SIGforum
Stop Avoiding the Subject, We All Know It Came Out. The Dark Tower Trailer

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3510072424

May 15, 2017, 10:17 AM
WesleyDelArma
Stop Avoiding the Subject, We All Know It Came Out. The Dark Tower Trailer
I won't imbed a link to the trailer. I refuse.

Discuss.............?
May 15, 2017, 10:20 AM
airsoft guy
Looks pretty tasty, I think.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
May 15, 2017, 10:32 AM
parabellum
Never heard of it

What's a Tower Trailer and why is it dark?

Sounds like some kind of construction gadget.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
May 15, 2017, 10:42 AM
Orguss
Embedding a video isn't a requirement. Just post the link.

https://youtu.be/GjwfqXTebIY

I do like the Easter Egg showing the hotel from The Shining in the psychiatrist's office.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
May 15, 2017, 10:47 AM
parabellum
What's it do?
May 15, 2017, 11:01 AM
AllenInAR
I think it looks like someone REALLY liked "Wanted" and wanted a sequel.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV
May 15, 2017, 11:28 AM
Lord Vaalic
Isn't that the watch music from "For a Few Dollars More?"

I never read the books, I was never a Stephen King fan

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
May 15, 2017, 11:40 AM
parabellum
Soooo confused
May 15, 2017, 12:04 PM
henryarnaud
I think I started the first book several years ago, can't remember if I finished it or not. I'll probably watch it when it comes out. Debating on whether or not I should try reading the series before watching the movie.

Also, I want to be able to reload a revolver like that.

http://www.range365.com/guns-stephen-kings-dark-tower

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
May 15, 2017, 12:57 PM
Fenris
In an obvious homage to LBJ, the music is from For a Few Dollars More pocket watch.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.
May 15, 2017, 12:59 PM
Georgeair
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
I think I started the first book several years ago, can't remember if I finished it or not. I'll probably watch it when it comes out. Debating on whether or not I should try reading the series before watching the movie.

Also, I want to be able to reload a revolver like that.

http://www.range365.com/guns-stephen-kings-dark-tower

If you finished it, you'd remember. Trust me.

It's a great read, though some of the books in middle are a little slow. I particularly like that SK chastises himself IN the story for having not carried the work to completion for so long. They came out over 22 years and as one of many Faithful Readers it was incredibly frustrating at time.

Almost immediately after finishing book 7 I knew I had to go back and start over. For some reason the end of story struck me as one of the saddest endings in any fiction I'd ever read.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

May 15, 2017, 01:04 PM
Ryanp225
I read the first three books about 18 years ago and I really liked them.
I always pictured the Gunslinger as a crustier, broken down Raylan Givens.
May 15, 2017, 01:08 PM
jmalb
Hey, SK told you not to read it to the end. Big Grin

I thought it was a pretty messed up ending as well.

The trailer looks like they are just taking the main idea of the books and going its own way with it. Not sure how I feel about it.
May 15, 2017, 01:58 PM
copaup
Possible minor spoilers follow.

The movies happen AFTER the books. The books weren't Roland's first trip around the Wheel. The movies will be his last. IF (and it's a big if) they can pull this off and bring real closure to what is the lynchpin of all King's work it will be very impressive. I'm willing to accept Roland no longer looking like Clint Eastwood in exchange for that.
May 15, 2017, 03:40 PM
Paragon
I suffered for that series, too. Was really disappointed by the ending.

When did Roland become black? Was he always?

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
May 15, 2017, 04:21 PM
OneWheelDrive
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
I suffered for that series, too. Was really disappointed by the ending.

When did Roland become black? Was he always?

As I recall, Roland was a cross between King and Eastwood.

I wonder if they will make Susannah/Odetta white?

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."
May 16, 2017, 06:56 AM
WesleyDelArma
One morning Stephen King work up, painted himself in blackface and started eating his own novels while doing a serpent-like slithering dance around a film canister.

He was bellowing words both profane and true in a thick and mostly affected New England accent.

"Awwww naaaaah Maaaathaaaaa dis gaaaahnaaah be a gooooooood unnnnnnnnn!"

At this point Martha would add the necessary catalyst to maximize King's creative process: Fiber and sugar free Gummi Bears.

King continued his dancing and eating while the magic of creation occurred in his small intestine and colon. Then with a screech of unintelligible gibberish (still in a thick and largely affected North Eastern accent) he gave assbirth to this work of art as he squatted over the film canister.

The studio executives that were gathered to witness this ritual each immediately murdered a Pegasus to seal the bond of creation, and stooped to lick the new film clean and claim it for their own studio.

One producer with a disgusting and long tongue wrapped his fleshy wet mouthmeat around the canister and ran off with it to his studio that he may post it online.

Stephen King yelled after him "Yaaah kaaaah caaaaaaah faaaah daaaah yaaaaah!". He then farted a great loud and damp fart and passed out from the rigors of birth.

That said, I may still go see it.
May 16, 2017, 07:13 AM
airsoft guy
quote:
Originally posted by WesleyDelArma:
One morning Stephen King work up, painted himself in blackface and started eating his own novels while doing a serpent-like slithering dance around a film canister.

He was bellowing words both profane and true in a thick and mostly affected New England accent.

"Awwww naaaaah Maaaathaaaaa dis gaaaahnaaah be a gooooooood unnnnnnnnn!"

At this point Martha would add the necessary catalyst to maximize King's creative process: Fiber and sugar free Gummi Bears.

King continued his dancing and eating while the magic of creation occurred in his small intestine and colon. Then with a screech of unintelligible gibberish (still in a thick and largely affected North Eastern accent) he gave assbirth to this work of art as he squatted over the film canister.

The studio executives that were gathered to witness this ritual each immediately murdered a Pegasus to seal the bond of creation, and stooped to lick the new film clean and claim it for their own studio.

One producer with a disgusting and long tongue wrapped his fleshy wet mouthmeat around the canister and ran off with it to his studio that he may post it online.

Stephen King yelled after him "Yaaah kaaaah caaaaaaah faaaah daaaah yaaaaah!". He then farted a great loud and damp fart and passed out from the rigors of birth.

That said, I may still go see it.

So, better than Maximum Overdrive?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
May 16, 2017, 07:30 AM
WesleyDelArma
It can't be better than Maximum Overdrive because it featured music from the Brian Johnson fronted AC-DC cover band that also happens to call itself AC-DC.

Now if they were to include "Who Made Who?" in the Dark Tower soundtrack it would be a film on the level of greatness of Zardoz.

Stephen King himself would say "Yaaaahhh daazaaaaah raaaah maaaahh waaaaaas!"
May 16, 2017, 10:45 AM
Leemur
I read the books. After getting halfway through I felt I had to finish the series. Overall I hated it. The first book and Wizard and Glass were good. I'll watch the movie eventually.