Notify
Tools

Cinema Paradiso Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I had forgotten

I saw this film in 1991. I had forgotten what a truly fine film it is.

For those who love cinema, by those who love cinema, about those who love cinema.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it in the late 90s. Great Film.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I saw that it was on last night. Unfortunately, it had already been running for an hour when I saw it. I hit “record” for the remainder, but I’m disappointed that so much was missed.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's available on Amazon Video. Here's what IMDb has on it. I added it to my 'watch list' and might have to check it out tonight.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This film has a great ending.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I love this film.
That said, I hate the director's cut.
The original ending is so much better.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
What a delightful film! And Morricone's music was perfect. I rented it from Amazon for 48hrs and plan to watch it again tomorrow afternoon.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
In my response to para’s thread about “Cinema Paradiso” I lamented missing most of the movie. What I found out however, was that this was one of TCM’s guest nights. My favorite event on TCM was when the venerable Robert Osborne had a guest who selected several favorite movies. The two of them introduced each movie and then did a follow-up after the movie ran.

Ben Mankiewicz had a guest that night, Robert Wagner. I always thought he was a likeable guy and he’s been in TV and movies for decades. Wagner led off his selections with “Cinema Paradiso,” followed by “The Brave Cowboy,” “This Property is Condemned,” and finally 1939’s “The Four Feathers.”

A.E.W. Mason’s 1902 novel, “The Four Feathers,” has been filmed seven times. I had never seen this version directed by Zoltan Korda. In fact I last saw the abysmal 2002 adaption with Heath Ledger. This was a great movie.

I next watched “The Brave Cowboy.” Mankiewicz and Wagner discussed screenwriter, Dalton Trumbo, but never mentioned the author of the novel that the screenplay originated from, Ed Abbey. Abbey remains an important writer in my coming of age in the SW. I’ve seen this one before, a couple times. I enjoyed watching it again.

I have yet to watch, “This Property is Condemned,” nor have I as yet watched Mankiewicz and Wagner discuss the movie. You will recall Wagner was rightly or wrongly, implicated in the death of his wife (they married twice), Natalie Wood. Obviously, he’s comfortable with the controversy since he chose this movie. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this one. That’s next.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Lonely are the Brave is the film with Kirk Douglas and a Trumbo screenplay and it's a favorite of mine, except I find the ending very difficult to watch.

The Korda version of The Four Feather is head and shuldes above any ther versions.

Of the four films you've mentioned, you'll probably like This Property is Condemned the least. Based upon a lesser known Tennessee Williams play, this film would appeal more to women than men IMO. The film also has a rather unsatisfying ending. However, Natalie Wood in that tight aqua dress is worth seeing.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lonely are the Brave is the film with Kirk Douglas and a Trumbo screenplay and it's a favorite of mine, except I find the ending very difficult to watch.

Of course. “The Brave Cowboy” is the name of Abbey’s novel, the source of Trumbo’s screenplay.

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite films. It really gave me a deep appreciation for foreign cinema.

The director, Guiseppe Tornatore, did another film that is in my personal Top Ten. It is The Legend of 1900. It's not well known but it is fantastic. I have embedded on of my favorite scenes below. It is set on cruise ship in the midst of a severe storm.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Great film. It always reminds me of a summer after college in the 80s when I assisted in projecting films outdoors on a big wall just like Paradiso. Century changeover projectors with Peerless Magnarc carbon arc lamphouses. It truly was a magical way to see a movie, compared to digital cinema nowadays. Stressful to operate, had to watch those little donut marks at the end of each reel. But it was fun.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Of the four films you've mentioned, you'll probably like This Property is Condemned the least. Based upon a lesser known Tennessee Williams play, this film would appeal more to women than men IMO. The film also has a rather unsatisfying ending. However, Natalie Wood in that tight aqua dress is worth seeing.

I agree that the ending is unsatisfying, still, Natalie Wood was just mesmerizing in this movie. She and Redford were great together.

I liked all three of the movies Wagner selected, just wish I could have seen Cinema Paradiso as well.

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
You can catch it on Amazon Video--$3.99 for a 48hr rental. I wound up watching it three times.

If anyone noticed the (outstanding) music, here's Yo-Yo Ma with the composer Ennio Morricone performing Nostalgia from Cinema Paradiso:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/yhWG7sEO_No