SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movies before the actors were major stars
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies before the actors were major stars Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post

Oh, wait. You said "major".

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Some early TV shows have also been mentioned, so I'll chime in with one I recall, William Shatner in the Twilight Zone episode Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. Certainly not his earliest performance, either. His filmography mentions an early role (1954) as Ranger Bob on the Canadian Howdy Doody Show.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Some early TV shows have also been mentioned, so I'll chime in with one I recall, William Shatner in the Twilight Zone episode Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. Certainly not his earliest performance, either. His filmography mentions an early role (1954) as Ranger Bob on the Canadian Howdy Doody Show.

Last week a saw Shatner in Twilight Zone - they were using a prediction machine mounted on the table in a diner to predict the future...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The Twilight Zone reads as a Who's Who of early/pre-stardom. Just this morning I watched an episode, "He's Alive" starring Dennis Hopper.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
The Godfather was the first big role for Al Pacino, Diane Keaton and Talia Shire. Godfather 2 really launched the career of Robert Deniro.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Sands of Iwo Jima - Martin Milner.
Later one of the leads in Adam 12.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Major League (1989)

Rene Russo's fist role.
One of Wesley Snipes' early roles.
Also Dennis Haysbert's third film role.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
Bonnie and Clyde. Gene Wilder had a small part. Funny, classic Gene Wilder, right from the start of his career.

Posts: 540 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ss9961:
Bonnie and Clyde. Gene Wilder had a small part. Funny, classic Gene Wilder, right from the start of his career.

IIRC, Gene Hackman also had a small role.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liam Neeson was in The Bounty with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins

it was one of his first films IIRC

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Excalibur

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Jhe888 beat me to the James Earl Jones/Dr. Strangelove reference.

Humphrey Bogart in High Sierra, also staring Ida Lupino and Bogie's dog 'Zero'. This was the film that got his career moving. (Lupino got top billing.)

It's an excellent movie; see it if you get a chance.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
"What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" featured Leonardo DiCaprio in his first major role. A very young Johnny Depp had the lead. DiCaprio played a severely autistic teenager-- played the role brilliantly.

(I just double checked DuckDuckGo, and "This Boy's Life" in 1993 was first, with "Gilbert Grape" following in 1994. In "This Boy's Life," DiCaprio played opposite DiNero. "This Boy's Life" is an excellent book, but a weak movie. "Gilbert Grape" is a powerful movie.

Anyway, let the record be corrected.)

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Johnny Depp was in the original Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Kevin Costner was the corpse in The Big Chill. He had speaking lines in the script, some of which were filmed, but they were all cut.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff Bridges in Fat City and The Last Picture Show. Both good films.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Susan Sarandon and Brian Bostwick in Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
I'm more of a Fast times at Ridgemont High/Dazed and Confused crowd, but didn't American Graffiti launch a few careers?

Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It (he did at least one before this but wasn't huge yet)

Also - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest has a handful of actors before they were big.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
The Lost Boys. One of the first times I remember seeing Kiefer Sutherland on the big screen.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Val Kilmer in Top Secret.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Empire Records - Liv Tyler and Rene Zellweger

Stand By Me - Keifer Sutherland, Wil Wheaton, Corey Feldman, Jerry O’Connell and River Phoenix

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post