SIGforum
Movies before the actors were major stars

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3490084554

April 14, 2019, 09:06 AM
flesheatingvirus
Movies before the actors were major stars

Oh, wait. You said "major".

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
April 14, 2019, 10:59 AM
henryaz

Some early TV shows have also been mentioned, so I'll chime in with one I recall, William Shatner in the Twilight Zone episode Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. Certainly not his earliest performance, either. His filmography mentions an early role (1954) as Ranger Bob on the Canadian Howdy Doody Show.

When in doubt, mumble
April 15, 2019, 07:42 AM
SBrooks
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Some early TV shows have also been mentioned, so I'll chime in with one I recall, William Shatner in the Twilight Zone episode Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. Certainly not his earliest performance, either. His filmography mentions an early role (1954) as Ranger Bob on the Canadian Howdy Doody Show.

Last week a saw Shatner in Twilight Zone - they were using a prediction machine mounted on the table in a diner to predict the future...

------------------
SBrooks
April 15, 2019, 07:47 AM
fpuhan
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The Twilight Zone reads as a Who's Who of early/pre-stardom. Just this morning I watched an episode, "He's Alive" starring Dennis Hopper.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
April 15, 2019, 09:09 AM
Green Highlander
The Godfather was the first big role for Al Pacino, Diane Keaton and Talia Shire. Godfather 2 really launched the career of Robert Deniro.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")
April 15, 2019, 10:04 AM
rtquig
Sands of Iwo Jima - Martin Milner.
Later one of the leads in Adam 12.

Living the Dream
April 20, 2019, 03:44 AM
f2
Major League (1989)

Rene Russo's fist role.
One of Wesley Snipes' early roles.
Also Dennis Haysbert's third film role.
April 20, 2019, 07:45 AM
ss9961
Bonnie and Clyde. Gene Wilder had a small part. Funny, classic Gene Wilder, right from the start of his career.
April 20, 2019, 08:10 AM
Sigmund
quote:
Originally posted by ss9961:
Bonnie and Clyde. Gene Wilder had a small part. Funny, classic Gene Wilder, right from the start of his career.

IIRC, Gene Hackman also had a small role.
April 20, 2019, 09:12 AM
Sig209
Liam Neeson was in The Bounty with Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins

it was one of his first films IIRC

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
April 20, 2019, 10:42 AM
k5blazer
Excalibur
April 20, 2019, 11:24 AM
Jim Shugart
Jhe888 beat me to the James Earl Jones/Dr. Strangelove reference.

Humphrey Bogart in High Sierra, also staring Ida Lupino and Bogie's dog 'Zero'. This was the film that got his career moving. (Lupino got top billing.)

It's an excellent movie; see it if you get a chance.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
April 21, 2019, 07:32 AM
justjoe
"What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" featured Leonardo DiCaprio in his first major role. A very young Johnny Depp had the lead. DiCaprio played a severely autistic teenager-- played the role brilliantly.

(I just double checked DuckDuckGo, and "This Boy's Life" in 1993 was first, with "Gilbert Grape" following in 1994. In "This Boy's Life," DiCaprio played opposite DiNero. "This Boy's Life" is an excellent book, but a weak movie. "Gilbert Grape" is a powerful movie.

Anyway, let the record be corrected.)

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."
April 22, 2019, 05:15 PM
Chance
Johnny Depp was in the original Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Kevin Costner was the corpse in The Big Chill. He had speaking lines in the script, some of which were filmed, but they were all cut.
April 22, 2019, 05:21 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Jeff Bridges in Fat City and The Last Picture Show. Both good films.
April 22, 2019, 06:57 PM
LS1 GTO
Susan Sarandon and Brian Bostwick in Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

April 22, 2019, 07:14 PM
DonDraper
I'm more of a Fast times at Ridgemont High/Dazed and Confused crowd, but didn't American Graffiti launch a few careers?

Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It (he did at least one before this but wasn't huge yet)

Also - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest has a handful of actors before they were big.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks
April 22, 2019, 07:34 PM
mdblanton
The Lost Boys. One of the first times I remember seeing Kiefer Sutherland on the big screen.

Michael
April 23, 2019, 06:10 AM
Floyd D. Barber
Val Kilmer in Top Secret.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

April 23, 2019, 06:23 AM
Oz_Shadow
Empire Records - Liv Tyler and Rene Zellweger

Stand By Me - Keifer Sutherland, Wil Wheaton, Corey Feldman, Jerry O’Connell and River Phoenix