it that much better. A true gem that I finished re-watching only a couple months ago.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Watched "The Greatest Show on Earth" and "Anatomy of a Murder" tonight.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Anatomy of a Murder was filmed in the Yoop and based on an actual killing that took place in Big Bay.
The Lumberjack Tavern is where the shooting took place and is still in business. Last time I went there I wanted a Cheeseburger. The waitress made a phone call and a few minutes later, the cook walked over from home and took care of it.
Welcome to Big Bay!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Wow, two pages and nobody has said "Rear Window".

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Wow, two pages and nobody has said "Rear Window".

Top of page 2 though I agree it took that long.

Between that and his radio show "The Six-Shooter"...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Anyone mention "Strategic Air Command" yet? B-36 footage is the shiznit!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Stewart has been the Star of the Month on TMC. There are still a lot of his movies on the schedule here for the rest of November.

My favorite movie of Stewart's is "The Shop Around the Corner."

"The Mortal Storm" is another I like, even though I admit it's not a very good movie. It's about a family in the German Alps torn apart as the Nazis rise to power. Both Margaret Sullavan and Frank Morgan, who were in the Shop Around the Corner, are in it. Besides, it's oddly entertaining to see Robert Young as an enthusiastic young Nazi.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Unlucky number 1. Jimmy is my favorite actor by far.
Thanks for the chance.

qxsoup - with mrmn50's blessing, I'd like to forward the DVDs on to you. My husband copied them off to our media server and it would be a shame for them to just lay around when I know someone else would enjoy them, too.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
quote:
Originally posted by qxsoup:
Unlucky number 1. Jimmy is my favorite actor by far.
Thanks for the chance.

qxsoup - with mrmn50's blessing, I'd like to forward the DVDs on to you. My husband copied them off to our media server and it would be a shame for them to just lay around when I know someone else would enjoy them, too.

He may not be following the thread any longer. You may want to email him.
Nice gesture.

Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Winchester '73.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post