Tools

The Dark Tower Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmalb:
Was he mad because he didn't follow the author's advice and actually read it to the end? If so it's your brother's fault. He was warned like the rest of us. Wink

I'm confused. Did King actually say his end was crap and not to read it?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I liked the first book and Wizard and Glass. The rest really sucked. The junkie and the amputee psychotic chick ruined most of it for me. I actually liked the ending.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
I'm destined to see this as I'm a big fan of the books. I was hoping the reviews would be a little more positive.

You're kidding yourself if you think this movie will do even the slightest bit of reverence to the books.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Was he mad because he didn't follow the author's advice and actually read it to the end? If so it's your brother's fault. He was warned like the rest of us. Wink

He warned the readers that the true end was messed up. Crap or not is a matter of personal opinion.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

He warned the readers that the true end was messed up. Crap or not is a matter of personal opinion.

He also told folks to enjoy the end (at that point) for what it was and to journey no further. Repeatedly as I recall. Alas, many did not and read on past the proper ending of the series.

We've decided to go see this, but purely for entertainment, not trying to tie back to my favorite novel of all time.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Apparently, the movie isn't an adaptation of the novels. It's supposed to be a continuation from where the story ended. I guess that means all the people who've read the series can watch it without too much disappointment?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Apparently, the movie isn't an adaptation of the novels. It's supposed to be a continuation from where the story ended. I guess that means all the people who've read the series can watch it without too much disappointment?

Well isn't that a neat trick. They can just reboot and try again, any time they please, and just say it's an extension of the original story. All they have to do is start with "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
This is the text I got from my daughter yesterday who was a huge fan of the series:

quote:
David and I saw the dark tower! In an empty theater so we could yell at the screen... We've decided it's "evil mirror image universe" dark tower. Breaking hurts the breakers. Roland has a good relationship with his dad. Jake is poor and has a concerned loving mother. Walter does hardcore magic. Roland barely cares about the tower. He gets really hurt really alot. It's all backwards but very purposefully backwards. It's weird.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12390 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
This is the text I got from my daughter yesterday who was a huge fan of the series:

quote:
David and I saw the dark tower! In an empty theater so we could yell at the screen... We've decided it's "evil mirror image universe" dark tower. Breaking hurts the breakers. Roland has a good relationship with his dad. Jake is poor and has a concerned loving mother. Walter does hardcore magic. Roland barely cares about the tower. He gets really hurt really alot. It's all backwards but very purposefully backwards. It's weird.

saw it last night and her comments are right,

did think they somewhat had some parts of the story sorta in line with at least one book,

Roland did get hurt, did get help, and did heal, just not exactly like in the book,

also noticed a few references to past King movies,

picture of the Overlook Hotel in a frame on a desk or table,
neighbor kid playing with what looked like Christine
and the amusement park on mid earth had the ride named Pennywise,

surely I missed a few others

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post