SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Big, hefty G Shock opinions?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big, hefty G Shock opinions? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I'm looking for a big GShock. I have a nice Atomic Solar model, 2688, that's great but getting worn out.

I'd like something with good illumination, and auto illumination would be great. Battery or solar and doesn't need to be atomic. Budget of $150 or so.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got the 3230, it's battery powered and has been rock solid for the past 5 years or some. The backlight is plenty bright. It's more basic than you are used to with when it comes to features.

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
about $30 more but Rangeman

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Dang, the G Shock has gotten 'spensive on me these days!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
about $30 more but Rangeman

Get the rangeman! Very pleased.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A GG1000 is enormous and has a back light, but will cost a bit more than your projected max ($180-$200).

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Have had a few different G Shocks over the years. Currently own the Solar Atomic Frogman and the Solar Atomic Rangeman.

Love both, you can probably find the Rangeman for around $200 or so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a GA-100 it is huge.
You want illumination so do not waste your time the illumination on this thing is worthless. Should have tested that before buying.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Agree with Black, I love everything about my GA-100, except the lighting. Big disappointment.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump. I tried a AWGM100B-1A but it's too dark on the face and the light isn't that great. I have a GW-500a that I really like but it's 10yrs old and survived Iraq with me, so it's time to retire it.

I'm looking for a little larger and good illumination.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Casio Pathfinders are big and hefty, and can be found for just over $150. (They're basically slightly fancier G-Shocks with a few extra features.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another suggestion: GA-400 series. Huge in size and somewhat less expansive than your max (around $100). It has some functions and a backlight (don't know how bright).

If it is huge you favor, the Mudmaster 1000 or Gravitymaster 1000 surpass all, but cost more.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post