SIGforum
Chuck Conners, James arness, Don Johnson,

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3480089634

January 30, 2018, 12:18 PM
bendable
Chuck Conners, James arness, Don Johnson,
Steve MC queen, John Wayne, Audie Murphy, any of them .
Do you suppose any one of them at any time ever tried to hit anything at all with a real firearm ?

did any of them spend more than 45 minutes on a target range?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
January 30, 2018, 12:30 PM
SFCUSARET
Well, Audie Murphy did since he killed a bunch of germans during WWII. Awarded the Medal of Honor too .

January 30, 2018, 12:33 PM
Kuisis
Maybe Audie Murphy.
http://www.audiemurphy.com/decorations001.htm
January 30, 2018, 12:37 PM
Opus Dei
FFS..Audie Murphy???????

I'm aware John Wayne owned many guns, hunted often and was friends with Roy Weatherby, of the eponymous rifle company.
January 30, 2018, 12:48 PM
Ripley
Hey, this is entertainment. The same people who led us to believe Rock Hudson and Montgomery Clift plowed through women.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.
January 30, 2018, 12:49 PM
YooperSigs
I cant say if Wayne was a great shot, but his draw and fire in the True Grit dugout scene would indicate he was pretty good with an SAA.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
January 30, 2018, 01:34 PM
kkina
Steve and his first wife target practicing...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
January 30, 2018, 02:06 PM
olfuzzy
Four months shy of his 21st birthday, James King Aurness of Minneapolis, Minn., was waiting anxiously with fellow soldiers, standing on one of the U.S. Army’s WWII landing barges of the U.S. 3rd Army Infantry Division on January 22, 1944 as it forged its way to shore. They were heading to the beach at Anzio, where they faced immediate, horrendous, German Army resistance. Because Jim was 6-foot-7-inches tall, this young Army Private was ordered into the water first, determining its depth for the others. In his autobiography, Jim described it as being “waist high” as he stormed ashore dodging bullets and wounded men falling around him.

Anzio, located 30 miles south of Rome, was one of the deadliest battles of WWII. Anzio Beach was a stretch of sand 15 miles long and 7 miles deep. The infamous battle of Anzio lasted from January 22, 1944 to May 29, 1944. The British 1st Infantry Division landed north of Anzio. The 6615th Ranger Force attacked the port, while the 3rd Army Infantry Division landed south of town. By midnight, history books say that “36,000 men landed, securing a beachhead 2-3 miles deep.”

Seriously wounded in the assault by German machine-gun fire in his knee and lower leg, Jim earned the Bronze Star and Purple Heart for bravery under fire. It took 18 months recovery and rehabilitation time in military hospitals before being honorably discharged and sent home.

Jim, like thousands of other WWII veterans, enrolled in college, using the GI Bill benefits to get his education. A graduate of Beloit College in Beloit, Wis., he got a job at WLOL in Minneapolis in 1945. Later, he headed to California, trying to break into the movie business as a stuntman or actor. He dropped the “u” in his family name and became James Arness. With his good looks, good voice, education and radio experience, he landed a film part in 1947, playing the role of Loretta Young’s brother.

https://www.thefencepost.com/n...anzio-beach-in-wwii/
January 30, 2018, 05:16 PM
lastmanstanding
James Arness and Peter Graves are brothers. Peter Graves would stay at one of the nicer lake resorts near Ely Minn. I use to deliver Fed Ex to that resort and ran into him and his wife several times. Very nice people.

I don't know if chuck Connors could actually shoot but he was the first NBA player to shatter a backboard. Also played pro baseball. I'm guessing he knew how to handle a gun.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
January 30, 2018, 05:39 PM
rat2306
Steve McQueen was also a Marine in his youth.
January 30, 2018, 06:01 PM
Opus Dei
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I don't know if chuck Connors could actually shoot but he was the first NBA player to shatter a backboard. Also played pro baseball. I'm guessing he knew how to handle a gun.
I looked up his biography and it seems he was in the Army in WW II and did most of his time at Fort Campbell as a tank instructor.
January 30, 2018, 07:54 PM
Kevbo
I’ve read accounts of Don Johnson actually learning how to shoot and handle his Bren Ten for Miami Vice.

Michael Mann was big into authenticity in his firearms handling...one of the more famous scenes from season 1 of the show involving a hitman drawing and killing a guy involved a professional shooter playing the hitman

I know dornhaus and Dixon were obviously involved with Gunsite, but I seem to remember Johnson going through there too...can’t remember where I saw it though...I did a bunch of research before I bought a Bren Ten once upon a time and pretty sure that’s where I came across that

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?
January 30, 2018, 11:48 PM
apprentice
That pic almost has too much win for reality. Cool
Talk about using what's available for stability, and check Steve's feet flat on the ground with legs flexed like that. Eek It is a testament to flexibility and fitness that few of us can replicate - I know I can't.

quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Steve and his first wife target practicing...

January 31, 2018, 07:46 AM
tartan427
Back in 1981, I went thru API 250 at Gunsite Ranch (the Jeff Cooper, Clint Smith et al era). One of the students in my class was the actor Marjoe Gortner. Unlike the rest of us who stayed in cheap hotels near Prescott, he and a girlfriend lived in a very nice travel trailer parked on the ranch property. We were sort of surprised he was there (had the impression that "Hollywood types" were not gun people). Turned out he was interested, and wanted to have some serious skills that would be portrayed on the screen. I don't know if he ever got that chance, but he certainly seemed serious about the class.
January 31, 2018, 09:22 AM
kkina
quote:
I don't know if he ever got that chance

He did...played a gunfighter in The Gun and the Pulpit. Also a crazy survivalist in Earthquake.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
January 31, 2018, 09:41 AM
sigspecops
McQueen looks like he’s on the same set that they staged the moon landings on.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
January 31, 2018, 09:51 AM
newtoSig765
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
...check Steve's feet flat on the ground with legs flexed like that. Eek It is a testament to flexibility and fitness that few of us can replicate...

Yeah, I guess McQueen can squat. All I see is Neile Adams. Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18
January 31, 2018, 02:56 PM
bendable
I hope thats a .22 that she is shooting

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
January 31, 2018, 03:14 PM
clubleaf206
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I hope thats a .22 that she is shooting

Even then, the way she is holding it, that revolver is going to leave a mark, when it flips back and clobbers her between the eyes.

January 31, 2018, 07:17 PM
Blackmore
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:

Michael Mann was big into authenticity in his firearms handling...one of the more famous scenes from season 1 of the show involving a hitman drawing and killing a guy involved a professional shooter playing the hitman

Jim Zubiena

One of my favorite MV scenes. Also love Tubbs" "beat it punks" scene.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act