SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    In praise of Publix Super Markets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In praise of Publix Super Markets Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
What wonderful grocery stores.

They're an employee-owned company started in Florida in 1930. They now have 1200+ stores in the southeast.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
The best. Floridians may be crazy people as a whole, but we got Publix right.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Yes they are. It really is a pleasure to shop there although I use the Kroger mostly, they are closer and a bit cheaper. Their deli and bakery are the shiznit. Best fried chicken and sandwiches

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we go there, I make it a point to go the bakery for some bread and a bread seasoning container. Just mix with olive oil and dip the bread. It is really good. Another great item is there, crab stuffing when you want to make fish. It is amazing.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does the film rival" Because of Winn Dixie?"

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
they're slowly moving north, but the closest one is still 35 miles away just south of Fredericksburg.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love Publix!!!!
I so wish we had them here but I don’t think they will try to break into this market. We are way too close to Kroger’s home base.
Publix is the only place I do our shopping when at our place in Florida.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have 2 publix in close proximity to me. At one most folks return their carts to the cart coral and the other, they just give them a shove!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeGLI:
The best. Floridians may be crazy people as a whole, but in spite of that, Publix got it right .
fixed it for ya!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Anytime Mrs.BurtonRW and I vacation in a southerly direction, one of the most important things to know is where the closest Publix is. And we always come back with a bag of peaches, oranges, nectarines... whatever is in season. The only fruit we can seem to get up here is "gassed to perfection", suitable for playing baseball in many cases, and generally un-tasty.

They just need to keep creeping north, but alas, I don't blame them for not expanding into Maryland. I wouldn't.

Frown

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Drawing closer to home for online grocery ordering is catching on with Publix, finally for the closer stores. Recently I've used a Walmart for online order and pick up but had to travel a good bit farther south. Now with the local Publix online ordering, I can order my favorite deli boars head subs my way and odds and ends that Publix always fit the bill. Same day pick-up, designated parking spaces, use the phone app upon arrival and the groceries are brought to the car.

Due to mobility constraints I can no longer do the in-store cruising that I enjoyed in the past so the online ordering really hits the spot. And I'm very pleased that our local store now offers this service. I've been shopping Publix since the late 60's and it's always been a good grocery shopping experience.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Does the film rival" Because of Winn Dixie?"

LOL. We had Winn Dixie stores here in Alabama and I recall many trips as a child with my mother.

I didn’t remember that that Dave Matthews was in the film.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Publix. It's about all we had in south FL in the 70's, maybe a Winn Dixie or 2, but we didn't go there too often. I love their deli subs!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Would one of you please tell my wife to shop only at Publix? We live across the street from a new Publix. She drives five miles to shop at a crowded ancient Krogers. I may have to see a lawyer.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I always liked their key lime pies when visiting Florida.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Yep there a staple here for as long as memory serves. No I take that back, in the early sixties they crept North enough to open a store. And first "Piggley Wiggley" went down the tubes and Winn Dixie has floundered every since.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Pretty good selection of organic produce for a grocery store ( that’s what we call them down here). That’s what I buy mostly.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Publix and go to Publix for my grocery shopping. But, their bakery has gone totally downhill in the past 5 years......everything is under cooked and half cooked dough......Dutch apple pies, cookies, other pies, etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
Great store, but it looks like they also fell into the virtue signalling business, and Florida isn't even an open carry state anyway...

Roll Eyes

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/f...ovgssmuoq-story.html

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
Publix in our area, and I guess everywhere, seems to be a little more expensive than other stores. But my wife and I (and my dad, before he passed last year) are willing to pay a smidgen more for their customer service.
My dad always appreciated the fact, that when he asked where something was, they would walk him to it...not just point in a direction and tell him the aisle number.

Posts: 739 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post