SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Chuck Conners, James arness, Don Johnson,
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chuck Conners, James arness, Don Johnson, Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere McQueen used to actually practice/target shoot with his Mare's leg (it shot 44-40 ammo) and he was quite proficient with it.

Posts: 306 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5100 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Begs an interesting question - who are real gun guys in Hollywood?

Joe Montegna, for one. Who else?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom Cruise. At least in Collateral.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scott Glenn looked pretty proficient with his SAA in Silverado.
And Sellecks GunSite 1911 in the Jesse Stone movies would indicate he is the real deal.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

Of course Charlton Heston's name is the obvious one. In his autobiography, Heston mentioned an enormous firearms collection belonging to none other than Steven Spielberg. Introduced to the shotgun world by John Milius, Spielberg is apparently no slouch in skeet shooting according to actor Robert Stack, who was an excellent shooter. Rumor has it that Spielberg has every sort of firearm in his collection, but I doubt any publicity will get out out since the guy is a liberal Democrat.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Four months shy of his 21st birthday, James King Aurness of Minneapolis, Minn., was waiting anxiously with fellow soldiers, standing on one of the U.S. Army’s WWII landing barges of the U.S. 3rd Army Infantry Division on January 22, 1944 as it forged its way to shore. They were heading to the beach at Anzio, where they faced immediate, horrendous, German Army resistance. Because Jim was 6-foot-7-inches tall, this young Army Private was ordered into the water first, determining its depth for the others. In his autobiography, Jim described it as being “waist high” as he stormed ashore dodging bullets and wounded men falling around him.

Anzio, located 30 miles south of Rome, was one of the deadliest battles of WWII. Anzio Beach was a stretch of sand 15 miles long and 7 miles deep. The infamous battle of Anzio lasted from January 22, 1944 to May 29, 1944. The British 1st Infantry Division landed north of Anzio. The 6615th Ranger Force attacked the port, while the 3rd Army Infantry Division landed south of town. By midnight, history books say that “36,000 men landed, securing a beachhead 2-3 miles deep.”

Seriously wounded in the assault by German machine-gun fire in his knee and lower leg, Jim earned the Bronze Star and Purple Heart for bravery under fire. It took 18 months recovery and rehabilitation time in military hospitals before being honorably discharged and sent home.

Jim, like thousands of other WWII veterans, enrolled in college, using the GI Bill benefits to get his education. A graduate of Beloit College in Beloit, Wis., he got a job at WLOL in Minneapolis in 1945. Later, he headed to California, trying to break into the movie business as a stuntman or actor. He dropped the “u” in his family name and became James Arness. With his good looks, good voice, education and radio experience, he landed a film part in 1947, playing the role of Loretta Young’s brother.

https://www.thefencepost.com/n...anzio-beach-in-wwii/

Slight thread drift:

He recuperated from his wounds at the Schick Army Hospital in Clinton IA, about 45 minutes north of me.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

Keanu Reeves has done real three gun training. Check out either of his John Wick movies. He also done some serious BJJ training as well.

EDIT: This video shows Keanu training in BJJ with the Machados and his three gun training with Taran Butler. The BJJ training begins at about the 2:59 mark. The three gun begins at about 8:00 mark. This is really good stuff. Reeves is impressive.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Clint Eastwood showing some serious fast draw skills here:

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
McQueen looks like he’s on the same set that they staged the moon landings on.

Got a kick out of that.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I don't understand this comment

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
Steve McQueen's name was found on a Charles Manson hit list. He started getting really serious about guns after that. The story goes that he was supposed to be at the dinner party where Sharon Tate was killed but hooked up with a hot girl and blew off the dinner party.

He also studied with Bruce Lee.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGk2WZHKqFA

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
watching McQueen in "The Sand Pebbles" you can see his comfort level and familiarity with handling weapons.

Whatcha mean, you haven't watched it?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

I hope this answers bendable's question. He is certainly proficient in this movie, but do not know about him in daily life.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The coup de gras shot by Cruise was a nice touch.
Socially unacceptable, but still nice to see.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
turns out that there is an actor called Sterling Hayden that was in a crap load of gun movies,
he was also in the armed forces.
there is an article in this months American Rifleman magazine

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Sterling Haden played General Ripper in Strangelove. He was the one that pulled the machine gun out of the golf bag.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I don't understand this comment

He trained with Michael Mann for that movie. Actually I should have said he trained with Mick Gould formerly of the British SAS FOR Michael Mann.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post