SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - Most realistic ever
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - Most realistic ever Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Would Phoscheck drop in a Forrest fire work ?
Or crop duster sim?

These aren't really simulators. Computer games, but definitely not simulators.

Replicating fire drops isn't possible. Whatever someone puts on a laptop won't come close. Or ag work, either.

Simuflite, I think, has a sim for the Air Tractor 802, but it's only real value is engine starts and malfunctions. Outside of that, there's only one place to learn it, see it, or do it, and that's in the cockpit.

The National Aerial Firefighting Academy is held in Sacramento each year, and features a room of "simulators" that are set up to feature generic lead aircraft, air attack platforms, helicopters, single engine air tankers, or heavy air tankers; each has the graphics and a non-motion cockpit to sit in, and all are linked to a joint software so that numerous aircraft can show up at a fire simulation. Everyone is linked in on headsets to communicate, and the entire simulation starts with a fire dispatch, all the way out to entering the fire traffic area, the drop, and the load and return at to the tanker base. Each cockpit has yokes, sticks, throttles, power levers, collectives, cyclics, etc. And multiple screens with graphics.

It isn't remotely close to realistic. More of a communication exercise. Mindbending graphics wouldn't make it more realistic, either.

If you want to simulate that, put on clothes over clothes, heavy boots, gloves, and a helmet and pick a good 120 degree day. Sit in your car with no windowshades, roll up the windows, and give it an hour or so to get the feel. Then drive it off a cliff into a fire with more energy than an atomic bomb. It's a start.

Red bird has an Air Tractor sim at their facility in Texas near Austin. It flew pretty well. Had lots of GPS toos I had no clue how to use. But I imagine with a good instructor and a few hours of time, and you would have that all dialed in.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
So the release of this sim has really pushed yoke, throttle, and rudder sales.

I have a yoke and rudder, but I can't find a reasonably priced throttle quadrant in stock right now.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What about a combat version? MS Combat Flight Simulator 98 was the first PC video game I purchased. Man, I loved that thing.

That one won't drop until Fall '20. It's tentatively named "MS Flight Simulator 2020, Detroit Edition." I hear it comes with full auto mode for high speed fly-by's.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Would this be easily playable with an Xbox controller or would even a basic fighter type stick make a significant difference in game play? I'd be up for the most budget add-ons, not some $150+ set.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've seen some of the YouTubers that got pre-release copies using controllers. I personally can't use a controller and would first use keyboard/mouse at a minimum and then HOTAS if I could afford one.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick is available locally for $59. I think that's about as good as it gets for a budget controller.

EDIT - the 90+GB installed this morning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
First flight from KGTF to KHVR. Didn't kill myself on the first landing, but had 1 hop. I REALLY need to find a throttle.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
First flight from KGTF to KHVR. Didn't kill myself on the first landing, but had 1 hop. I REALLY need to find a throttle.

Pretty sure my training landing should have been a crash. My controller has a dozen hidden buttons that I can never find and changing views has been difficult.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
If anybody would like to add me as a friend so we can compare challenge scores my handle is FratricidJak.

They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
necro-threading.

About 80% done downloading the 40th Anniversary patch. A lot of new content, and I'm sure there will be a lot more to add once the patch is in.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Any fighters or bombers? Is this thing open-source? I guess not, huh?

What's the point of flying around if you can't shoot shit and blow it up?

Posts: 107570 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm with you. If you want even worse. There's a Truck Driving Simulator. Where you just drive a 18 wheeler from point A to Point B.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thats DCS now…
Check out the “Grim reapers” youttube channel for some really fun combat simulation scenarios. These guys put alot of work into it.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
There's a Truck Driving Simulator. Where you just drive a 18 wheeler from point A to Point B.
No zombies what to run over?

Is there at least oncoming traffic you can plow into? Big Grin

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Maybe a crowded bus stop or two?

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like that I can take off from the private airport near my house, fly around my own neighborhood and my favorite spots on the lake, and sometimes manage to land where I’m supposed to using different planes.