SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Physical Comedians
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Physical Comedians Login/Join 
posted
Their actions not their words are hilarious. Charlie Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy are some of my favorites. I like the Three Stooges as well. As a rule, women do not like them very much. I can watch some of these routines again, and they are still funny.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I vote for Charlie Chapman too. But also Rodney Dangerfield – the tug on the tie & facial expressions.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Chris Farley and Brian Regan

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I vote for Charlie Chapman too. But also Rodney Dangerfield – the tug on the tie & facial expressions.

I wouldn't call Rodney a physical comedian albeit one of the greatest of all time.
FWIW, watched a documentary lately on Netflix about Rodney and it was very interesting.

More like Michael Richards, Carrot Top, Gallagher and old time greats like Lucille Ball and Red Skelton.
Those I would call "physical".
There are more I am sure and already mentioned.
The greatest was the 3 Stooges by far.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Yesteryears:
Buster Keaton
Harold Lloyd

Current:
Jackie Chan

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Marx Brothers (in particular Groucho and Harpo, even though Groucho was somewhat anti-physical)
Laurel and Hardy
Red Skelton
Buster Keaton
Ben Turpin
Danny Kaye
Jerry Lewis
Flip Wilson
Amos and Andy
W.C. Fields
Peter Sellers
Don Knotts
Carol Burnett
Pythons
Mel Brooks
Rowan Atkinson

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Robin Williams

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
The guy that smashes stuff?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W.C.Fields.

Woman: "Mr Fields, I heard you buried your Wife".

Fields: "yesssss, had to, she died".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
TCM just showed The Bank Dick, a classic. Guy was a magician as well.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Tim Conway

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1925 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Téa Leoni is a great physical comedienne, often compared with Lucille Ball.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Tim Conway

I second this motion. His dentist sketch was physical comedy gold.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhookbklyn:
Tim Conway

I second this motion. His dentist sketch was physical comedy gold.

Tim claimed that Harvey wetted himself.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Well, Tim Conway tops my list but he is a close second to John Cleese of Monty Python and Fawlty Towers fame

Gallagher is the guy that used to smash melons and he was pretty funny

Rodney of course

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Unlike many others, when ever I think of Larry Hagman, I never think of Dallas, but always I Dream of Jeannie and I thought he was an excellent pratfall comedian.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
John Ritter as Jack Tripper in Three’s Company.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
If you haven’t seen Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton (e.g. The General), you owe it to yourself to find them on the interwebz and enjoy!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Ben Stiller --- not totally physical comedy, but his facial expressions are priceless.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've seen three stooges and laurel and hardy and laughed at them.

But for physicality, I think Don Knotts was top notch even with just his facial expressions.

I was saddened how they made him into a caricature of what he was in three's a company even though he was brought in because he was a hero of the lead.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post