SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    OMG but the Syfy channel is REALLY terrible!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OMG but the Syfy channel is REALLY terrible! Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
Been home for a week under the weather...So watching too much TV. I seldom watch a lot and this week has been an education.

Good Lord but HOW does Syfy turn out the TERRIBLE stuff they produce and show? Watched part of some Shark movie last night. It was senseless. It's as if they don't even TRY for continuity or any semblance of reality.

Currently, on Christmas Day they are showing an end of the world Scenario, called the "12 Disasters of Christmas".

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
It's as if they don't even TRY for continuity or any semblance of reality.

They don't. They're intentionally trying to capture the spirit and feel of schlocky cheapo B-movies. A lot of people seem to like these SYFY movies.

I don't care for them because true schlocky b-movies are trying to be sincere and tell a story, they're just inept at doing so and usually lack the budget to look competent. SYFY movies are TRYING to be that way, so they feel really fake and forced.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Exactly!

I was going to mention, I love the old 50's 60's B movies, Drive-In Specials....but these are simply....terrible.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I remember when they first started out. They showed all the really obscure sci-fi from the 50’s and 60’s. The Godzilla movies were top notch for them back then.
I wanna say their first “Christmas special” was something like “Santa vs the Martians”.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
El Rey currently playing kaiju, Godzilla movies.

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Don't be dissing the Sharknado movies.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:...SYFY movies are TRYING to be that way, so they feel really fake and forced.

Reality SciFi.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Hard to believe this is the same network that gave us the Battlstar Galactica reboot.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
Hard to believe this is the same network that gave us the Battlstar Galactica reboot.

But when you remember how they ended BSG, it all makes sense.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Bring back Mystery Science Theater.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Netflix.
You can browse by category aka sci-fi and try a few minutes (or watch the trailers) then bail if you don't like it.
It sure beats complaining about it. Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

It sure beats complaining about it. Eek

So sorry if my post was a COMPLAINT to You. Merry Christmas to You too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

It ended fine

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Bring back Mystery Science Theater.

It's already back

http://www.mst3k.com

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

I liked both the Original BSG and the reboot BSG and had no problem with the ending of the reboot BSG. I actually thought it was well done. God Bless Smile

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
when I first heard of SciFi, they were playing some vintage shows and movies,

UFO being one of them,

I planned several days of a Nags Head vacation around the time they aired UFO, since I had not seen it since I was a kid, and I had no access to the internet, (not sure al gore had invented that yet)

about a year or so later, I was able to get cable in my area, signed up, got sci fi and no more UFO,,

steadily down hill since, so much so I am not ever sure what channel number it is now,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
If you get a chance check out the Expanse

I would argue it may be the best sci-fi tv show since firefly (and that includes the new BSG, which I, for the most part, loved)

I can’t wait for the expanse season 3

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

I would argue it may be the best sci-fi tv show since firefly (and that includes the new BSG, which I, for the most part, loved)

I wholeheartedly agree. They've had some other very good series in the past couple of years, too - which they canceled for apparently no reason (e.g. Dark Matter and Killjoys). It seemed they were making an effort to return to better quality - as when they were the SciFi Channel and not SyFy.

However, their movies have been so campy (though intentionally so), that I refuse to brain damage myself by trying to watch them.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphman:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

I wholeheartedly agree. They've had some other very good series in the past couple of years, too - which they canceled for apparently no reason (e.g. Dark Matter and Killjoys). It seemed they were making an effort to return to better quality - as when they were the SciFi Channel and not SyFy.

However, their movies have been so campy (though intentionally so), that I refuse to brain damage myself by trying to watch them.

The Expanse makes all the schlocky stuff worthwhile!! Let the junk pay the bills, if they keep renewing The Expanse!!

It's exceptional.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post